What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waxing playfield

Pinheadz but I don't know now where you can get it in the uk

Millwax is awful, it gets everywhere. Plus it's a cleaner wax.

I got this on reccomendation from this forum and Neil goes on about it.
Collinite 845 Insulator Wax, 473 ml, white https://amzn.eu/d/9pnrcS8

Used this before and stil getting through it
Mother's 05550 Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste, California Gold https://amzn.eu/d/hOOlACQ

I believe @Jackpot bought the liquid version of the above and said it worked great.

I also have some of the hard to find Gerlitz No1 gifted by a fine forum member for me to try and it does seem to be the dogs balls.🤣

I had Millwax when I was new to Pinball and once it ran out I didn't buy it again

A few of my newer pins need cleaned.. I used to use Novus 1 and Gerlitz wax. Then stopped using the wax on my newer pins and just used Novus 1. I bought that wax that Neil recommended. However I’m flummoxed now on whether just using wax will be good enough for cleaning new playfields..
Any advice?

Last edited:
Depends what you're trying to do.
If it needs cleaning, Novus.
To wax it (keep it easy to clean, plays nicer!) use wax.

Wax doesn’t clean, it’s just protects and makes it play smoother (faster 😒).

I used foam cleaner, Novus 1 and then a good quality carnauba wax. However, you don’t need to wax every time.

Last edited:
I use a foam cleaner twice than Gerlitz No1 Carnauba wax.
I rarely use Novus and when I do it’s a one off if I get a particular stinker of a game I’ve acquired and needs a big one off shop. Even then I’m very careful unless it’s on a cloudy Mylar covered PF.

Makes you wonder these days.
New PFs have that much Mylar that there is zero benefit from waxing plastic

Most modern Sterns only have Mylar around high traffic areas, so it’s not that bad.
Know what your saying but with plastic and inaccessible areas to the rear of the PF …. I find I do the main areas and that’s that
Even some plastic too gets done which is pointless

Ball trails, around the slings etc…
Find it quite difficult to remove them with carnuba wax.
Just wondering if there’s anything that can help in that dept.
Something that can polish them out on top layer of clear coat without being too harsh.
Kinda like a PF friendly cutting compound… ?

Ball trails, around the slings etc…
Find it quite difficult to remove them with carnuba wax.
Just wondering if there’s anything that can help in that dept.
Something that can polish them out on top layer of clear coat without being too harsh.
Kinda like a PF friendly cutting compound… ?
Remember the wax cannot clean. Think of it like a car, the wax is the final treatment to keep it clean for longer. You still need to clean the car before applying wax, same with a playfield.

I use foam cleaner or Novux 1 for ball trails and with a little elbow grease they go.

psychosomatic? Lol..

Diner has a playfield protector on it, it's plastic right?
Before waxing stirring the cup would barely go past 1mil.
Now the ball flies up the ramp so fast you can get 3.5mil.
So it's done something even if it's not really protecting anything.

Remember the wax cannot clean. Think of it like a car, the wax is the final treatment to keep it clean for longer. You still need to clean the car before applying wax, same with a playfield.

I use foam cleaner or Novux 1 for ball trails and with a little elbow grease they go.
I’ll give that a try.
I’ve got 2 spray tins of foam cleaner that came from PU.
It pretty much says it cleans everything.. plastic, glass, PF, rubber etc….
It smells quite potent and there is a disclaimer about it’s use which put me off a bit but I’m sure it will be fine. I’ve heard about peeps putting pinball cleaners on clear plastic ramps and they have went cloudy - nightmare.
I also have different compound wax for cars with cutting agents in it to remove scratches, tar etc…. not sure if I’d use it on a PF though.
Didn’t someone use Brasso to clean a PF that was filthy with good results?

I would just stick to a good Carnauba wax, which is gentle. You don’t neee it to abrasive.

I haven’t used Brasso, so cannot comment, but unless it is really imbedded dirt, foam cleaner will be enough.

Back
Top Bottom