What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VPX 10.8 anyone

Andy B

Site Supporter
Been loading up tables to my new Vpin build last few days.

Some of the newer VPX ones which look awesome are made in version 10.8 so they’re not loading properly or have issues in 10.72 which is the version I’m using.

Anyone using 10.8?

If you are and it is stable how easy is it to upgrade?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy
Have you moved to 64 bit yet. With the newer tables you’ll need 10.8 and 64bit install of everything. You can easily dual run things by installing to a separate location.

If you use a front end you’ll need to adapt that for dual running. i.e changing the launch script for the tables you want to run on 10.8

Hi Andy
Have you moved to 64 bit yet. With the newer tables you’ll need 10.8 and 64bit install of everything. You can easily dual run things by installing to a separate location.

If you use a front end you’ll need to adapt that for dual running. i.e changing the launch script for the tables you want to run on 10.8
Not sure mate. Doubt it. Just did brief reading on it and looks like he’ll of a lot of messing around. I might just stick with what I have - which has taken me long enough to get sorted and okaying nice! I have managed to get older versions of the pins I am trying to run that say they need minimum of 10.8 with exception of Dr.Dude where the only version I can find is a horizontal playfield full table image.

I checked and I am running 32 bit VPX.

As I said above - seems like a lot of dangerous (😊) messing about to install 64 so not going to bother for time being.

However I have found a workaround for the error message about different versions. If the game appears to work OK in the older version of VPX then you can just open table, save it in your version of VPX and restart and no error message. I just tried it with Star Trek.

I believe Road Show also seemed to be working OK despite the error message last time I played it so will try this on that one later too. Dr.Dude visuals are all wrong though so no good for that one.

I’m sure this is known to the more experienced VPX users amongst you but if there are any relative newbies like me on here then this might be good to know.

Download the latest baller installer for pin front end. It will download all the newest versions of vpx vpin mame etc and install them all for you. Upgrading is pretty simple. I run 10.8 and 10.7 both 32 and 64x versions along with vr. It's not too bad when you have done it a few times

Download the latest baller installer for pin front end. It will download all the newest versions of vpx vpin mame etc and install them all for you. Upgrading is pretty simple. I run 10.8 and 10.7 both 32 and 64x versions along with vr. It's not too bad when you have done it a few times
Thanks but I got (almost) everything playing nice with each other at the moment - have painstakingly uploaded and configured 76 tables and don’t want to mess the whole thing up with reinstalls.

Any ideas what additional benefits there are with 10.8? Is it worth the upgrade?

Visually yes, settings wise yes, want to play the newset tables with all the bells and whistles? Yes. But if you are happy with what you have and don't want the latest stuff then no. You can run both side by side

I can send links when I get time of video tutorials on how to update safely if you like. Also if you use discord I have a few servers dedicated to everything vpin related

I can send links when I get time of video tutorials on how to update safely if you like. Also if you use discord I have a few servers dedicated to everything vpin related
That would be great thanks mate - particularly access to the servers - I’ll install Discord and send you a DM

Tried it. Some of graphics on the tables I had installed working fine got messed up (e.g. magnet side of trunk had no target decal on it). Reverted back to 10.72. Think I’ll wait.

Also tried installing pinUPPlayer - backgkass and DMD in the Flintstones PuPPack that I tested it with were on main playfield and I couldn’t shift them. After that unsuccessful attempt all the DMDs on my other tables had gone. There was nothing showing on second screen.

Luckily I had set up a restore point so I rolled back and luckily everything was OK again.

Moral of this story is I need to walk before I can run.

I’ve got PinballX and VPX10.72 working just fine in the cabinet and it’s playing all the tables (89 so far) I’ve uploaded. I’ve installed starter motor solenoids for all my DOF devices barring flippers which are contactors and they’re working well too so I’m going to stick to that for time being and just carry on loading up and configuring tables.

Going to update my build log in the next week or so too.

Back
Top Bottom