What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do jet bumpers have solid lamp holder legs??

Joules

Registered
5Years
Hi all,

Just doing a full restoration on an MB. I have always wondered why pinball machine 'jet bumper' lamp holders have solid legs and are stapled to the underside of the PF.

Surely it would make more sense to use lampholders with flexible wire tails so that simple connectors could be added allowing for much easier removal. These wires could still be routed so as not to foul the jet bumper workings.

Or perhaps the reason for solid is to better fasten the assembly to the PF.

I would guess it is because flexible wires may wear through their insulation and short out on the pop bumper body. It also keeps the bulb seated at the bottom of the bumper and so doesn't cause the hot bulb to melt the cap but then again I'm probably wrong!!!

Not sure of the history, but later holders with flexible leads sit higher in the body resulting in the lamp lying to one side and in contact with the bumper cap.

i thought it might be to tie/hold the holder to the PF as tight as possible to protect the bulb from Vibrations from the pops (as in stop the bulb being vibrated out of the holder..)

The Bally modular pop bumper (introduced on Eight Ball Deluxe), did have flexible wire leads attached to the small pcb holding the #555 bulb.

And early Stern games such as Meteor or Seawitch, again using a modular bumper (inherited from Chicago Coin) had a #44 lampholder, with solid flat leads bent over and flexible wire attached.

I'd concur with Matt that a primary consideration would be to prevent the lamp/holder from 'riding up with wear' and damaging the bumper cap.

Last edited:
The Bally modular pop bumper (introduced somewhere between Space Invaders and Centaur), did have flexible leads attached to the small pcb holding the #555 bulb.

And early Stern games such as Meteor or Seawitch, again using a modular bumper (inherited from Chicago Coin) had a #44 lampholder, with solid flat leads bent over and flexible leads attached.

I'd concur with Matt that a primary consideration would be to prevent the lamp/holder from 'riding up with wear' and damaging the bumper cap.
I normally install premium 2 LEDs which rest on the bumper cap anyway?

I decided to go with solid legs i.e. the STD bulb holder but modified the fixing to secure without staples. I will use push on fully insulated spade connectors (not the one in the photo). This setup will make any future maintenance much easier.

20141022_205351small.jpg

20141022_205536small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom