What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch out for faulty Lithium Batteries....

Another hobby of mine is radio controlled aircraft. These all use lipo batteries, a derivative of li-ion. These things are seriously dangerous! Many charge them in ammo cases - preferably in an outbuilding...

just think of all the Teslas and other milk floats - driving around with ya **** on explosives!

Lithium or just rechargeable???? I thought I was doing a good thing buying lithium and earlier this year replaced all of my pin batteries with energizer lithium. All of my old ones have remote battery holders anyway but figured as lithium didn't leak and lasted longer i'd spurge on them. Rechargeable issue only??????

Another hobby of mine is radio controlled aircraft. These all use lipo batteries, a derivative of li-ion. These things are seriously dangerous! Many charge them in ammo cases - preferably in an outbuilding...

Oh great! I've got a few of these and a load of NiHM's....and a load of gas canisters all stored in the same room. I'm assuming they're only dangerous during charging or if you puncture them?

Oh great! I've got a few of these and a load of NiHM's....and a load of gas canisters all stored in the same room. I'm assuming they're only dangerous during charging or if you puncture them?
Yes that's usually when things go wrong. If you store them at the proper voltage (~3.7V/cell) they also have less energy to release.

I’ve blew a few big ones on purpose as you do when out with mates flying models/drones.
Yep nasty things in home environment but I’ve never seen one fail like that before was he messing with it or summit.
When lipos start to fail they generally swell badly and a decent charger shows each cells health. Hence blowing up the old ones out in the wild.
I’m sure cars have a different setup which prevents this even in a bad crash.
I’ve got few mates who work at Nissan and the have a battery plant.
pablouk should know he gaffer there

From the guy in the Video....

After this happening to me last night.

I thought it prudent to post this and warn others to be careful when using rechargable cells. I have to do some tests to determine if it was a faulty battery or a faulty charge controller that caused this, but either way its a wake up call.
It "was" the second revision Ram tester prototype...
I managed to determine that the charge board is working fine, but the cell was faulty which caused it to fail. I will only be buying the better brand cells like Panasonic and Nexcell from now on.
It was a 14500 cell, so not a lot bigger than a AA
Got a cut to my wrist where something hit me and some minor burns to my neck from the gases, but otherwise ok.

LIPO are slightly more stable now than when the RC cars were using them 10 years ago. At the club there was one kaboom every couple of weeks, some fizzles but a few very impressive. They put an extra container in the car park and said LIPO charging was only to be done inside that. But discharge rates meant if you didn't use them, you couldn't compete.

just think of all the Teslas and other milk floats - driving around with ya **** on explosives!

Yeah, because all that petrol in your M3 is notoriously hard to ignite ;)

LOL I only posted that to see if you’d respond :D

Quality LOL hope you are well Man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Starting to panic now as got my son one of these for his birthday and have been charging the batteries in the kitchen 🙄 65mph out of the box 🤫

I’ve blew a few big ones on purpose as you do when out with mates flying models/drones.
Yep nasty things in home environment but I’ve never seen one fail like that before was he messing with it or summit.
When lipos start to fail they generally swell badly and a decent charger shows each cells health. Hence blowing up the old ones out in the wild.
I’m sure cars have a different setup which prevents this even in a bad crash.
I’ve got few mates who work at Nissan and the have a battery plant.
pablouk should know he gaffer there
You are dead right Col you don't get a 5 Star NCAP safety rating with a load of LiPo cells under ur A*** as Neil mentions lol

As long as you charge them correctly with a decent balance charger, don't store them fully charged, and store them in a special fireproof bag (they sell them at model stores) you will be fine.

The speed controllers on modern RC cars have a cutoff voltage limit to stop the batteries getting fully discharged. That voltage is around the correct storage voltage for LiPo batteries, so I just run my car until it stops, and then store the batteries at that level until I want to use the car again

I had a head torch to fix my Pinballs until I watched a video like this, needles to say I am never wearing a head torch again.

Back
Top Bottom