What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does this bit of wood do?

Durzel

Registered
Quick one hopefully.. fitting a Mod Power Board to my TZ, but this bit of wood is in the way of where I want to run the wires. I don't have it on my TAF..

9386D300-17B7-4A9E-9CE6-DEE68B736BEC.jpeg

Can I remove it? Anyone know how it is normally attached? Glued on? I couldn't see any screws under the backbox.

There's another one on the left too.

Thanks.

Last edited:
My initial thought is 'nothing'.

Do both of the blocks offer some kind of stability to the speaker board when all closed up?

I'd just pry the damned things off!

My initial thought is 'nothing'.

Do both of the blocks offer some kind of stability to the speaker board when all closed up?

I'd just pry the damned things off!
Possibly, but my TAF has the same speakers (Flipper Fidelity) and has no issues.

Will try and pry it off I guess.

Interesting my TAF does not have them or any signs of anything being there !!

As for getting it off then it's a hammer and chisel job , it will most likely be glued and stapled . Have fun !!

It was nailed in. Bloody nightmare to get off. Had to sand and paint it afterwards, which has put my plans back :(

My TAF doesn't have them either, just the TZ (both sides)

It was nailed in. Bloody nightmare to get off. Had to sand and paint it afterwards, which has put my plans back :(

My TAF doesn't have them either, just the TZ (both sides)
Now they're off, is there any more hint as to the purpose they served or were they perhaps a construction leftover?

I've never seen them before and am at a loss as to their purpose except for someone's hack fix for a rattling, large speaker on the panel... or something.

They're certainly not structural in any single way.

No idea really. I don't know if other TZs had them or whether this was something added by the previous owner.

Certainly not structural, since the channel is held in by 4 screws anyway and doesn't move. My TAF doesn't have them.

I've only removed one for the moment, the other one isn't in my way.

I still think it was placed there to line up the u shaped strip. Nothing else.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to serve any other purpose. Bit strange that it was nailed in though, and presumably painted as well. I can't see why it would necessarily be needed either - you could just use some sacrificial double sided tape to test fit the U shaped bit then screw in once you're happy with it.

Made a right mess removing it :(

Bit of rigidity where the backbox front edge rests on the Cabinet edge? I expect the weight of the backbox isn’t evenly distributed until it’s locked down with the wing nut and latch.

I’m making this up. Trying to make this boring train to Liverpool more interesting...

Bit of rigidity where the backbox front edge rests on the Cabinet edge? I expect the weight of the backbox isn’t evenly distributed until it’s locked down with the wing nut and latch.

I’m making this up. Trying to make this boring train to Liverpool more interesting...

Fart in the carriage. Look innocent.

Back
Top Bottom