What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to try machines?

richs01

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and pinball in general, and have been trying to get my head around the various manufacturers out there. I'm at the stage of signing off designs for a new games room in my loft, and I'd love to get a couple of pinball machines up there as part of the space. I've spoken to a few people about virtual pins, but I'd really like to look for at least one, maybe two, real machines too.

The amount of information out there seems a little overwhelming. I can see that the price of machines seem to have crept up, and much as I like the look of a Stern Ghostbusters Premium, it has a significant price tag to match it. Or, I can potentially order a JP Premium and wait a year to get it! I'm not in a huge hurry as the games room won't be ready until later in the year.

The thing I can't seem to fathom out though, is where I can actually go and try a few machines out without being pushed to buy one? As in, get a feel for it, see which type of thing I like etc. I'm just outside of Reading in Berkshire. Is there somewhere everyone goes to, to meet up and play different machines? Or a show perhaps?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Richard

This is a great place not too far from you (Croydon), £15 flat entry fee and tons of games to play - open Thursday evenings and weekends:

Some members here live close to you and may be willing to let you play their private collections in exchange for beer tokens or something :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

I'll check the local Brewdog first but if any members want to get in touch, that would be most appreciated (and I'll bring beer)

This is a great place not too far from you (Croydon), £10 flat entry fee and tons of games to play - open Thursday evenings and weekends:

Some members here live close to you and may be willing to let you play their private collections in exchange for beer tokens or something :)
Highly highly recommend Pinball Republic. It's £15 a visit or £20 a month for membership but you have unlimited free games during that time (all games set to free play) With 50 or 60 games there it is perfect to try out a ton of games and see what you like. Modern Sterns, 90s games, classics etc... Brilliant and friendly people around to help if you need advice as well.

Good luck! If I can offer any advice, don't get stuck on owning a particular title. Set a budget, buy a game at a fair price so you don't lose money, enjoy it then move it on when you want a change :thumbs:

Highly highly recommend Pinball Republic. It's £15 a visit or £20 a month for membership but you have unlimited free games during that time (all games set to free play) With 50 or 60 games there it is perfect to try out a ton of games and see what you like. Modern Sterns, 90s games, classics etc... Brilliant and friendly people around to help if you need advice as well.
OK thank you, I'll check it out, think I'll arrange a visit.

Welcome to the forum ☺
You mentioned the games room being in the loft, just wondering if anyone else has experience with that/have you thought about how you'd get a game up there?

I quickly found out even getting up stairs etc. was likely difficult enough that I gave up on that idea, but never tried it myself.

Welcome to the forum ☺
You mentioned the games room being in the loft, just wondering if anyone else has experience with that/have you thought about how you'd get a game up there?

I quickly found out even getting up stairs etc. was likely difficult enough that I gave up on that idea, but never tried it myself.
Thank you :)

I've put some thought into getting everything up the stairs but the same applies, in some way, to getting furniture up there I suppose, albeit I know pinball machines are pretty heavy. I've assumed I'll need to take the back box off any machine I buy and get it up the stairs, with help, on a stair trolley (one of the ones with three wheels on each side). I guess I can also take the glass out to reduce weight a little.

It's a full loft conversion so will have a new bedroom and a pretty decent sized games room, enough for a few pinball machines, pool table, bar area etc. I don't really want to be changing the pinball machines too much, hence the idea of a virtual machine, but then I saw the Stern machines and they look amazing!

Another vote for Pinball Republic.

It is well worth the trip and there is more than enough games to keep you busy for the day. My son and I travel up from Hampshire (similar distance from Reading to Croydon) and we're there for the whole day. We make ourselves a little pack lunch and make a full day of it, we're out for the whole day. My wife loves it when my son and I head off to Pinball Republic for day for some reason.

Thank you :)

I've put some thought into getting everything up the stairs but the same applies, in some way, to getting furniture up there I suppose, albeit I know pinball machines are pretty heavy. I've assumed I'll need to take the back box off any machine I buy and get it up the stairs, with help, on a stair trolley (one of the ones with three wheels on each side). I guess I can also take the glass out to reduce weight a little.

It's a full loft conversion so will have a new bedroom and a pretty decent sized games room, enough for a few pinball machines, pool table, bar area etc. I don't really want to be changing the pinball machines too much, hence the idea of a virtual machine, but then I saw the Stern machines and they look amazing!
Not teaching you to suck eggs, but you should really try and lift one, even 20 yards along a flat, with a mate to get a real appreciation of what’s involved. Yes removing back box (easy IF you know how) and removing glass will all help, but I have a lovely hernia thanks to moving those little beauties. They are heavy as many on here can vouch. Good luck 👍🏼

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but you should really try and lift one, even 20 yards along a flat, with a mate to get a real appreciation of what’s involved. Yes removing back box (easy IF you know how) and removing glass will all help, but I have a lovely hernia thanks to moving those little beauties. They are heavy as many on here can vouch. Good luck 👍🏼
Not a bad idea!

I'd hoped removing the back box on a newer machine might be easier but I do appreciate the weight of getting this up stairs. Looking at specs they weight slightly more than me (I'm 6' 6" tall) so I'm equating it to lifting myself up the stairs!

If it's absolutely impossible, I'll have to hire an electric stair lifter (or buy one).

Or I turn my existing lounge into a pinball room!

If it's absolutely impossible, I'll have to hire an electric stair lifter (or buy one).
Anything's possible! I think you'll be surprised just the weight of a populated playfield. It was heavier than I thought it would be! Empty cabinet, transformer off too if necessary isn't too bad. A head is weighty too, even empty. So stripped, yeah you'll manage. Otherwise unless you're some kind of superhuman I think you'll struggle And how big is the loft hatch?

Anything's possible! I think you'll be surprised just the weight of a populated playfield. It was heavier than I thought it would be! Empty cabinet, transformer off too if necessary isn't too bad. A head is weighty too, even empty. So stripped, yeah you'll manage. Otherwise unless you're some kind of superhuman I think you'll struggle And how big is the loft hatch?

I hope so!

There will be a normal set of stairs going up to the loft. I've actually asked the architect to modify the plan a little to make room to get things up the stairs, but there will be a small landing at the top and then the games room on one side.

I'm thinking the key here is a combination of a stair trolley, and taking out as much weight as possible before lifting it up the stairs. I'd also do a practice run with a cardboard box mock up just to make sure it will go up the stairs, as there is a 90 degree turn 2/3rds of the way up the first set of stairs (to my first floor). Then a straight run to the loft conversion.

Can the playfield be removed? Or are we potentially talking about removing a lot of cables here? I'm headed towards one of the newer Stern machines.

Thanks

Richard

I hope so!

There will be a normal set of stairs going up to the loft. I've actually asked the architect to modify the plan a little to make room to get things up the stairs, but there will be a small landing at the top and then the games room on one side.

I'm thinking the key here is a combination of a stair trolley, and taking out as much weight as possible before lifting it up the stairs. I'd also do a practice run with a cardboard box mock up just to make sure it will go up the stairs, as there is a 90 degree turn 2/3rds of the way up the first set of stairs (to my first floor). Then a straight run to the loft conversion.

Can the playfield be removed? Or are we potentially talking about removing a lot of cables here? I'm headed towards one of the newer Stern machines.

Thanks

Richard
Oh yeah maintenance has to be and has been made simpler over the years. Loads of photos and some care and you're fine removing and replacing playfields. If it's a regular size staircase it won't be a problem.

Sizing is much the same on pinballs there's usually the sizes printed on the flyers. Piece at a time and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Oh yeah maintenance has to be and has been made simpler over the years. Loads of photos and some care and you're fine removing and replacing playfields. If it's a regular size staircase it won't be a problem.

Sizing is much the same on pinballs there's usually the sizes printed on the flyers. Piece at a time and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Thanks Dex-Jay.

If all goes to plan, I'll be getting the pinball machines before the loft conversion is ready and putting them in our lounge for a few months, so I'll get a good idea of looking after them as well as how they are put together. I'm sure that, with a bit of help, I can get it up the stairs!

My machines are upstairs. The newer sterns are pretty easy to separate. The first one I bought from pinball heaven and they got it upstairs for me. Copying what they did, myself and my husband managed to get the next one up by ourselves. Backbox off, glass and playfield out, it’s only a few cables on the modern sterns. We just lifted the empty cabinet between the two of us, no dolly.

Although its completely doable between the two of us at the moment we have been thinking about getting the garage converted, partly for more space but mostly because we won’t be able to get machines up and down by ourselves forever. Depends how often you want to swap machines and if you’ve got anyone else to help with the lifting

Will the floors be strong enough in a loft, ensure they will be able to hold two pins,
Might easier to have a fully opening window and have a winch system fitted maybe, I’m not engineer though,

Anyone mentioned pinfest in August? That's in Daventry and a great weekend to discover all sort of games.

My machines are upstairs. The newer sterns are pretty easy to separate. The first one I bought from pinball heaven and they got it upstairs for me. Copying what they did, myself and my husband managed to get the next one up by ourselves. Backbox off, glass and playfield out, it’s only a few cables on the modern sterns. We just lifted the empty cabinet between the two of us, no dolly.

Although its completely doable between the two of us at the moment we have been thinking about getting the garage converted, partly for more space but mostly because we won’t be able to get machines up and down by ourselves forever. Depends how often you want to swap machines and if you’ve got anyone else to help with the lifting
Thanks Jib, that's really reassuring. I was planning on ordering a machine from Pinball Heaven anyway so maybe they can help lift, but it's good to know I can take it apart to an extent. Thanks for the response.

Will the floors be strong enough in a loft, ensure they will be able to hold two pins,
Might easier to have a fully opening window and have a winch system fitted maybe, I’m not engineer though,
I hope so! We've got a new bedroom going in up there and a new bathroom too. We have a structural engineer looking at it all at the moment.

Anyone mentioned pinfest in August? That's in Daventry and a great weekend to discover all sort of games.
I'll look it up, thank you! Sounds like a good plan.

I'd check with Phil at PH before ordering if they can do 2 floors, it may not be covered by their usual free set up as it needs 2 people rather than the usual 1, so expect to possibly pay a little extra. Also think about what you'll do about getting it back down when you want to sell one!

Back
Top Bottom