What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Al!

I only know a couple of his songs and I never found him very funny but I hardly know his work TBH. More than some recent themes though, if it is done well I think I personally would like it. I think it misses the mark trying to appeal to new buyers of P3 though. I doubt many are going to pick this over the next few Stern or JJP licences.

Hmm. Sounds like a copyright minefield. I shudder to think who owns the synch rights to a parody song.

Remember when Dutch Pinball proudly announced the music on TBL based on having bought a CD 😱

Did the guy write any original music or was it all songs with alternative lyrics?

I strongly suggest everyone watches UHF but does so slightly drunk. One of those films where I still chuckle when I remember some of the smart but stupid jokes.

Badger, Badgers! We don’t need no stinking badgers.

I strongly suggest everyone watches UHF but does so slightly drunk. One of those films where I still chuckle when I remember some of the smart but stupid jokes.

Not seen UHF for a long time but I remember it being very good, may have to give it a rewatch see how it holds up.

I bought a dvd of it the other year and it is on my media server. It might be one of those films where I still laugh as I remember the jokes but I still enjoy it.

I can’t imagine Weird Al had the rights to much as so much is a spoof of other movies or songs.

Red snapper- very tasty

Hmm. Sounds like a copyright minefield. I shudder to think who owns the synch rights to a parody song.

Remember when Dutch Pinball proudly announced the music on TBL based on having bought a CD 😱

Did the guy write any original music or was it all songs with alternative lyrics?
I think all of his work is parodies, no original stuff.

Parodies can be made without copyright licences as it comes under fair use - though Al always asked for permission from the artist before creating a song, and only did it if they agreed to it.

Smells like Nirvana

With permission from Kurt Cobain. Filmed on the same set and with some of the same actors as the original. The main difference is the lyrics are easier to understand.

“Fair use”. A very grey area. Changing the lyrics doesn’t mean you own the tune in any shape or form.

Look at the amount the verve lost from a tiny Stones sample in their biggest hit. From memory 100% of the publishing was then retrospectively taken by the stones.

I’m 100% certain that weird Al obtains clearance for all his tracks ( I remember reading an article once about a particular track he cut due to clearance issues despite the original artist loving it).

However, just because it’s cleared for use on a cd etc doesn’t mean the track can necessarily then be synched to a film or a game etc.

It took us months of negotiation to get the synch rights to 20th centuary boy cleared when paramount wanted to include our version of it in The Truman Show. Eye watering amounts were being slung at Marc Bolan’s estate but they had little interest in shifting their positions.

Small Pin manufacturers don’t have a Stella track record of understanding copyright. (Predator anyone 😉)

Even Stern get caught out. Their licence for the Walking Dead is a classic example of someone not being aware of the limitations of their licence.

Anyway, good luck to them all. Not a theme that ticks any boxes for me but another pin is always a good thing. 😀

I think all of his work is parodies, no original stuff.

Parodies can be made without copyright licences as it comes under fair use - though Al always asked for permission from the artist before creating a song, and only did it if they agreed to it.
Correct he always approached the original artist, amazing the talent that agreed to him doing parodies, guess the yanks love him.

Really hope this is a red herring for Transformers The Movie, that could be bloody great on P3.

Back
Top Bottom