What's new

Whirlwind multiball problem

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Hey folks
This faults got me and my mate going crazy.
I appreciate this will make more sense to WW owners or previous owners!! It might get confusing!! So bare with me.

He recently picked up a WW. Once 2 balls are locked, the 3rd ball is ejected into the shooter lane. Normally at this point the ramp flap should lift to reveal the 3rd ball lock and the left ramp should be lit to release the 2 locked balls. but it won't lift the ramp flap and allow you to lock the 3rd ball to start multiball.
Nor will it light the left ramp to release the 2 locked balls. It's as if it doesn't realise it's got to start multiball!!!

However the display shows 2 balls locked, and multiball ready so it knows it has 2 balls locked. But as soon as you plunge it doesn't give you the option to start multiball. Aaarrggggghhhhhhhhh

In switch test all switches are fine. Including the trough and shooter lane switches.
I know these switches cause multiball problems on WW. But they are fine.

I'm told by my mate that he has had it working normally this evening so it's intermittent.

The only way to start the multiball is to manually drop a ball on to the 3rd ball lock switch, which obviously isn't an option during gameplay as the diverter won't allow it.

Got us stumped. Any advice, as always, gratefully received.

Gaz

I'd suspect some sort of wear or an alighnment problem on the ramp flamp lifter mechanism may be causing the issue... :hmm:

Thanks Peter. The ramp works fine for quick multiball and when operated in test mode.
We suspected perhaps a corrupt ROM, as they appear to be brand new with the suppliers sticker on them. However after reseatting them, the music and fan won't work!!! Arggghhh

However after reseatting them, the music and fan won't work!!!

Check for corrosion on the chip legs or more likely cold solder joints on the sockets? Pull the boards and see if there's been any dodgy repairs.

Back
Top Bottom