What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which is better?

Arv

Registered
Alias
static.rapidonline.com_catalogueimages_Module_M400861P01WL.jpg

img_asia.electrocomponents.com_largeimages_R2263922_06.jpg

Just going to order some ic sockets, which ones are better i can't remember?

I'd take a a quality standard dip socket over a crappy cheapo turned pin one. If you are buying from a quality supplier, I'd spend the few pence more on a nice socket.

However, I always think the turned pin ones look a bit out of place.

Also, sometimes you'll find components under dip sockets, so have a look before you replace.

crappy cheapo turned pin one

Interestingly most Turned pin sockets are much more expensive (2x the price)... (Just double checked on CPC to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ****, since they were last time i checked!!) :)

The reason why supposedly turned pin are better is that they are machined to have a better/tighter fit on the legs of a chip, meaning that they are less likely to creep due to repeated heating/cooling action, along with it providing a better contact with the chip itself.

is there a list of common parts used on pins with their cpc codes ?

Interestingly most Turned pin sockets are much more expensive (2x the price)... (Just double checked on CPC to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ****, since they were last time i checked!!) :)

The reason why supposedly turned pin are better is that they are machined to have a better/tighter fit on the legs of a chip, meaning that they are less likely to creep due to repeated heating/cooling action, along with it providing a better contact with the chip itself.

What I'm saying is the quality of the product is more important than the type.

I'm got some 20+ year old DIP sockets I'd be happy to use today, but also some 6 month old ones which are a tarnish fest.

Back
Top Bottom