What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do the project pins come from?

Sounduser

Registered
Just wondering where people have found project / shop log pins from?

And is it possible to get a mostly complete dmd game, thats only half f******. For you few hundred quid?

Cheers.

eBay got to be quick and offer cash.

This thread led me to have a look on ebay (which I never do) and there are some comedy pins up for sale.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-STERN-X-MEN-PINBALL-MACHINE-/253098749384

New X-Men??? Maybe?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FunHouse-...f-the-best-pinballs-of-all-time-/142481685337

Ranked one of the best pinballs of all time" - Really?

T3 - £5k??? Bonkers
The Whos Tommy - £6k? Wow

and my favorite is "Space Invaders" tanslite at only £300. Problem is shipping is £444!!! Where are they shipping to, the moon?

Better stick to here to try and grab a bargain................

Let everyone you come into contact with know you are into pinball. If you are lucky eventually someone will remember a friend of a friend who has one they dont want, or one forgotten in a garage , or uncle ernie just popped his clogs and has a few in his dining room etc

I just acquired a working game today , needs a bit of a tidy up but generally working, totally out of the blue - the guy remembered me from years ago... so it does happen :)

Ebay is almost pointless now. 10 years ago ...different story. Too many people looking, making offers these days .You need extreme luck to score a bargain. If people are putting it on ebay ....on the whole they know the prices stuff has been going for.

I recently chanced upon a TMNT for a friend, who wanted one. As a partially working project it cost £1,000 and with the work it needs (Led's, new plastics, new DMD, new sound card and bits and pieces) it will come to just under £2k, which I think is all it's worth in vgc. In hind sight, that TMNT was probably worth half the money I paid for it, but it was bought unseen - and its a bit rubbish, though my mate is happy enough.

Bargains do exist but you have to be very lucky, as others have said, people are clued up on values these days.

My own project was an older machine of mine with a beat up cab, I decided to completely overhaul it - new playfield, ramps, wires, components, cab. Might take me a while. Thats on a working Theatre of Magic I bought 4 years ago for £2k, which would be a bargain now. I ended up led'ing it, adding improvements throughout, colour dmd etc.

I recently chanced upon a TMNT for a friend, who wanted one. As a partially working project it cost £1,000 and with the work it needs (Led's, new plastics, new DMD, new sound card and bits and pieces) it will come to just under £2k, which I think is all it's worth in vgc. In hind sight, that TMNT was probably worth half the money I paid for it, but it was bought unseen - and its a bit rubbish, though my mate is happy enough.

Bargains do exist but you have to be very lucky, as others have said, people are clued up on values these days.

My own project was an older machine of mine with a beat up cab, I decided to completely overhaul it - new playfield, ramps, wires, components, cab. Might take me a while. Thats on a working Theatre of Magic I bought 4 years ago for £2k, which would be a bargain now. I ended up led'ing it, adding improvements throughout, colour dmd etc.

I just thought there would be plenty of machines around without anyone willing to repair them.
There seems to be plenty of broken machines in the field.

Wonder what happens after the operators are done with them.

The problem is with project pins is the seller wants full whack for the game and it needs a **** load of money spent on it. Done it a few times and lost money when I've sold them. You definitely have to be careful with it. I could do with a project pin right now. Need to keep my interest up.

Guess it depends why you are doing it. If it's for the money then (apart from there being far easier ways to make money) yes you have to be very careful and factor in all the associated costs. If it's for the love of pinball, tinkering or you what a 'minty' machine in your collection, the price you pay matters less.

Reading the shop logs, totally got me interested. Guess it's just a supply and demand issue.

Guess it depends why you are doing it. If it's for the money then (apart from there being far easier ways to make money) yes you have to be very careful and factor in all the associated costs. If it's for the love of pinball, tinkering or you what a 'minty' machine in your collection, the price you pay matters less.

I like tinkering. And pinball is a pretty expensive hobby. Buy something for 500 quid and spending time on it is much more likely to get Mrs approval. That spending a big chunk of change on a game for the shed.

There are also in my mind 2 types of projects.

Type 1 - basically non worker or needs a lot of parts sourcing/replacing, board repair work etc to get running

Type 2 - basically working but needs some tlc but without spending a lot of money. New rubbers, bulbs, good clean.

Type 2 are very sought after as many people enjoy the cleaning up of a game without all the grief of board repairs, major trouble shooting. Good for new owners too as not too daunting.

Unfortunately I don't have the cash flow or the space to keep lots of machines and I do like to have a shuffle around quite often. It's definitely not to make a profit. I only break even by siting a game to be fair.
Unfortunately any of the games that I'd love to fix up and keep command top top prices even in a shed of a condition

I quite fancy a bit of board repair. Something through hole. I sometimes watch that Louis guy on YouTube fixing I phones. It's kinda like watching a lava lamp.

Back
Top Bottom