What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to sell a car?

Slimetime

Registered
I'm considering selling my beloved Honda Civic Type R. We're a two car family and it rarely gets used these days, in fact, I've covered less the one thousand miles in the past twelve months. It has been years and years since I last sold a car and I wanted to hear from you where you feel is the best place to sell a car these day.

Thank you

I have used Pistonheads for a modified VW mkiv GTi two years ago as the performance audience is there. I only had time wasters from eBay so pulled it.

Reactions: DRD
I know 2 guys in the used car trade. Autotrader is the UK shop window for cars.

Last time I sold a car I paid one of them a flat fee. This meant a very low risk for the dealer BUT you have to trust them not to dump it at a really cheeeeep price.

You can establish a sensible price expectation by asking on the relevant Internet forum.

Autotrader has a price function built in that pops up automatically when you do a search. Dealers hate it as it informs punters what realistic prices should be - "good price", "great price" etc etc

GLWS

Last edited:
Currently looking for one for my sister, (unfortunately not a sporty one) autotrader appears to be the only one that you can filter out the cat s or worse from, gumtree, Shpock and eBay they all appear to be from part time dealers trying to turn a buck, not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just like swimming with the sharks, trying to find a genuine one is like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I suppose that’s half the fun.
I think Gumtree & Shpock were or still are free so why not advertise there? eBay was a flat fee approximately £15, and trader was about £45ish for a month? It’s been a year or two since I sold one? Trader will do you a free valuation although you might have to sign up, but with yours I’d imagine it’s a particular market so valuations may well differ?

I mostly end up doing my buying and selling on Facebook marketplace especially on private car groups / owners groups.

You're not the only one trying to sell a car I seem to have a problem I own 3 and the other two are projects over 25 years old 😬

I’m selling a hot hatch, no joy on eBay, pistonheads I’ve had trade offers a few grand under so I have just bunged it on Autotrader now on the £80 until sold feature. Not sure about a time limit but guess there must be one.
If it sells it sells, if not I will just carry on putting 100 miles a year or so on the clock☺️

If using Autotrader make sure you put strictly no Agencies.
I successfully punted two motorcycles on Gumtree recently for free, it attracts local buyers - don’t put your telephone number though due to scam artists.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom