What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Fancies a New MM?

I thought that at first. But after watching the latest vid of that game I actually think it looks pretty good!

I heard a review on the Coast 2 Coast pinball podcast saying it was a really good playing game, kind of old school system 11 feeling :)

I had a few goes on it in the states and it was good fun. As with all these machines, until you've played them you can't really know.

Just because something is rare does not automatically make it desirable, there are plenty of rare pins out there that no one gives a hoot about, I doubt predator will be one of those but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding, if it rocks then it will be sought after, if it's a turd in short supply then that is exactly what it will end up being.

Last edited:
Scarcity is a factor but not the only one. Waterworld and Lost In Space are both pretty limited so their value is higher than their "playability" would suggest but not massively so. TAF is hardly rare but the demand for it keeps the price high. If I'm being honest I'd be surprised if the value of Predator ever falls from it's intial figure due to the popularity of the theme. With MMr and the limited Hobbit though I'd expect these to tumble in value the same way AC/DC and WOZ have. If they are good games then the fall will be small.

And to confirm I'm up for joint delivery (and know another buyer who would be). Not quite certian how we square this with the Skit B boys though

I think the thing here is that you have circa 3.5k invested in a machine, if it does not deliver (which I am sure it will) then that 3.5k would be better invested into an alternative A lister, I would not expect the MMR price to tumble as this is the most desirable pin of all time and the global demand for this game far outstrips anything else that has been released, this would possibly change if more were announced, JJP has already proved himself with WOZ so Hobbit will no doubt be a great title with awesome build quality, theme speaks for itself, if the Hobbit turns out as expected then this should also hold its value pretty well, no doubt in 12-18 months we will have the answer to all the above although we are sounding like speculators rather than pinheads at this point.

I can't help but question the price point of MMR, apart from the fact that they can sell them at an inflated price due to years of pent up demand and high price of the original can the actual cost be justified? I mean if you look at a WOZ you can see why it costs £6.5K but does the technology in MMR in anyway account for its final price? Or is this the largest profit margin any pinball manufacturer has built into a machine?

I agree it is steep, but demand does dictate prices. Will be interesting to see what price they set for the next remake. Can't see any other WMS/Bally remake having the same kind of demand as MM.

I can't help but question the price point of MMR, apart from the fact that they can sell them at an inflated price due to years of pent up demand and high price of the original can the actual cost be justified? I mean if you look at a WOZ you can see why it costs £6.5K but does the technology in MMR in anyway account for its final price? Or is this the largest profit margin any pinball manufacturer has built into a machine?

You could equally question why they have made it so 'cheap' ...

It sold out pretty quickly so I guess they could have added another $1000 onto the price no problem.

I know $7k is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but they are remaking MM to make money and no other reason..

As a pinhead its way to expensive but using a business head it is probably on the cheap side given demand.

There's no denying that this remake has had an impact on MM prices. 12 months ago they were £6500. Now they are floating nearer £5000-£5500. Its lots of people's grail pin. And lots of those people will now own one in 6 months which will only serve to lower the demand even more.

Yup, have to agree with the above statements, it is way over priced considering most of the ground work is already in place, yet it could have been marketed for more as Biglan suggests (greed is a powerful potion) and original MM prices have certainly taken a knock and continue to do so, the other factor is the number that have been made available since the announcement as compared to the rare parting at inflated prices beforehand.

Yup, have to agree with the above statements, it is way over priced considering most of the ground work is already in place, yet it could have been marketed for more as Biglan suggests (greed is a powerful potion) and original MM prices have certainly taken a knock and continue to do so, the other factor is the number that have been made available since the announcement as compared to the rare parting at inflated prices beforehand.

I also think that the number of half decent new Stern titles in recent years, and subsequent 2nd hand market for them ...is beginning to impact on the desire/demand for what are basically 20 year old games. MM for all its fans *is* beginning to look long in the tooth. I know if I was thinking of dumping 5K into a new pin I'd certainly be going for a new title rather than old. Never personally owned a MM, but seen and played it so many times over the years I feel no urge to. Feels like old news to me.

Still think the MMR 2nd hand value is likely to drop by quite a margin from it's initial NIB price. Assuming they make 2000+ of this title that's a huge increase in supply. I'm still in for one but as such it's got to be a keeper for me rather than something that I want to sell on in the future.

It'll be interesting to see how it compares the the price of the original in a few years time. The original will always have a more collectable aspect to a certian type of collector but the condition of the remakes when they come onto the 2nd hand market will presumably be better than the older ones.

That's true that does look like it will be a turd

For me it's a duff theme, but the whole thing with the America's Most Haunted pin is that it has pretty much been hand build/designed by Ben Heckendorn (with some design help from John Popaduik) as a friendly "who can build their pin first" competition with Jeri Elsworth.

I've been following the videos from the start and it's been interesting to follow the whole design/production journey.

It may end up being a duffer, but it's been amazing to see what a guy who builds things in his garage with a laser cutter and a 3d printer can do

Not really been following this MM remake since I dropped out, so and went back to have a look at the progress.

Wow, I hate to say it but the quality of the trim looks like crap! From what I can tell you get to choose between an awful, cheap looking mustard coloured trim, or even cheaper looking Hammerite black trim?

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mmr-trim-update-gold-and-black/

I wouldn't want either on mine that's for sure.

The colours aren't great. I think most people thought the black would be nice and smooth. Can't really see a problem with doing this. The Red AC/DC trim looks fantastic, it must be possible to do this in black. The dimpled effect really looks like a cheap DE machine

FFS!

If they are going to the effort of doing this then do it properly.

Just make it exactly the same as the original. Make all parts interchangeable with an original, make the boards original and interchangeable, make it so that the original manual matches up to everything including the colours of the wires so anyone servicing the damn machine can service it just like an original.

Everything seems to be about saving money these days.

Back in the day you had to pay someone to design the layout, someone to do the art, someone to do the music, someone to do sound, someone to do dot animations, someone to code the game, engineers to spec out parts to be made, someone to write the manaul. The design work is done! The retail price is significantly higher than an original would have cost back in the day, so do they still need to do things to save money?

Back
Top Bottom