What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warm LED's throughout or colour match hmmmm

strongs

Site Supporter
Currently in the middle of a mini restore on my Dr Dude and I'm trying to decide on LED's. I thought I had it all worked out, Comet Supreme's, cool white for the GI and colour match the inserts job done...but honestly, after turning the machine on this evening with a few cool white 'testers' on the playfield and the original incandacent bulbs in the backbox I can't help but like the warm glow of the original incandescent bulbs.

There's just something cheap looking about cool white LED's. I've never been a fan of cool white, even for house lighting I always go for warm bulbs as they just feel more premium?

So now I don't know whether to just warm white the lot including the inserts...sure the inserts won't POP! as much and be as colour rich but there's just something I like about the original 'look' of the machine.

I can't decide... opinions please!

And you don’t think there’s anything wrong with me using warm white for my inserts too? I know I’m going against the grain a little...
Once a colour-matcher, I’ve since turned and now just buy a big bag of sunlight’s and do it all that way. That way all inserts are same brightness, same hue, easier to buy and less bulb planning by colour/socket etc.

Used warm white in LOTR, but same thought process. I see no reason why you shouldn’t do whatever you want!

Maybe just leave the bulbs and just clean the inserts from underneath?

My personal issue in using LEDs is the nasty blinky look they give, and I may have mentioned LED OCD a few hundred times before, but it’s either LEDs + OCD board for me, or incansdecants. Lot of money for a subtle board though... so only if you really love Dr Dude, dude!

There's nothing wrong with doing anything that looks good to you :)

Although I'm certainly in the pro LED-OCD camp, especially with Sterns, which I find blink/strobe a lot more than pins in the classic BW era.

Not a fan of warm-white leds either, I just don't like the yellowish hue. But if all leds were of one type/colour then it'll likely look better.

But again, its down to you, very subjective.

For me, it's one of the pleasures of identifying your tastes on your machine - and super easy to reverse. I love ledding and messing.

Took the plunge and ordered a load of warm whites. I checked last night and Dr Dude uses a few condoms on the insert lamps and a few above the playfield which fit over the new comet bulbs just fine. So it will look relatively original but will run cooler, use less leccy, be a touch brighter and the bulbs will last longer.

Back
Top Bottom