What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virtual window shopping

Dave Velociraptor

Registered
I always liked the pinball tables I played in the 90s, which it turns out were the same ones everybody else liked too. Indy, Addams Family, Star Trek TNG etc. I dabbled in and out of virtual pinball just on a computer over the years. And I always wanted a full size pinball (or close to it) with a screen in it.

I'm now tempted again, spurred on by Techmoan's recent video and I've jumped into a rabbit hole of working out what's what.

I'm actually becoming a lot more hesitant now considering the cost of the high end ones and looking at what they do... would a cheaper one not feel naff and would I end up regretting it?

Anwyay, I thought I'd sign up here while I'n browsing around and trying to work out if I should get one, or not. I'm thinking I'm better off not getting one at all than getting one I regret.

I take it you mean virtual pinball as Techmoan has just reviewed the atgames turd
Yes - it was initially impressive until I started looking into it. It feels to me that the cost is higher than it could be because it's imported. I'd be better off getting something made in the UK. I did watch a video comparing the Atgames with a 1up pinball table and the difference is incredible. However the 1up is aimed at a bit of a different market and really I think it made the Atgames look perhaps better than it is.

I am fairly lost though in terms of deciding what to do.

I think any virtual table would be great - for a few days until the novelty wore off and then it would only still be great if I didn't start to see through the cracks. And my worry is I'd have this expensive ornament in my living room reminding me that I wasted money on something I won't be happy with.

So from there I started looking at more tables. I started looking at ArcadeLand, now trading as Pinballia. From what I've read on this forum they are ok, I think I read a comment from you saying they've improved a lot.

I watched a fascinating video which I quickly realised was marketing but none the less it was still fascinating.
It's a manufactuer saying what you need... which happens to be what they sell.

I'm now at the point though where I don't know what wouild be good enough. Do I need to spend 5K to get something I'd be happy with? Would even that be not good enough? Might I be happy with a 32" thing for a lot less?

Arcadeland are in Stoke on Trent and that's a long way away, but next time I'm driving down to the cave I can stop in and see what I think. It's simply not the case that I play pinball often now, in fact I wouldn't even know where to go play it other than at motorway service stations, if they still have them, and I dind't like any of the tables I've played there. I much prefer the ones I played in the 90s.

Looking at this - https://www.pinballia.com/product/43-full-size-4k-144-hz-4-screen-virtual-pinball-machine/ - it seems a lot for what's there. Of course I simply may not understand things well enough.

As far as I can see things break down to...

The physical wooden cabinet. | Legs, trim, surround, t-moulding, vinyl graphic sides etc. | Monitors (x3 seems the likely way). | The PC. | Wiring, looms, solenoids, kickers, tilt sensors etc - the gubbins of the pinball. | Labour

I suppose they do have to pay VAT on it. And of course I've not priced it up, nor am I really able to.

This may not be terribly helpful, but you can get a Star Trek TNG for less than the virtual pins you’re looking at, and it has more of the real-life, visceral pinball feel.

Maybe put up a Wanted ad for some of the 90s pins you enjoyed and see what shows up (Addams and Indy are expensive, however).

We had a vPin for a few months, but - despite only having two pins in our front room - we just played those instead. Variety (of table) isn’t always the spice of life.

and the idea of trying to maintain a mechanical table puts me off
Vpins are not immune from issues, I’ve bought 2 now from separate manufacturers, one being arcadeland ( now pinbalia) . Both went wrong on more than one occasion, so some basic computer, IT skills are required. I’m pretty useless with computers, so had to spend many hours on YouTube and forums trying to fix the problems. Generally vpins are trouble free, but problems will still arise, just something to be aware of.

So I should say where my skills are.

I'm totally fine with building PCs I've built loads over the past few decades. My main PC is a very well done custom watercooled setup. I'm actually fine with retro PCs as well. I have a workstation with soldering, desoldering, hot air etc, bench supply, scope etc. Loads of tools there. I can repair old systems. I'm sitting in a room with loads of old systems connected up to CRTs. However it's a lot of work and I'm way, way behind on projects.

So I think maintaining a virtual table would probably be fine. I have zero skills with wood, mechanical stuff, any pinball innards are mostly a mystery to me.

Sounds like your best bet, is to by a pre built cabinet, there are companies out there that sell them. Then install the pc screens etc yourself
It would be considerably cheaper than buying one, and probably higher spec 😊👍

From what you've said I think a 32" HD would be good enough for you. This will answer your question of if you will get bored with it for a lesser amount of money.

My first V-Pin was from @Pick Holder, an upgraded Ultrapin with a 32" HD screen which is about 3/4 the size of a real Pin. I did end up upgrading to a full size 4k machine but to be honest I couldn't really say I enjoyed it more, though 4k does look nice on a bigger screen.

The most important thing is making sure it has enough oomph in the graphics card department so flipper lag is imperceptible. That is far more important than going 4k.

Am I dreaming as this all sounds a little DejaVu and we back on the VPin merry go round 😜
My advice is don’t go balls out on a VPin until you sure this is how you want to end up.
Go play some real pins then dl Zens Pinball FX Bally/williams tables and play them on your super water cooled turbo nutter PC.
For better effect use your monitor in portrait mode to get an idea of how good they can look on your current setup.
VPins do come up here from time to time and
members like @Pick Holder can maybe help you out as he regularly builds and trades them.
As great as they are they not is the same
ballpark as a real pin but nonetheless still great fun, hell I’ve just upgraded my game rig to a RTX 4080 super so my trusty old 2080Ti will be the grunt behind my 32in mini VPin project if I can get all my other projects completed this year.
Keep us informed and let us know how you get in 👍

My advice is don’t go balls out on a VPin until you sure this is how you want to end up.
Go play some real pins then dl Zens Pinball FX Bally/williams tables and play them on your super water cooled turbo nutter PC.
For better effect use your monitor in portrait mode to get an idea of how good they can look on your current setup.

Alas it was built in 2018 so it's quite out of date now, I wasn't trying to brag about having a wonderfully powerful system. I was just saying I could do the PC side of things comfortably!

I have played virtual pinball on a portrait monitor though, many years ago and it was great!

I'm not going to do this until I'm ready and I've made sure I am not making a mistake though.

I am just finishing off a 4k Virtual Pinball machine - see my build posts in the virtual pinball section - that I will be listing for sale later today (I am literally waiting for the paint to dry on lockdown bar and hinges I resprayed today!).

It has 145 tables on it so far. All the usual subjects such as TAF, ToM, TOTAN etc., plus more modern stuff, some EMs and some really good originals.

For anyone pc savvy, adding more tables is easily done - takes me about 5 mins to install one now, get it set up and added to Pinball Popper front end menu.

As I say, will be up in For Sale section later today with lots of photos, detailed description, spec. details etc.

Will be looking for around £2,250 for it.

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpeg
    IMG_2374.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2375.jpeg
    IMG_2375.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2376.jpeg
    IMG_2376.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 21
I am just finishing off a 4k Virtual Pinball machine - see my build posts in the virtual pinball section - that I will be listing for sale later today (I am literally waiting for the paint to dry on lockdown bar and hinges I resprayed today!).

It has 145 tables on it so far. All the usual subjects such as TAF, ToM, TOTAN etc., plus more modern stuff, some EMs and some really good originals.

For anyone pc savvy, adding more tables is easily done - takes me about 5 mins to install one now, get it set up and added to Pinball Popper front end menu.

As I say, will be up in For Sale section later today with lots of photos, detailed description, spec. details etc.

Will be looking for around £2,250 for it.
Wow - for that money that is really good.....

Back
Top Bottom