What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video modes in pinball - opinions ?

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
I just uploaded some video of Tommy's video mode to youtube. Just for posterity, and also to show how *not* to make a pinball video mode ........ even I as a huge Tommy fan will admit its less than thrilling
biggrin-1.png

Its always the same, its p*ss easy, the scoring is pitiful on it so you dont really care anyway, and it doesn't even end properly really, just fizzles out like the designers couldn't care less - which is probably the case !

Anyway got me thinking ....what vid modes in games do people like or hate ?? Or do you care at all ???

Ones I like are

Dracula .....love shooting those wolves

Fish Tales .... just great, challenging, chance for extra ball

IJ ...........3 modes and I like em all

Lame ones include

Theatre Of Tragic .....lame zero gravity video pinball ...what ??

Johnny Mnemonic ....some sort of ZX81 game

Any where you just flail on the buttons like some flapping idiot seal .... LW3 or Creech.

Looks like Stern have given up on them. Think the last one was in Elvis. Was surprised they didn't put a 'Lightcycles' one into Tron, like the orig video game, would have been a nice touch I thought.

I always thought Tales From The Crypt's is a bit lame. There is no skill involved. Just pick a door and hope you get lucky. When playing a muliplayer game, you can end up getting zero points whilst your opponant lucks out and gets tens of millions!

Do like the guy hanging in the door way though!

Fintan Stack' date=' post: 1688541 said:
I always thought Tales From The Crypt's is a bit lame. There is no skill involved. Just pick a door and hope you get lucky. When playing a muliplayer game, you can end up getting zero points whilst your opponant lucks out and gets tens of millions!

Do like the guy hanging in the door way though!

Actually yeah there are a few games like that ....Congo has one where you choose caves to go thru, some you get points, some you die - utterly random and annoying !

I really like video modes. Granted some of them are easy and not that deep but it's something to break up game play and another feature to aim for. I enjoyed Dr Who's video mode and FT.

I'm awaiting delivery of Congo and can't wait to play it. Apparantly the boat control takes a bit of mastering on the video mode.

In short, my expectations of video modes are never high and it's something to do!!!

+1

FT is certainly the best video mode. Shoot all those waterskiiers and boats, and save enough shots back for the extra ball target. Don't miss with any of your shots and you collect a big fat bonus which really boosts up your score.

Elvis has a useless video mode where you just tap the flipper buttons in time to notes scrolling across the screen. I'm not too keen on the MM video mode of saving the children from the Falcons, what's that one all about?

Watching teachp8 and others play the video mode on the BSD tournament game at the Northern Lights show was awsome, slaughter those Wolves Mark!

Star Wars video mode is pants. You just watch it. It adds nothing at all!

Like the one in STTNG although it's not hard to master

T3 seems a bit pointless but at least it's short!

Never really got to grips with the minecart in IJ but the choose wisely bit is nice the first few times you see it.

Not really a video mode but shooting the raptor on the screen at the start of JP always kept me amused.

Love the gobbing into the spitoon on CP. JY has two out of three decent (maybe more) modes. Toast, shoot the spaceships & ,not so good, run from Spike.

Oh, I forgot about the storm troopers. What a nuisance that is. If you're lucky and you can get the ball on a flipper then it's trivial but otherwise it's an instant drain. Saying that I don't think you actually get anything or loose anything do you?

My vote for the most boring and pointless vid mode ever? Gotta be the ****ty motox jumps in No fear.....uber boring.

The best? I really like BSD, STTNG, and IJ's vid modes, but the best ever is 'copy cat' mode on CV. The difficulty of it just grabs me everytime.....

Dreads may say impossible, but I actually completed the first wave on JM on only the second time of playing it (first time I didn't know about the extra buttons for moving !)
biggrin-1.png
Some of the modes mentioned do improve/get better/tougher/whatever when you get to the second, third or higher level but many people never get the chance... can think of DW & BSD particular. :cool:

JM video mode is pretty challenging and pretty cool to get a extra ball.

Best have to be Black Rose swimming from the shark on level 3 and above near impossible.

D.

I TiltAlot' date=' post: 1688548 said:
+1

FT is certainly the best video mode. Shoot all those waterskiiers and boats, and save enough shots back for the extra ball target. Don't miss with any of your shots and you collect a big fat bonus which really boosts up your score.

Elvis has a useless video mode where you just tap the flipper buttons in time to notes scrolling across the screen. I'm not too keen on the MM video mode of saving the children from the Falcons, what's that one all about?

Watching teachp8 and others play the video mode on the BSD tournament game at the Northern Lights show was awsome, slaughter those Wolves Mark!

Love the wolves!! Gets bloody quick once you go through the levels - wait for the whites of the eyes and take them out. Still haven't got to the end of TS video mode (always get caned by the flying phurbas) and really didn't rate 'run from Spike' JY video mode much...

Update: JUST had the game of my life on TS - completed Final Battle - killed Khan - scored a shedload of points - Grand Champion - Shadow Loop Champion - I am fecking buzzing!!! Didn't manage to get past the first phurba on the video mode though - go figure...

You know what, I take it back, the speeder video mode on SW does add something. 10M points
smile-1.png
You stil just watch it though.

bartron' date=' post: 1688733 said:
Mark , do know that you can smart bomb the phurbas by squeezing the trigger on the gun
smile-1.png

Yep I do use that - it's just that on an otherwise stonking game I was outrageously crap at the video mode last night!!

Mark

I like AFM, FT, I500, Corvette, HS2 & LW3 (shooting range, not Riggs fight)

Not a fan of TOM, WWF, NF or Tommy!

Getaway driving mode is brill, followed by the wolves on BSD then the waterskiiers on FT. As for the robotron vid mode on JM, you can earn big points off it (200M per screen), the crosshair moves faster if you just tap the button and release it, best i've done is get to the third screen.

Does anybody know of a good video on YouTube or somewhere of the video mode in BSD with the wolves? I can't find one anywhere. (Yes I could record my own, but time is against me and need it as part of a press release)

This video has:

4m52 Level 1
10m50 Level 2
13m00 Level 3
15m36 Level 4
Thanks, much appreciated! I'm really looking for something quite closeup that somebody who has never seen it before can understand. I might have to record one myself, I just can't find anything.

As everyone else has said, the water-skiers on FT are brilliant!

I also quite like dodging the Phurbas on The Shadow.

Back
Top Bottom