What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Virtual Pinball Machine

Hi Adam
From someone who has built several VPins over the years make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into and consider these very important points before biting the bullet

1. It’s a PC and can be very temperamental as PCs usually are!
2. To run it smoothly on 3 screens you will need a very capable PC with a decent graphics card especially if you want to run PFX in 4K/60 fps like I do.
3. Be prepared for it to go totally tits up for no reason and able to deal with the hassle of maybe having to flatten the PC and do a full reinstall. **** happens.
4. If it’s 2nd hand don’t expect a seller to give you any form of backup unless they offer it and you local to them.
5. VPX and Virtual pinball in in general is a constant tinkering wip that never ends lol
6. Consider a custom made one that fits the monitors as in the early days I used old cabs and they don’t quite accommodate the screens to perfection like a custom one should. That said get one with a original lock bar to enhance the whole feel.
7. Don’t ever expect it to feel like the real deal, yes it has the full code and gameplay of the original, yes it looks incredible (especially PFX) and yes the tables are free and cheap. But and it’s a big Kardashian’s BUTT nothing comes close to playing a real table in the flesh.
8. Something to consider ahead of a vpin is maybe VR pinball and although it’s early days and Farsights is a little rough, VPX is working on this and I’m sure ZEN will at some point come to the fray and blow us all away.

The good bits
1. Pinball FX3 by zen is incredible and the enhanced modes of the Williams tables are a sight to behold especially in 4K. VPX just doesn’t cut it for me anymore although I still keep upto date with the releases for the hell of it.
2. Great if you have room for only one pin as you end up with a hole bucketful
3. The VP community are a great help should you want to add something simply like real nudging or more enhanced like feedback, flashers, plunger and the likes. It’s almost endless albeit expensive.

You welcome anytime to come play mine before shelling out 1000’s on one and that way you get to play some real pins at the same time. This invite is extended to anyone on pinfo who maybe curious should they wish. Coffee, tea and alcohol supplied FOC.

My rig
40in 4K main screen,1080p backglass and 15in dell for DMD. I7 8th gen with RTX 2080Ti 16GB and 3 x 250 M2/SSD

View attachment 84788
Ok ok ok
I’ll have one

@Colywobbles - I find Windows 10 the most stable OS I have used since VP8 days of using XP back in the day.

I would agree on your point about PC specs. They virtually double if you run 4K - personally with the price of the screens I have kept to 1080p on most of my previous builds.

Having had FX3 in my last cab - it doesnt do anything for me. I would rather have VPX, but you are down to looking for the version of each game you prefer. For example I actually still play some old VP9 games over the newer VPX versions. But as everything is essentially free you can experiment.

We both have opinions that differ, but that would be the same on real pinballs.

I have sold quite a few VPins to people on this group and elsewhere and they have a good place in collections. In one machine you can have 100s of tables - and you can at least try out games before you buy the real thing, plus it is the only way most of us will play Cactus Canyon continued and Big Bang Bar!

Knowing a few people in the hobby - Spike and Spike 2 is close to being emulated but I am sure that will be the point that Gary Stern puts his foot down as Pinball Arcade run the Stern Pinball Arcade digital games, which have to be the most awful games on the planet. I only play Pinball Arcade on my phone.

These tables are a lot of fun - but you do have to keep up with updates and tinker with them a bit. Just like a real pin :)
Agree whole heartedly on WIN10 it is a game changer and super stable on a decent PC not some old POS that 2nd hand VPins usually come with!
To me 4k was and is the biggest game changer and gets rid of all the horrendous zaggies 1080p brings to the table “pun intended” however it comes at a greater cost.
My Vpin without the PC stands me about £30 in wood, £400 in screens inc 40in 4k micro bezel sammy with 5yr warranty!
So all in about £530 inc the decals ( I had couple spare lockbars, siderails and speaker panels) but even those can be got from here quite cheap 2nd hand.
My PC however is used for gaming and VR so sits under my pin to get dual use which I would always recommend as you get far more use out of it and can sort of justify spending a little more in hardware.
As for VPX, TPA & PFX3 each to there own I prefer PFX by far but that’s said you right VPX has its place with the likes of BBB and CC continued but hopefully these will come to TPA fingers crossed

Just starting out with my build... Would love a real machine eventually but thought I would give building a virtual version... Pc I had and a couple of spare tvs... Graphics from work printed... Trying to do this under £500...

Attachments

• IMG_20190407_181414.jpg
    IMG_20190407_181414.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 24
Guys this is all really great info thanks for your time..

I'm comfortable with PC builds and tinkering.. The main thing I don't have is

-The construction skills/tools
-The time to develop construction skills
-The time to endlessly setup and tweak each pinball machine.

Love the idea of 4k 60fps..agree it would make a huge difference up that close. Haptic feedback also important for the realism. Triple screen a must too.

I'll checkout some VR stuff too for fun.
Might crack out the old amiga cd32 for some pinball fantasies too 😉

Again. An awful lot of personal opinions.

I just don’t like fx3. It is a shame you can’t colourise the dmd and put in pup packs etc. Also you can’t access the roms. I thought it was so unrealistic. But hey. It’s just a choice you can make within the launcher. Vpx is free and improves all the time.

Pinball arcade has always been awful. I have all the tables and played them a couple of times and deleted them.

Spike 2 is apparently not far off being emulated but it’s behind closed doors at the moment.

Don’t get me started on future pinball. If you want a laugh put that in your cab!

Not sure why the hate for Future Pinball? Some of the very best tables run on Future Pinball with BAM.

BAM adds per pixel lighting, true cabinet mode and plugin physics modules amongst other stuff. It's brought a whole new lease of life to Future Pinball.

Last edited:
"Sadly Kase-Eo built absolute rubbish!"

I'm the guy selling the Kas-eo on here for £800. I respect Pick Holder's knowledge and experience of building Vpins but I thought the comment above was a bit mean.

As someone else pointed out on this thread, an upgrade to the hardware would ensure continued fun. The cabinet and screens are sound.

I am buying another Vpin on here and moving this on, as I have more cash than upgrade skills !!

Someone further up this thread has kindly provided a link to my advert.

I'm open to offers, and can deliver.

The £800 one on here would need more than a video card upgrade to run modern tables. You would need to throw a few hundred at it,

Having upgraded the same machine a year ago - I only got £900 for it with new graphic card and all the correct pinscape plunger fitted. Sadly Kase-Eo built absolute rubbish!

The £800 one is good if you want an entry level one, but it wont run VPX. Please see my thread on building Vpins on here (you may have to hunt for it). But it is a bit like saying 'I am going to buy this Popeye when I really want an AFM'.

I was going for second hand bits to get it going really - quick look on eBay gets you a GTX770 and a i5 from that generation for £100 all in.
Mine runs pretty much exactly that spec and runs VPX perfectly at 1080p with everything turned up with the exception of forced 4X AA
I've got a 3 screen setup, but it's a 1/2 size cabinet with a 27" playfield, maybe the AA would be more obvious on a 40" and that's why I'm getting away with a 770 and others are saying a 1060 is the minimum these days

I don't have DOF or a plunger though and mine is decidedly home made...

Interesting to hear about Spike/Spike2 - is that real emulation you're hearing about, not the hack to run spike games using the DLLs from TPA like GB?

Still looking for one if someone has a good one (high spec) for a fair price. Realised definitely no time to learn the skills and build one myself.

I've a vpin which was originally built by @Pick Holder. Here are my views for what they are worth.

- I hate MS Windows and if not for the requirement here, I wouldn't have it about me. However Win10 has been stable and caused no problems. Leave it off the network most of the time. Only use it for your vpin software. Take regular backups.
- Mine is in a standard Bally Williams cab with a real DMD; I like the familiar feel. And it's bomb-proof.
- I have force feedback solenoids but leave them physically switched off 99.999% of the time.
- Real plunger with optical interface works great.
- As does accelerometer-based nudge and tilt.
- Over a period of time I've found myself configuring PinballX so that only the VPX tables show up. That'll tell you something about my taste.
- Recently I've been disabling the tables I don't really use and focussing on tweaking the remainder (~50 well known tables - mostly BW and a few Gottlieb and Stern) to be really sweet looking and playing.
- Updating tables when a new version is available doesn't take much effort.
- Neither does updating the software components - as long as you're disciplined, take a backup beforehand and only update the stuff which absolutely needs to be updated.
- My machine has a well-spec'd PC and high end graphics card; anything else wouldn't be worth the hassle as I can imagine having loads of problems and needing to tweak table settings if you try to skimp here
- I might upgrade to a 4k setup at some point.

Do it. It's a great way to learn teh rules of loads of tables without taking loads of space. Until you fall in love with another one of those virtual tables and need to make it real...

CB

Interested to hear why you switch them off? I've only got flipper solenoids but would have thought additional ones would make it more immersive, like for the slings and pop bumpers?

I’ve got them all over the shop and whilst they impress folk with their realism, I find them a bit noisy and ott. Vibration may also take its toll on various other electronic components over time. The sound effects within vpx are perfectly adequate in my book, and can be volume controlled.

CB

Back
Top Bottom