What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wh20 weird reset issues

newdos

Site Supporter
10 Years
Alias
Newdos
Just fitted a different display to my wh20 as the old one was starting to gas out(bought it from replicas on here and is perfect) and since then I am getting resets even in attract mode, but when it comes back on it say factory settings restored - anyone any ideas??? new batteries installed fyi and it is retaining high scores ok

Cheers Kev

It's the 5v but there can be a multitude of causes. You're just going to have to work through it. Replacing C5, BR2 and the LM317K will probably fix it but as PinWiki repair guide eloquently explains that may only be because in doing so you inadvertently fixed something much more simple. I had resets on my FT and in my case C5 was at fault and was leaking.

from the legend....

"reseat just the one connector below the short grey ribbon cable on the largest circuit board"

Only temporary, however might do the job for the meantime - Xenon325i is correct...

ahh yes sorry.. Still might be worth it tho, since i believe the cable mentioned above carries pwr to the CPU board... which is the board causing the issues.....

I read it as two problems: 1) the resets and 2) when it comes back on after the reset, the settings are restored. Even if you take the batteries out altogether you won't see Factory Settings Restored unless you reset or turn it off or unless the machine erroneously resets itself.

So what is the cause of the factory settings restored issue then - is this something different to the std 5v supply issues which I am aware of anyway?

Yes if the machines resets or powers off and the battery supply is unable to keep any customised settings in RAM then when the machine powers up it will inform you that the Factory Settings are Restored.

Edit - crossed post with GrizZ

Press home the square ASIC chip too.

Br2 and capacitor replacement is NOT normally necessary.

I fully agree - on my FT it was just C5 but I was referring to the old mantra which as you say is unlikely to be necessary.

but I get if the batteries are not there you get this message but a they are there and b it keeps all the settings and the high scores so battery must be connected ok - correct ?

Since then I have also re-seated the infamous grey ribbon cable and so far it hasn't reset - typical!!! Just curious how it coming up with the factory message but not losing any settings ??????

If they always worked without problems, we would all have nothing to do - we might even have to make do with playing them instead of fixing them :)
Cheers, Mark

I once put new batteries in a game,and it still said factory setting,bought good quality Duracells - problem solved.

I had done thorough checks for corrosion on the battery temiinals,so you need to do that

poi

Just to rule out a weird thing I had once where the dmd was causing the reset,try that in another game,or try another dmd in yours,improbable but easy to try

Weirdly Poi since I re-seated the grey ribbon cable it has never done it !!! I will get my af spray on the cables and give them all a good blast

Cheers Kev

My theory. The batteries supply both the RAM and the ASIC. The RAM stores user settings and data. The ASIC hosts the real time clock. If the batteries fail, then both the data and clock settings are lost. If the ASIC has poor connectivity in its socket then it can cause resets. If the connectivity is poor to the battery backup, then the real time clock is reset, so the CPU reports factory settings restored. However the batteries are good to the RAM so the high scores and user settings are maintained.

Sounds like a good theory to me. It's certainly worth pulling the ASIC (using a proper PLCC removal tool....) and re-inserting.

And blow me after a full shop and months of working fine its started resetting again in attract mode, sometime every minute or so and then it will go an hour or so. Says factory settings restored but DOESN'T lose high scores. Voltage on TP2 on driver board is 4.98V and on pin 32 of the game ROM on CPU board I get 4.90V - yet I still get a reset - is this sounding more and more like an ASIC issue ?

All theories appreciated (especially off the legend!!)

Cheers Kev

Back
Top Bottom