What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does this wire go?!

bluejonny

Registered
Hi everyone

Just looking underneath my machine and I see that a brown wire has come off from somewhere. The manual refers to it as GI and see another brown wire is attached to a GI bulb holder.

However, I cannot work out for the life of me where this one was actually soldered!! Any clues would be appreciated!

Cheers

BJ

Attachments

• 20160521_125107.jpg
    20160521_125107.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 28
Hi,

One of the G.I. circuits uses Brown and White-brown, so the detached brown wires will have come from somewhere paired with the White-brown visible on that jet bumper light socket. You'll have a few lamps on that circuit not working; check which side of the wiring for them has the White-brown, and the break-off point will be on the other side of that group.

I can see a socket with one of the other circuits, Orange & White-orange, over to the mid right of the picture, with another section of Brown/White-brown immediately right of that, so I don't think it's going to be in that direction. Over to the left, the two lower* jet bumpers have their strips joined, and that point should be connected to Brown, with White-brown appearing again on the far side of the l/hand bumper.

* all directions relative to the picture

Looks like there's a white / brown pair of wires soldered to the flat metal track for the pop bumper bulb.....if so, has the brown wire pair come from the track on the other side of the bumper body?

Aha! You lot are so clever! It is The Getaway! The pop bumper lamps are out so assume it must go to the left of that pop bumper. I'll get some clearer pics/ My eyes are shot, and wifey keeps telling me to get some glasses, but I am currently in denial.

I might be wrong and I could have a look at my getaway later in the week but I think it might to the bit that disappears off above left of the white brown cable that it's tie wrapped to - the bit that is covered with a sheath / plastic tube (partly hidden by the coil). :hmm:

It connects to the pop bumpers on the flat metal plate linking them (that looks like an earthing strap).

Hi, Moonraker,

In your picture of a Getaway, I notice a situation that often occurs with jet bumpers; the washers used on the rods. People often put them on as shown, but the proper placement is above the metal linkage, directly in contact with the 'shoulder' of the threaded section of each rod. Apologies if the ones in the picture are additional ones.

In your picture of a Getaway, I notice a situation that often occurs with jet bumpers; the washers used on the rods. People often put them on as shown, but the proper placement is above the metal linkage, directly in contact with the 'shoulder' of the threaded section of each rod. Apologies if the ones in the picture are additional ones.

Good spot Jay. I've not had the pop bumpers apart on this machine, it's had enough other issues to be getting on with. I will have a look when I next get the chance. :thumbs:

I thought that may be the case. I've only recently thought about why the washers are there; I suppose it's to spread the load at the points where the rods meet the metal linkage. I dug out a previous-pattern Williams jet bumper bracket the other day - the metal link shows 'craters' where the rods have dug in.

Back
Top Bottom