What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was the Banning auction a one off?

GezTheHealer

Registered
Interesting article on the price of pins & the banning auctions here -

Stating the average pin has doubled in price in the last few years (!) I’ve been kinda figuring most have gone up by about a grand. Eg a hs2 used to be about £1500/£1700 and I’d now expect £2500. But maybe that’s more inline with new prices creeping up.

So question; do you think Banning auction was an outlier or the canary down the mine and all prices are going to shoot up beyond that of new 😳. I’m tempted to agree it was an outlier as of people with money to burn following lockdowns. Interesting how they say there was a lot of first time buyers who have got into it seeing the national coverage.

A lot more people are getting hooked which can only mean one thing🤑

Prices have only ever gone up in the last 20 years and with so many new pins being made with price increases they still can’t keep up with demand I can’t see prices dropping anytime soon, although I’m thinking the ceiling has been reached surely🤷‍♂️

Read the article, not really much to say but certainly raised some interesting points. As someone who started buying solid state dmd games at between 1000 and 1500 in 2018/2019 and now looking at titles I didn’t buy then priced at 4-6k for players condition it does ring true.

For sure it was an outlier right now - the auction house serves US’s rich and famous. some games did go for reasonable prices to pinheads but majority went to collectible crazies.

I honestly would never pay more than £2K for HS2 - it’s just not that good a game IMO. But people must have games and have loads of tax payers money in their pockets from stimulus or government loans and furlough… (thats right you are paying for someone else’s pinball machine!!).

I was thinking about this the other night and I think the manufacturers need to really consider their pricing much more than they used to in my view. with the price move of 5500 to 7500 for a pro level game they have effectively created a second hand market at the £5K level for older games - and that is bad news for them in my view because that’s the consistent volume they need to take the next step of growth. Stern are taking the limited supply cash hike bonanza right now but that simply can’t last forever and I wonder how much real analysis they have done on if they brought prices down and captured more of the market and more volume would they be better off. Right now it’s a moot point because the pinball industry was so badly prepared for a small hike in demand hence why we see used demand skyrocketing and their price increases stoking the used market massively thus the industry leaving a huge amount of cash on the table. especially as George stated they have had to lease a warehouse to store parts for the future - why not also build a third assembly line to take the working capital and put it to good use.

Neil.

These people seem to think the sky's the limit:

Back
Top Bottom