What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What got you into Pinball?

darren_ross

Registered
What was it that got you into pinball? What first give you the idea to type 'pinball machine' into eBay?
When did pinball become more than just a game, but an obsession?
Wether one just popped up on the tv last year or you played them years ago down the local pub, i want to know. Lets hear the story behind it.

For me i remember my dad taking me down the seafront arcades to play them. I was probably only about 8 years old. Could just about see into the glass. I remember my dad really slamming the buttons in, like it was going to make the bats hit the balls harder. Many years later i start wondering if theres still pinball machines in there. Unfortunately not. I do abit of research and stumble across this fantastic site. End of story.

In my yoof, used to play in 10 pin bowling leagues 2-3 times a week also play nationally for Lancashire juniors, bowling alleys were often a haven for pinball machines in the early to mid 90s, my local one had a TAF, TZ and CFTBL. My student union also had a couple of machines rotated in and out.

More recently it was rediscovering it (because where the heck else can you play them in public) after shows like NLP and Revival and talking to owners and realising you could actually buy these things and put them in your house. Seemed like a neat thing to try out. Discovering Pinball Arcade has also helped at the same sort of time.

On holiday in Florida as a kid. The hotel games room had a gottlieb Monte Carlo!!! That got me hooked

First played one on a school trip to Wales when I was 9. I remember stopping at a service station and saw one standing there. Stuck a coin in it a then remember getting really paranoid that the coach would leave before my game finished. Maybe my average ball time was longer when I was a kid. Absolutely no idea what the game would have been

Was lucky enough to be going to pubs when DMD games first came out and have lots of memories of playing TAF/T2/JP in our local.

Didn't really play from the mid 90s onward as no pub I went to had a machine. I remember typing "Pinball" into ebay and being shocked about how people could pay 3-500 for a machine.

Still had a hankering to play again and in 2006 moved into a bigger place and struck a deal with my wife that I could buy ONE machine if I sold my record label. No idea what I was doing and turned to the dreaded ebay. Eventually bought a Hook based mainly on the fact that they offered delivery.

Hook turned up late Oct and by Christmas was joined by a TAF (really scared that I just spent £1020 on a game......)

Stayed at 2 for a year and then jumped to 4 on the understanding that there was absolutely no way that I would ever buy and more and that I would pay for the bathroom to be redesigned. Since then 4 has become....more.. and it's cost me a bathroom, kitchen, new roof, garden makeover and loads of jewellery

My dad used to own a second hand tool shop when I was about 12, We went to visit a seller one night to buy some second hand stuff. When we got there he had a couple of arcade games, a tank game and a Gottlieb Flying Carpet pinball. We ended up buying the pinball and it was out in my bedroom. We opened a small arcade at a caravan holiday park a few year later and the rest is history.

Moved to Aberdeen and we sold all the arcade games we had, wish we kept them now based on the prices you can now get.

Took about 7 years after moving to Aberdeen to start buying pinball again, started with a Goldeneye and now got 20 pins and you always fond a way to squeeze in another

In my yoof, used to play in 10 pin bowling leagues 2-3 times a week also play nationally for Lancashire juniors, bowling alleys were often a haven for pinball machines in the early to mid 90s, my local one had a TAF, TZ and CFTBL. .

:eek: it was similar for me - Ten pin bowling (league) every week and a TAF on site which most of my cash went in!

The Pinball Arcade game without a doubt for me. Had zero interest in pinball before this. Now I have a real table it has made Pinball Arcade unplayable. The physics felt fine before but now it feels like you are playing pinball with syrup on the play field.

Pinball arcade for me too. As Marvello said above pinball didn't exist for me until TPA was released on the ipad. It makes me sad to think I used to walk past them during their peak in the 90's, didn't give them a second glance and completely missed out.

I also blame TPA for my downfall into this hobby. I have my first table now always looking for another to join the first (cash being the only problem), joined the local league. Sounds like it's all downhill from now on! But it's great fun!!!

I still like to play TPA as it's a good way to play lots of tables.

I was into arcade machines and about 11 years ago a friend bought me swords of fury,
After lion man ringing in my ears who could resist ?

First played one on a school trip to Wales when I was 9. I remember stopping at a service station and saw one standing there. Stuck a coin in it a then remember getting really paranoid that the coach would leave before my game finished. Maybe my average ball time was longer when I was a kid. Absolutely no idea what the game would have been

Was lucky enough to be going to pubs when DMD games first came out and have lots of memories of playing TAF/T2/JP in our local.

Didn't really play from the mid 90s onward as no pub I went to had a machine. I remember typing "Pinball" into ebay and being shocked about how people could pay 3-500 for a machine.

Still had a hankering to play again and in 2006 moved into a bigger place and struck a deal with my wife that I could buy ONE machine if I sold my record label. No idea what I was doing and turned to the dreaded ebay. Eventually bought a Hook based mainly on the fact that they offered delivery.

Hook turned up late Oct and by Christmas was joined by a TAF (really scared that I just spent £1020 on a game......)

Stayed at 2 for a year and then jumped to 4 on the understanding that there was absolutely no way that I would ever buy and more and that I would pay for the bathroom to be redesigned. Since then 4 has become....more.. and it's cost me a bathroom, kitchen, new roof, garden makeover and loads of jewellery

Which label ?
As well as pinball machines I also collect vinyl.

Pubs when I was a stchoodent in the late 80s and early 90s were often pinball havens and I started choosing the pub based on the pins. The one I fell in love with first was STTNG. Then out in Australia in the mid 90s I discovered AFM and TZ and there was no going back.

Ever since then I've always sought them out but it got rarer and rarer so I always hankered after owning my own one day. Then when we moved into our terraced house ten years ago I started thinking about it seriously as a 'bucket list' idea, and finally bit the bullet in 2009 or 2010 I think, paying way over the odds but being as happy as a clam with my own pinball machine in the house. I didn't know anyone else back then who had one, thought I was unusual for having one .... then a lucky find on the web brought me to my first league meet at Dawn's in 2010, and I realised there was a whole scene .......

Interesting to see so many introduced into the hobby due to Pinball Arcade.

My pinball journey is really down to one person. Eddie Lehan. When I do something I like to do it to the best of my abilities. There were a lot of pinball machines in pubs in Leeds in the late 80's but on the rare occasion I tried them I was rubbish. That changed one afternoon when I went into the Hyde Park pub with Eddie and they had a Banzai Run.
Eddie essentially showed me how to play in that one afternoon. Trapping balls, post transfers, learning the rules. A few credits later I was hooked.
I was also lucky to live in a city with a lot of pubs, most of which had a pinball in those days. It was a golden era of machines from late System 11 to DMD and I got to play them all, brand new, on location. We used to travel around when we got wind of a new machine being installed (we even travelled across Leeds to play Gilligan's Island).

Fast forward to 1997 and I bought my first house. While flicking through a copy of Exchange and Mart I saw an advert for a Williams Jokerz for £130. Went to look at it, a lot of bulbs weren't working so haggled him down to £120. Somehow got it home in my wife's old Peugeot and fixed the bulbs and incorrectly wired flashers straight away. The fixing bug was implanted.

Never been without a pin since.

Hooked as a 9 year old as grandparents lived at Burnham on Sea and spent most school holidays there. I got a pound to spend on the front so had to master games to make them last. Was playing flash when pavilion arcade brought in a new box and set up a black knight. As a cheeky 13 year old I ask for a test game and guys obliged so was first to play a NIB at a young age. Used to love the fruities and dad let me have a few in the shed from 14 but they were £20 and everywhere . went to uni and met a guy called warren playing high speed who happened to just mention he had 6 pinballs at home. Introduced me to the pinball owners association. We set up a university pinball club and the union let us set up 2 machines in the union building but hidden away from the commercial machines in the bars and halls. By then I'd moved to private digs from hall so only a matter of time until the first machines started to arrive. The operator wasnt too happy about us having machines in the union especially when we brought in magic castle which at 1984 was newer than some of their machines! The nice union gave us a room in a building opposite where we set up 8 games for members only and even swang free use of the union building for the POA 1988 show. It may have helped that I was deputy ents secretary! Some anecdotes about suing the proclaimers , entertaining bad news aka the young ones and telling Gary glitter he was too expensive and we were going for Iggy pop for our xmas ball could be inserted here. Anyway havent been without a pin since though was down to 3 in storage a low point in 1994

Student bars, student halls, and pubs in London 1990 to 1993

My college bar had one game at a time - earthshaker, then rollergames, then whirlwind, then addams family, then robocop

My hall had a swords of fury. A nearby one had a transporter

The central university of london bar always had 2 games. Lw3, simpsons, bad cats, checkpoint, phantom of the opera, hurricane ...

Local bars had all manner of games, bride of pinbot, twilight zone ...

Within a mile if where I lived, there were literally dozens of games and they absorbed plenty of my money

Arcades usually had pinballs in the early 1980's which helped prompt me to get my first home pin in 1987, and Weston-super-Mare arcades in particular had loads of them, and between Olympia and Mad Harry's they seemed to have most of the good games released from the late 80's into the early 90's to cement my love for the game.

At college there were around 10 or so games, I could sometimes play for an hour on The Getaway for a quid!

:)

Living in Skegness (a.k.a. SkegVegas) in the 80's and 90's, you can't move for arcades. The 80's was all about playing videogames where a quid would literally last for hours.

Then the early 90's was a mixture of videogames with a few quid on the fruit machines (back when you could learn the games and win serious cash (for a teenager) each day from the tourist money flowing through). Also had the odd 20p in TAF, Pinbot, Funhouse, Creature or whatever. Remember my baptism of fire on TZ - on my first ever game the Power ball popped out on the trough. Needless to say i wasn't that great at following the game, let alone with that thing flying about. I logged it at the back of my mind as a game i needed to come back to in the near future...

Mid-late 90's was almost entirely fruit machines, including owning a few Project's and JPMs.... Then 2000's and i started building MAME cabs with massive CRTs & owning a few more own fruitmachies. Had my eye on Pinball from a distance, but had no room until we bought our first house in 2010 after living in a Motorhome all over Europe for about a year. At which time i got a couple of classic Impact JPMs - which got boring quite quickly, plus friends didn't really get it, so I pulled the trigger on TZ.

So in my case the Pinball Arcade is responsible for reminding me to go and finish that 1st game on TZ, albeit 20yrs later! Now i'm hooked - if i had unlimited funds and space then i would have every Stern LE going, plus collect as many Pins as i could. Still want a nice 4player MAME cab again too and i might rescue my 1995 JPM Big Bucks from the shed one day too - also a classic of it's own kind.

For me it was playing in arcades and pubs in France in the 90's on family holidays. We used to go on camping and caravanning holidays and the sites used to have decent arcades with one or two pins in.

I can vividly remember one tiny arcade/games room that had Fish Tales, Whitewater and Creature all lined up. Don't see that any more! Also there was a bar that we went to every year that had machines on rotation, Champion Pub had just came out and I was amazed by the Character in the middle.

Eventually my dad @newdos took the plunge and our first machine was a TOM for about £600 I think? We had that for a few years and things went stale on the pin front then he shopped it and from then on the bug was back really.

For me it was playing in arcades and pubs in France in the 90's on family holidays. We used to go on camping and caravanning holidays and the sites used to have decent arcades with one or two pins in.

I can vividly remember one tiny arcade/games room that had Fish Tales, Whitewater and Creature all lined up. Don't see that any more! Also there was a bar that we went to every year that had machines on rotation, Champion Pub had just came out and I was amazed by the Character in the middle.

Eventually my dad @newdos took the plunge and our first machine was a TOM for about £600 I think? We had that for a few years and things went stale on the pin front then he shopped it and from then on the bug was back really.
Spot on matey!!!!

Shamelessly copying from pinside cos I can't be ****d to type it all again :D

As a young man in his early 20's, many people have commented on my fascination with Pinball as a hobby. "Why?" seems to be the question that pops up the most, and it is probably the most difficult to answer as well. Most people of my generation and all my friends are more into video games, we were the generation that grew up with the very first playstation and the N64. Home gaming has always been the hobby of choice, oddly it is what lead me to Pinball in the first place.

It was late 2011, my father, a man of many professions had just retired. His previous job required that he move out of his house so he settled on the coast with his partner. A typical retirement town, 'White sticks and wheelchairs' is a favorite phrase my nan often uses to mock towns where people decide to retire to. I was just entering my 20's at the time, I had started my second job and finally had a bit of disposable income. I went down to visit him and decided to have a look around the town not knowing what was there. I found a comic shop which was great, a load of chippies (typical for a seaside town) and a few other places, not much of interest so I decided to walk down to the seafront. Recently I had started playing the old Space Cadet pinball game that came packaged with every Windows XP computer and wanted to find out if there was any real Pinballs to try, according to a website that archives Pinball locations, there was. 2 at the seafront where he lives, so I went looking for the arcade.

The seafront is pretty dilapidated, but there was 1 building open in a small block which had the word "AMUSEMENTS" glowing in neon in the window. I nearly walked right by, it looked pretty depressing, a boring white building with not much to entice anyone in. But then I remembered this was about the right spot for the arcade that the website had said I would find some real Pinballs in, so I went in.

In I walked, there was maybe 5 or 6 other patrons inside to the right, mostly playing the coin-pushers and one armed bandits. Boring. I went to look over the arcade games to the left of the entrance. There was a big Daytona USA cabinet, I remembered that game fondly from playing it years ago but had a look what else there was. A few more cabs with fighting games, the odd light gun games, pretty standard really. The UK doesn't have a huge amount of arcades anymore, let alone decent arcade games to play. And then I saw them, sitting in the corner. Turns out the location website was right, in front of me was a Terminator 2 and Theatre of Magic.

It was hard to decide which one to play first and what to do. I decided to opt for Terminator 2, I loved the film and this game seemed in pretty good shape. I remember putting that coin in and hitting the start button. That was it, this was going to be my hobby. I played both games until I had no more coins and I ran out of cash, I never even hit a highscore but I didn't care. I had played real Pinball and it was glorious. Sadly a few months later the machines were switched off, they still sit there to this day but they are now walled in behind a huge number of other dead arcade games. The operator won't let go, "We never sell anything here" were his words when I asked if he would be interested in selling me the two games. No idea why, but rumors talk of the arcade being a money laundering scheme which is why such a desolate arcade is always open, but for who? Nobody seemed to know.

And so it began, an hobby which has slowly turned almost into an obsession. I am still relatively new to this hobby but I am trying to learn all I can and am now 8 machines in and likely this will continue. I still love it. When I am asked "Why?" I try to explain it like this. "Video games are programmed, for the majority of them you might try to do something different but generally the outcome is the same, levels and games end in a set way. Pinball is always different, no 2 games are the same, sure the playfield never changes and neither do the rules but you could have 100 million games on a pinball machine and no 2 games will ever be alike. It's a total thrill and I love it."

Sometimes I wish I had seen the golden age(s) of Pinball, granted it isn't as big here in the UK as in the US but it still has a large following of avid fans and supporters. But things are looking up for the hobby, I am in it right at a point where new games seem to be being made and a huge explosion of interest has taken place, both from younger people like myself and older people who fondly remember the games they used to play in cafes and arcades many years ago. Perhaps we are looking at a new golden age of the hobby where it is making a comeback, and I'm so glad I'm here for it. Hopefully into the next golden age of pinball.

For me, it started way back when I could hardly see the playfield, on family holidays in France - Gorgar, Flash Gordon were the stand out memories.
Then a bit later was the Arcade on Lowestoft pier - always remember Vector.
Move forward to Early 90's and drinking in Pubs and the St Albans one's all seemed to have them then - Addams Family, TZ, Star trek, Indy, White Water, Demolition Man, Creature, etc.
Got my Strange Science around that time but it ended up in Storage for 10 years, before I got it back out and plugged in (around the time TPA came out).
Now looking to expand the number from 1 to 2, then...

I didn't give pins a second look when I was younger, it wall all about arcade games then when I was about 18/19 my best mates old man went through a divorce. During the midlife crisis which followed he bought a DESW a WCS and a jukebox. He managed to keep the house and turned the dining room into a games room with a bar. Me and my mates pretty much used to live there which is when the pinball love affair started.
Luckily it didn't take me a divorce and a midlife crisis to get my first pin! :D

Cant remember ever not being into Pinball. Always loved arcades. Played my fair share of vids over the years also.

My first home pin I bought about 30 years ago at an auction I went to with my dad in Portglenone over here in Northern Ireland. It was a Pinball Pool, had a broken drop target and a few rubbers mising but i bodged a few rubber bands from a vacuum cleaner and stuck a lollypop stick in as part of the drop target ( we had no Pinball heaven or Mania back then)

Ive bought a load of pins since, just need to work on the selling bit. Ive also bought a fair few arcade games in the duration..

I've always been attracted to arcades and video games since as long as I can remember. Spent lots of happy holidays in the 80's and 90's with parents at various holiday destinations. Great Yarmouth, Weymouth, Newquay etc. We'd go to a caravan site, pitch up and I'd race to see if they had an arcade I could spend my bag of 10p's in. Back then the arcades were well stocked with the latest games, Afterburner, Outrun and the like. All very cool indeed for a spotty 16 year old to get lost in the neon and glow of the arcade cabs.
But it wasn't until 1990 on holiday in Newquay that a particular pin caught my eye. It was Phantom of the Opera. Yes I know some of you guys hate it, but I fell in love with it straight away. The artwork, the music, even the basic gameplay was great I just had to have one. So I was lucky enough to get one, which I have had for 26 years now. After that I got the pinball bug and it has only really materialized in recent years - I moved away from vid cabs and into pins. Maybe it's an age thing, who knows but I just prefer pins these days. They all play differently, they all look and sound completely different to each other, but the silver ball seems to have something for everyone.

I played EM's when I was young but don't remember any of the names ( that hacks me off now!) , I remember the solid states coming in and playing Paragon. The next major memory was playing Bally Harley Davidson which had a shaker motor which was cool. Then it was all DM games. Bought a house , sold my stockcar and an aussie mate asked me to look at a Sing Along. He didn't buy it but I did and that was it- the hunt was on - luckily in the late 90's old games were still around and I absorbed as many as I could find although I couldn't afford the new DM games like TZ and IJ. I did alright though and then I started importing them to get titles that never made it to NZ ( Which was many , many titles!) the great thing besides the games is the other pin people you meet.

Computer game pinball, and I'm talking way before Pinball Arcade - specifically Epic Pinball on PC and Pinball Fantasies on Amiga! That got me interested, so I started playing more real pins when I saw them in pubs.

I think what pushed me over into buying one is wanting to get better (plus I fancied a more challenging restoration project than furniture!). When I started out I was fascinated by how people could play for hours without the ball draining - now I know about (but still suck at!) nudging and various flipper tricks. I've got a long way do go but it's a hobby with so much depth and awesome history!

Back
Top Bottom