What's new

Whatcha gonna do when Gaz Shiells WWFRR comes crashing down on you!!!!!!

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Ok gang, at the request of Cooldan, here's a little write up and pic gallery of WWFRR which I picked up from Dan at the slam.
Sorry for the orientation of some of the pics, not sure why they've come out like that.

So I was a HUGE wrestle fan back in the 90's. Being born in 1980 I was at the prime age in the early 90's to be well into WWF. There's nothing I liked better of an evening than to torment my little bro by making him endure figure 4 leg locks and Boston crabs until he either submitted or something cracked !! (Then he'd tell mum and I'd be chased round the house by my mum wielding a slipper for half an hour!!)
Anyway I digress. So it only seemed fitting that when the opportunity arose to buy Dans royal rumble I should take the nostalgia trip and go for it.

I believe that this machine was the last that data East produced as the DMD advertising slogan for the next game says death ball 2000 coming soon which as far as I'm aware was never produced.
image.jpg

Theres heaps to do on this machine with a wide playfield with plenty of shots and lots to shoot for
Fun modes and great callouts and a challenging Wizard mode which I have yet to reach in the 10 days of ownership

In essence the object of the game is to light all nine modes to culminate in a six ball royal rumble multiball.
Modes are started by shooting the ball into one of the two start mode scoops

image.jpgMy favourite of which is the undertaker mode where you have to shoot the left drop targets which immediately reset with every hit. The music on this mode is awesome and even with the standard speakers in the data east machine it's very bassy and sounds excellent.

image.jpg
There are no ball locks on this game, to start multiball on this machine you must shoot the left ramp, centre ramp and right orbit three times each to collect all nine wrestlers which will then light multiball on the upper playfield. Once on the upper playfield you must shoot the right orbit or the left scoop, this starts a three ball multiple during which the object is to shoot the left ramp, centre ramp or right orbit it to collect jackpots.
from memory I believe the jackpot starts at 15 million however if prior to starting multiball, you shoot five orbits on the mini playfield it increases the jackpot by 5 million.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgAside from the nine modes and the multiball, there are lots of other fun features with this game including the tag targets on the right hand side which when complete gives you a mini video mode where you have to tap the tag button three times for a bonus. Then shoot the captive ball to claim a random bonus and reset the targets.

There's a tricky shot on the left lane behind the undertaker targets, depending which way the ball travels through that lane you either have to shoot it for a cumulative jackpot which carries over from game to game until collected or a mini video mode where you have to beat your opponent with a chair by tapping the tag button. These video modes are incorporated wilst the ball is still in play which adds a fun aspect to the game. I can understand why the button housing is always mashed on this game as you end up whacking it to hell whilst you concentrate on the game.
The game also incorporates a powerful shaker motor which I have turned off due to it being too powerful it only comes on during multiball.

Since picking the game up at the slam, I've run a cloth over it quickly, given it a quick treasure Cove Buff, changed a few rubbers from black to white, added a few colour cliffy post sleeves but other than that it's a very clean tidy machine

Someone at some time had spent a fair amount of money changing the insert and GI illumination to LED including LED flash lamps which this game has a lots of!!! given that they are about 3 pounds each I imagine there's quite a few pounds worth of LED flashers in it.

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Gotta love Mr Fugi and Palbearer!

image.jpg
And my favourite pic. Because it looks like it says "smoking c@nts"
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
So, is it a keeper?...... No, I give it about 6 months and I'll be ready to move it on I reckon.

Last edited:
wicked awesome writeup Gaz, good job. just needs video (phone>youtube>done) - go on, you kow you want to!

a few notes:
*in about 6 months owning this beast, i never once managed to win the video mode where you have to mash the flipper buttons in a frenzy. musta played that mode over a hundred times and not one victory. let me know if you manage it.
*glad to see you replaced the snapped off undertaker drop target, i never got round to it.
*sad to hear you turned off the shaker motor though. WTF dude? the more shakin' the better, surely? unless you have Parkinsons, obv.
*where is the red bumper cap of the right bumper, was there not one there?
*this game has one of the hardest EB shots i can think of. that left scoop is hard to hit when you need it.
*look out for the bit holding the backbox hinge on, on the left hand side, inside the cab at the back left. @replicas helped me tighten it up at the Slam, i never knew it was a problem before, but i can see it's come loose again from your pics, especially the one focused on the left ramp. it may catch when you lower the backbox.
*did you ever look under the upper playfield to see if there are supposed to be lamps in there? no, me neither, but i wondered.

nice one dude, glad she's getting some new love. oh yeah, oh yeah, oh YEEEAAAHHHH!

:rofl:
Ok in order!!
I beat the video mode once but I reckon it's because I picked the video mode from the skill shot which halves the amount of hits needed to win. I can't see how I'd have done it any other way, it frickin impossible.

The drop target was all good, just peeled the sticker off the snapped one in the coin box and stuck it on! Nice;)

The shaker Motor was already off (it still activates during multiball) I tried turning it on but then goes nuts with every coil fire, so when you flip, hit the pops, slingshots and scoops. And trust me, I like a shaker motor the same as the next guy but it drives you nuts after a while. That and by ball 3 you're walking down the street behind it trying to keep up with it:eek:

No bumper cap, I think Its supposed to be missing, kinda like the STTNG one under the ramp.

That left scoop, is fookin tight as is the other one. With my flipper skills I aim for the left lane and it normally goes in there by accident.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up on the back box screw, I'll tighten it up Next time the glass comes off.

And yeah, I tried to change the dud bulbs under the mini pf but the whole drop target assembly needs to come out (nice engineering guys!!) which I didn't have a long enough nut driver or screw driver for. So they can stay out for now:tut:.

But it's damn good fun. Plenty of life left in it yet.

Oooooooooooooh yeeeah

Great write up, I never got to play this at the Slam as I was far too busy to queue. Looks like a good fun machine so I will need to make that visit over to yours. :)

Anyone posting on this thread must sign off with
Oooooooooooh Yeeah

And your always welcome here Geoff. My bike should be fixed this week too:)
Sticker. Decal. Who gives a **** :p

Gaz I hope you wernt one of them irritating kids at a school obsessed with wwf trying to get people in head locks ect

Ooooooooh yeaaaaah!

I had one of these last year - great machine, really enjoyed it! Probably the best integration of a shaker motor out of any game I played, it really suited it well!

"GET BACK IN THE RING - OH YEAH!

Fun game and plenty of bang for your buck.
Now all you little Hulkamaniacs go out there and play some games on it , yeahhhhh.

wicked awesome writeup Gaz, good job. just needs video (phone>youtube>done) - go on, you kow you want to!

a few notes:
*in about 6 months owning this beast, i never once managed to win the video mode where you have to mash the flipper buttons in a frenzy. musta played that mode over a hundred times and not one victory. let me know if you manage it.
*glad to see you replaced the snapped off undertaker drop target, i never got round to it.
*sad to hear you turned off the shaker motor though. WTF dude? the more shakin' the better, surely? unless you have Parkinsons, obv.
*where is the red bumper cap of the right bumper, was there not one there?
*this game has one of the hardest EB shots i can think of. that left scoop is hard to hit when you need it.
*look out for the bit holding the backbox hinge on, on the left hand side, inside the cab at the back left. @replicas helped me tighten it up at the Slam, i never knew it was a problem before, but i can see it's come loose again from your pics, especially the one focused on the left ramp. it may catch when you lower the backbox.
*did you ever look under the upper playfield to see if there are supposed to be lamps in there? no, me neither, but i wondered.

nice one dude, glad she's getting some new love. oh yeah, oh yeah, oh YEEEAAAHHHH!

Well I finally replaced those bulbs under the mini pf.
What an absolute ****ing nightmare :eek: I had to remove the drop target assembly, however thanks to some tight wires cable tied to the loom, the assembly wouldn't move far enough out of the way, so I had to get my Jeremy Beadle hands on to get some scissors in the gap to cut the cable ties off to allow the drop targets to come away. Then I had to train my wife on how to remove the bulb holders so she could get her tiny hands in the gap under the mini pf to get the bulbs in and out. Then do it all again in reverse. And putting the drop target assembly back using a flat head screwdriver on those screws was almost impossible. My af nut driver wasn't long enough!:mad:
Suffice to say I replaced the bulbs with LEDs. If I never have to do that job again it'll be too soon. Took me all frickin night.

I'd like to meet the designer who thought that was a good idea and punch him in the face:thumbs:

I also put a strip of Mylar on the pf where the start mode kicks out, it was just starting to wear.

Just waiting for my new button housing to arrive and it'll be bang tidy:clap:.

Oooooooooooooh yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh

Yeah, I haven't slept properly since I got it, knowing they were out!!! Can't have dead bulbs in my games. Bugs the **** outta me.

Back
Top Bottom