What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCS VUK’s and Optos

Spadge

Registered
Hi, playing WCS earlier which has been fine for a month after I refurbed it. Anyway, midway through a game, odd stuff began to happen, not registering goals or shots to the striker award (same vuk) and the tv award would start firing.

First I thought a screw or something may be causing it. Anyway I looked at the tv award vuk and it was fine.

Popped it into switch mode and those optos didn’t switch, which sounds to me like optos in the goal/striker aren’t registering since the ball will sit there.

Ball is fired out when the table ball searches.

All fuses are fine, no machine errors. Everything else is ok.

Has the opto board died? Is that likely? I know that it is unlikely that all the optos die at once. I had changed the opto in the goal when I got it because that was shot (no pun intended).

I’m happy to get a new opto board if that’s what I need but there may be something else ? Game has probably 50-100 plays and been fine.

Any ideas?

Yes think there are 4 sets, goal, striker hole, Tv award hole. Again just playing it, not tinkering.

Yeah I believe so, I've left the office (where WCS is) for the day.

The led on the opto board was lit, suggesting to me it was getting its 12v. Anyway I've just ordered a new 10 opto replacement board (by homepin) which is serviceable. If I get it working again and I have a spare, fair enough, it's used in TZ too, I just didn't want to start swapping boards about, the TZ is fine :)

So have 12v at TP1. Just over a volt on emitters, no optos recognised. I had a HomePin 10 opto board and that didn’t resolve it.

All the switches in column 4 appear to be down and controlled by IC U20, which I can’t see! Can see up to U19 bottom right of power board.

I’ll check the green yellow wire for issues from J207.4

CC5074E8-185E-4E95-8925-B25C85448507.jpeg

Sorted.

U20 was on mpu board, not power board. It was socketed so likely blown before. I have a spare mpu board and guess what, u20 also socketed. Replaced u20 (uln2 803A) and all good.

Thanks to @pinsinthewild for help pointing me to the cpu u20 :)

Back
Top Bottom