What's new

What to clean the playfield with???

geardownthreegreens

Registered
I've stripped my Judge Dredd playfield completely as it was filthy.

Now I've already gone over it with a mix of novus 2 and 3 but still feels a little dull. Not sure if waxing with bring the colour back out.
Where there has been a post etc, the black of the playfield is strong, but all around just seems dull to me.

Also, I removed the mylar from around the tower as looked aweful, but left with a sticky mess. Any thoughts on the removal of the glue?? petrol soaked cloth(I don't smoke)

Si

evostick glue remover, get it from under the counter at B&Q

Apparently all the glue heads open it and sniff it so they moved it off the shelves

Really good stuff but use it in a well ventilated area as it is serious stuff (get a sore head in minutes)

Goo gone? I wouldn't let that stuff anywhere near a playfield, it'll eat the paint right off it. You want a citrus based goo remover, orange power or similar

My 3 step cleaning

1. Baby wipes + Glass cleaner to get the grime off
2. Novus 2 + Magic Eraser for stubborn marks (No need for Novus 1 or 3)
3. Wax with carnuba wax and a microfibre cloth:

For wax, I can recommend this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Trewax-Paste-Wax-Clear-12-35-Ounce/dp/B005SRV1PI

Ok, thank you all for your thoughts and inputs.

Funny how we all have differing ideas :)

1st job is to lose the glue. I had no choice to lift the mylar. It was bubbling and dull as dish water.

Ive used goo gone loads of times and its done no damage at all.
Gerlitz wax as recomended by
@jww is just amazing. My gorgar dirty turd is now gleaming

I think there must be two different products using the same/similar name, the Goof Off/Gone I've used is for getting chewing gum off and is definitely not recommended for playfields. I'm guessing Goo Gone smells slightly of oranges?

Goo Gone is citrus and is highly recommended by the top guys in the States.
It's great for the job among others.

I think there must be two different products using the same/similar name, the Goof Off/Gone

Yes I think your right. Goo Gone is a citrus based product and is perfect for removing the glue left behind by mylar. Goof Off is some seriously harsh thing that will take paint off from what I understand.

T-cut :eek:

I guess i can understand why, however isnt it petroleum based and rather coarse???

Thinking about it, Ian Holloway from Blackpool who used to restore these machines for pleasure once told me and I've only just remembered, that he used to use Novus 2 or 3 cant remember and t- cut mix and his playfields were mint. Gonna give that a go after I've watched Carl's video :D

Goo gone is on its way from Amazon. Cheers for that guys.:thumbs:

Thinking about it, Ian Holloway from Blackpool who used to restore these machines for pleasure once told me and I've only just remembered, that he used to use Novus 2 or 3 cant remember and t- cut mix and his playfields were mint. Gonna give that a go after I've watched Carl's video :D

Goo gone is on its way from Amazon. Cheers for that guys.:thumbs:

I remember Ian, his machines were lovely.

His "signature" thing was that he would make his own cliffy style protectors to cover kickout hole wear, but he would route them into the playfield so that they were completely flat and smooth and didnt catch the ball

This is very true Luke, which at the time I thought that was how it was done :rolleyes: :D so never bothered to buy a cliffy cuz I thought there was no way I could route that.

He was absolutely top notch. Would strip everything down so his machines came up looking like new.

I must have bought 7 or 8 from him over about 4 years. Even used to send xmas cards !! :)

Shame because he stopped doing it, think it got too much for him. Lovely guy none the less

Back
Top Bottom