What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to try machines?

No. It's a cheaper, smaller pinball machine that is - AFAIK - designed to be harder to maintain, and is probably overpriced for what it is. You can get a nice classic second-hand pin with a better ruleset for the same price.

The big 'plus' of modern Sterns is that they have very complex rulesets compared to older pins. Thus, people feel you're less likely to reach Wizard mode and, subsequently, get bored of the gameplay. The 'home pin' won't have that benefit.
Thanks Vee, appreciate the feedback. I don't want to buy one of the home versions but just curious to the difference.

I played the JP2 home pin last week - it has pretty deep code considering but materials wise its designed on a budget, but I'd have it over many older games, it's not more difficult to maintain (where did that come from?); and pricing of many other games in the market is way over the top also!

aounds like you need something like Deadpool or Medieval Madness (get a remake easy to get up the stairs and 1000 times more reliable than the original) - maybe Stranger Things or Godzilla.
JP2 I suspect will frustrate you. Ghostbusters is just a turd from a gameplay POV (sadly as the theme is a winner for me).

Completely agree with Neil, other than the fact that I still like GB enough to keep my Premium. Medieval Madness is probably the most accessible pin out there, and I’d argue it’s pretty much the perfect first pin if you have the budget for one. It was the second machine we ever bought around 18 years ago, and it would be the very last machine to leave. Guests also love it.

JP2 is one of the most frustrating machines I’ve ever owned. Total dream theme and I loved it at first, but as time went on it just became less and less fun to play. It’s incredibly unforgiving, and unless you’re a good player you aren’t going to see much of the game. It‘s also been very unpopular with friends.

I’d echo the advice re getting a modern Stern (or Medieval Madness Remake) if you have to get machines upstairs. They’re lighter than other machines, and it’s much easier to remove the back box and get the playfield out. Don’t even consider a Jersey Jack or wide body WMS. I once helped get a Twilight Zone up a staircase and it was a nightmare.

I’ve just moved around 90 mins south of you. My machines are being stored whilst I convert an outbuilding but you’d be welcome to come visit when the project is completed and the pins are moved in.

I am, as evidenced by my league results, probably the worst pinball player posting on these forums and - genuinely - I love JP2. I also love TNA, on which my ball times are measured in milliseconds, and I enjoy a wide range of vintage pins that require precision accuracy (which I don’t have).

JP2 is far more frustrating than TNA. Different league entirely. Had them sitting next to each other for ages and TNA got much more play. It was also very popular with visitors.

Completely agree with Neil, other than the fact that I still like GB enough to keep my Premium. Medieval Madness is probably the most accessible pin out there, and I’d argue it’s pretty much the perfect first pin if you have the budget for one. It was the second machine we ever bought around 18 years ago, and it would be the very last machine to leave. Guests also love it.

JP2 is one of the most frustrating machines I’ve ever owned. Total dream theme and I loved it at first, but as time went on it just became less and less fun to play. It’s incredibly unforgiving, and unless you’re a good player you aren’t going to see much of the game. It‘s also been very unpopular with friends.

I’d echo the advice re getting a modern Stern (or Medieval Madness Remake) if you have to get machines upstairs. They’re lighter than other machines, and it’s much easier to remove the back box and get the playfield out. Don’t even consider a Jersey Jack or wide body WMS. I once helped get a Twilight Zone up a staircase and it was a nightmare.

I’ve just moved around 90 mins south of you. My machines are being stored whilst I convert an outbuilding but you’d be welcome to come visit when the project is completed and the pins are moved in.

JP2 is far more frustrating than TNA. Different league entirely. Had them sitting next to each other for ages and TNA got much more play. It was also very popular with visitors.
That's really helpful, thank you for the insight. I think the feedback from this thread has now put me off a JP (at least until I've got a feel for things) and I'll stick to the Sterns based on the recommendations on getting them up (and down) the stairs. I'll keep looking, Godzilla looks like a good bet and I was looking at Medieval Madness online last night, again looks fun.

And thanks for the offer of a visit - sounds like a plan when you are ready.

Richard

That's really helpful, thank you for the insight. I think the feedback from this thread has now put me off a JP (at least until I've got a feel for things) and I'll stick to the Sterns based on the recommendations on getting them up (and down) the stairs. I'll keep looking, Godzilla looks like a good bet and I was looking at Medieval Madness online last night, again looks fun.

And thanks for the offer of a visit - sounds like a plan when you are ready.

Richard
I’ve got to say… I‘ve played JP2 quite a lot at Funland in the Brunswick Centre, in London, and - personally - find it more accessible to a terrible pinball player than, say, the Mandalorian (another Stern pin).

However, I’ll take the advice of people who’ve owned it that it’s frustrating if you‘ve got it at home. Certainly, if you’re only going to buy one pin, I’d recommend Godzilla in preference to JP2 - it seems to appeal to (almost) everyone.

I’ve got to say… I‘ve played JP2 quite a lot at Funland in the Brunswick Centre, in London, and - personally - find it more accessible to a terrible pinball player than, say, the Mandalorian (another Stern pin).

However, I’ll take the advice of people who’ve owned it that it’s frustrating if you‘ve got it at home. Certainly, if you’re only going to buy one pin, I’d recommend Godzilla in preference to JP2 - it seems to appeal to (almost) everyone.
Sounds like Godzilla it is then!

I've been offered (very kindly) to go and try one out next month from one of the forum members so I'll see what it's like.

I will definitely try to get a go on a JP as well.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd update this thread with a little update as everyone was kind enough to offer suggestions and advice before.

We decided to clear out our kids downstairs play room (my youngest daughter wasn't very happy about this!) and turn it into a pinball room. The first machine is already in there - a Stern Spider-Man (thanks Scott!) which we really love, and I have GZ Premium and Cactus Canyon Remake on order. Looks like GZ is imminent.

The thought of lifting machines up and down the stairs finally got the better of us and we decided to keep them downstairs and close to the front door. It also means we can swap them without too much hassle.

I'm slowly learning some of the maintenance like replacing bulbs and cleaning, and so far really enjoying this hobby (why are hobbies always so expensive?!)

Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom