What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weak flipper hold issue

The gnd is supplied by the power driver board.
I suggest you check grounding.
sorry man the grounding is common throughout all of the boards via the huge metal sheet backplane in the backbox. Thats why important all board screws are tight as that grounds all of the boards. J103 is unrelated - study the diagram I sent you for the flipper circuitry.

Anyway if you see my last post I have now proven it is mechanical and nothing to do with the electronics. Thanks for all the suggestions

Cheers

Kev

Sorry just assumed you'd done s full mechanical strip.
Well done for sorting it out.

Have you tried swapping the coils over kev? You proven everything upstream of the coils, but not the actual coils.

Have you tried swapping the coils over kev? You proven everything upstream of the coils, but not the actual coils.
yes @kevlar swapped 3 coils in onto the right flipper - one of them brand new and still the same, so I think I have now proven it is deffo mechanical, which astounds me, as at the moment I don't know what it could be. I guess it must be the plunger, but I dont know how or why. The magnetism is so weak you can knock the flipper back with a feather!! The only think I can think is the plunger has become so magnetised it causes an issue ???

posting a video of it very shortly.

Cheers

kev

Here is a link to the video I promised showing what is happening - NOTE this is with the wires swapped over for the 2 flippers so left cables to right flipper and vice versa, so as I said now totally eliminates anything electronic/electrical and yes I have swapped the coil 3 times so not that.

Cheers

kev

Are the eos switches swapped in this video too? I would start by investigating why when you push the weak flipper back, it does not reenergise when the end of stroke switch is opened. Have you checked the eos for correct operation ?

Then on the strong flipper, you should be able to move it back by hand and feel the coil reenergise against your push.

Are you 100% happy you have the coils wired correctly ?

Are the eos switches swapped in this video too? I would start by investigating why when you push the weak flipper back, it does not reenergise when the end of stroke switch is opened. Have you checked the eos for correct operation ?

Then on the strong flipper, you should be able to move it back by hand and feel the coil reenergise against your push.

Are you 100% happy you have the coils wired correctly ?
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply - No the EOS switches aren't reversed in this video, but it is EXACTLY the same when the flippers are wired in the correct manner. I was led to believe the EOS dont even come into it on WPC games(clays guide) I can push the left bat back but a much harder push and it does re-energise, it's just the right one pushes back way to easy(but it does re-energise as you can see in the vid). The coils are wired correctly. Got me stumped !!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

kev

Ok. Mechanically if the plunger doesn’t reach the end stop and there is an air gap, the magnetic path is weakened and plunger can easily be moved. Can you hear the plunger contacting the end stop ? Does the flipper link contact the coil sleeve before it’s able to reach the end stop?

Ok. Mechanically if the plunger doesn’t reach the end stop and there is an air gap, the magnetic path is weakened and plunger can easily be moved. Can you hear the plunger contacting the end stop ? Does the flipper link contact the coil sleeve before it’s able to reach the end stop?
Weirdly Andy it does sound different to the left flipper ie as if not hitting the end stop perhaps. I was now thinging a plunger/end stop issue anyway and have ordered some(would of been from you but shut!). The flipper link deffo hits the coil sleeve, and I suspect before the plunger hits the end stop. Is it a case of the plunger has worn down as I did swap the end stop and that made no difference ?

Cheers

kev

You're definitely using A-12390 end stops instead of A-12111? A-12390 is longer...

You're definitely using A-12390 end stops instead of A-12111? A-12390 is longer...
Good point @Durzel just put back on what was already on there - although I did swap left to right end stops and made no difference and left flipper works perfect - so sort of rules end stop out - however I have ordered new end stops and plungers

Cheers

kev

so its fixed !! it was a combination of a worn end stop and very worn plunger. Clearly plunger wasnt meeting end stop and that severely weakened the magnetic strength.

Here is the plunger next to a new one and the end stop as well.

Cheers Kev

Funny how a mechanical wear issue manifests almost as an electrical (magnetic) one.

Happy you've got it sorted. I've been putting off rebuilding my TAF flipper as I'm intimidated by it. It works well enough that it's easier (less stressful) to deal with it later. :(

His website says it's closed till 8th April.
Seems like you've swapped out just about everything. You said you'd changed the end stop - what about the plunger/link? Do you have new end stop and plunger to try?
Mine too!

Back
Top Bottom