What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White water - playfield production video

Yes running it constantly makes up for the slow speed, plus could you get a human to do a mind numbingly boaring job like that without making mistakes ?

Last edited:
I guess 24hrs a day and precision mean it can get through more in a week that are in better condition so increased production. But how much would that kit need to make to repay the investment. I understand playfields were made by various companies, did the introduction of these machines moved the playfield manufacturing from traditional builders to companies who used these techniques on other products?

Yes they probably did. A division of my company makes assembly line robotics and they can be very generic machines (put this bit here then pick this bit and put it there etc.) and so a generic production-line robot can do a whole host of things. Once you've taught it where the inserts go you can give it a big bucket of plastic inserts and a line of playfields and off you go.

Interesting to know that Xenon.
So in that video, the first thing we see is a table that sets up the inserts. The robot then picks them up, does it use a suction to do that?
Then the arm goes to the playfield, cleans the hole, applies the glue and then pushes in the insert.
Pretty impressive really.

Would it just use the weight of the arm to push them in or use air pressure there as well?

I went to a factory in Slovenia the other year and the owner is abit of a mad inventor. He had built a machine that uses robots to seperate spent ammo from ammo clips and then reassembles with new ammo. All of which is normally done by hand everywhere else. Which was quite smart

I went to a factory in Slovenia the other year and the owner is abit of a mad inventor. He had built a machine that uses robots to seperate spent ammo from ammo clips and then reassembles with new ammo. All of which is normally done by hand everywhere else. Which was quite smart

and any incidents with stray bullets can only harm another robots; thus delaying the inevitable robot apocalypse by an extra day or so - which is nice.

Generally the problem with doing things fast is the inertia. If the operating head that picks and places the part is complex (i.e. it dispenses glue / epoxy or puts seals and other finishes to the assembly) then moving it and rotating it quickly is a whole area of technology, due to the weight of the head / arm. If it overshoots then you lose positional accuracy so it has to slow the motion as it approaches the set point. This needs very high-torque motors or pneumatics with clever matching valves.

That does seem slow [the video] and one wonders if it was slowed a bit for the purposes of the film.

Lol AREX is actually a really cool factory they make gun parts, ammo, body armour Alsorts. Some of their machines are very high tech they have a whole wing just for making rifle barrels. They have an underground firing range and a room full of guns. I had a go on a FN herstal semi auto assault rifle

Lol AREX is actually a really cool factory they make gun parts, ammo, body armour Alsorts. Some of their machines are very high tech they have a whole wing just for making rifle barrels. They have an underground firing range and a room full of guns. I had a go on a FN herstal semi auto assault rifle

Did I mention the diary thing?

That insert fitting robot is really cool! It does more than I expected it to. I'd have though they just bash in the inserts, but the whole following the contour of the shape with glue is really cool

Back
Top Bottom