What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weak flipper hold issue

newdos

Site Supporter
Alias
Newdos
Hi,

having a problem I have not been able to bottom out yet - R. lower flip on DM has a weak hold current. ie. if I push on the flipper on hold it drops easily and the ball can also do this if it hits hit hard, causing a phantom flip. The left flipper is rock solid on hold.

SO, I changed the coil and adjusted EOS switch made no difference. then to the fliptronic board - replaced Q11 hold transitor,(TIP102) and still no better.

Anyone seen this issue before or any ideas ?

Cheers

kev

Try swapping the flipper opto boards over and see if problem goes to other side. Had a similar issue and it was an opto failing.

Reactions: DRD
OK so swapped the optos over made no difference at all. So now I have swapped in another fliptronic board and still the same!!!! changed the coil again and the end stop and still the same. got me totally stumped !!!

HELP!!!!!!

Cheers

kev

Theres a connector top right of the driver board. J103 i think
Check to see if thats been warming up.
They tend to go a blueish colour.
Try and make good connection with this and see if it helps

will check it but I think it's fine.

Cheers

kev

Connectors checked and all fine - still at a total loss with this one :(

Andy, do you think you could shed any light on this one ? @pinballmania

Cheers

Kev
His website says it's closed till 8th April.
Seems like you've swapped out just about everything. You said you'd changed the end stop - what about the plunger/link? Do you have new end stop and plunger to try?

Presumably the weak hold is because of the low power coil voltage being too low? Is there any practical way of measuring the voltage to see what it's doing during a game compared to the other working one?

Im sure I checked the hold volatges at both coils and they were fine - but done so much lost track to be honest!!! so will check again.

I havent replaced the plunger/link but cant see what difference that would make ???? I did swap the end stop from L to R and it made no difference.

frustrated cos it's got to be something daft !!! :mad:

All I can think with my novice brain assuming voltages are ok is something silly like too strong a EOS spring, overcoming the hold power of the coil.

Im sure I checked the hold volatges at both coils and they were fine - but done so much lost track to be honest!!! so will check again.

I havent replaced the plunger/link but cant see what difference that would make ???? I did swap the end stop from L to R and it made no difference.

frustrated cos it's got to be something daft !!! :mad:

Humour me and try that J103, Worked on my TZ

All I can think with my novice brain assuming voltages are ok is something silly like too strong a EOS spring, overcoming the hold power of the coil.
if anything the return spring is a bit weak as its been overstreched so deffo not that

I would just replace the connector and see if it makes a difference. It did on mine.
Voltage levels are only as good as the gnd connection.

I would just replace the connector and see if it makes a difference. It did on mine.
Voltage levels are only as good as the gnd connection.
by the way I assume you meant J903 which is the ribbon cable to cpu ? or did you mean th power cbale to the flippers J902 ???

by the way I assume you meant J903 which is the ribbon cable to cpu ? or did you mean th power cbale to the flippers J902 ???
J103 top right of the driver board. It should have three black wires in it.

J103 top right of the driver board. It should have three black wires in it.
not sure whant you on about @Vimtoman J 103 has nothing to do with fliptronic board - if you mean J114 shown below, that cannot be the issue as any grounding issues would affect the whole fliptronic board. I have also metered the AC voltage coming ins from the transformer on J901 on the flip board as well and they are spot on. All the boards are also grounded through the backplane as well so almost impossible to have a grounding issue unless the boards arent securely screwed down.

A Hold issue like you describe is not gonna be anything mechanical with the flipper.

I would agree with suggestions about bad connection somewhere along the line.
Thats what I thought Sarge - I think my next line of attack is to swap out the whole flipper mech with a known good one and see what happens. If issue still there then deffo electrical connection issue somewhere.

Cheers

Kev

Could a bad solder joint on the coil cause this? If you replace the whole flipper assembly and in the process resolder the coil you might mask the problem. Guess it can't hurt to try it if you have a spare one.

I presume you've rebuilt the flipper mech?
I had a similar problem on bsd but a rebuild and adjusting the EOS cured this. Sounds like it's not making the switch completely. ?. There can't be much more to check or replace

Could a bad solder joint on the coil cause this? If you replace the whole flipper assembly and in the process resolder the coil you might mask the problem. Guess it can't hurt to try it if you have a spare one.
changed 3 coils so I doubt it !!!!

I presume you've rebuilt the flipper mech?
I had a similar problem on bsd but a rebuild and adjusting the EOS cured this. Sounds like it's not making the switch completely. ?. There can't be much more to check or replace
EOS is irrelevant on WPC games - does nothing other than let the CPU know it has been made. see clays guide re flippers and EOS switches

thanks anyway!!!!

so the plot thickens I swapped over the three wires for each of the flippers from left to right - and guess what, left flipper with right flipper cables on - it works fine !!! right flipper with left flipper cables on, it is still weak as crap !!! so it now has to be mechanical - so I think another plunger and end stop is the next think to replace, unless anyone else has any other suggestions ????

watch this space!!!

I have done a video to show you all will upload it tomorrow from work

Cheers

Kev

Back
Top Bottom