What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vector - feeling the love

DRD

Registered
Vector is not a well rated game. I bought one as I loved the artwork and the sheer complexity of it (double backglasses, 9 drops, out lane saucers, 2 or 3 multiball, popper, more speech than any game of era, a fantastic timed shot for how quickly your ball travels over the main loop, in playfield display, 4 flippers, rollover ....)

And of the 9 drops, 6 of them have individual solenoid control so the game can reset them correctly when you have a multi player game

Being honest, my Vector and I have not had the smoothest or most loving of of relationships. I collected it in January this year (a stressful business as the game died during my inspection of it at the seller's house, he knew nothing about pinballs and thought I had knackered it) and from the start I never really hit it off with this game. The previous owner bought a cracking example but had done zero maintenance for two years so components were literally falling off the underside of the playfield - causing the short that killed it when I first tested it

But all that has changed. I am now a Vector fan and have joined the small band of brothers who think it is an underrated game. I have read reviews that said the game needed to be well tuned to be any good - and I now wholeheartedly agree

Firstly I got it working properly -

• 4 rebuilt linear flippers
  • 2 rebuilt slingshots
  • Replaced top flipper with original 2" one, put weaker coil on it as original is STUPIDLY powerful
  • Carefully adjusted EOS switches to stop the air balls vector is infamous for (the rebuilt lower left, upper left and upper right flippers all caused air balls)
  • Cleaned high voltage switches to make flippers more responsive
  • 9 rebuilt drops with new correct targets so the game looks so much sharper
  • Rebuilt popper, with lots of faffing adjusting the leaf spring
  • Adjusted the metal ramps
  • Cleaned and waxed it
  • Got the (mint) double back glasses nice and clean with all working bulbs
  • New sony speaker in the floor of the game to make vector's huge range of speech more clearly audible
  • Adjusted a metal ball guide so the "skill shot" actually meant something
  • Cleaned up all the solenoids so the 5 saucers were snappier
  • Adjusted one way gates so balls did not get stuck
  • Cleaned up the shooter mechanism and stretched the spring so it had enough oomph
  • Adjusted dip switch settings so hitting the upper defender drop targets in order means something (means you only need to knock three upper ones down and not the three lower ones before locking a ball)
  • Adjusted leaf springs so the slingshots are as responsive aś inefficient linear slingshots ever can be

A pinball friend came over a month ago and really enjoyed it, he asked me to sell it but as I had committed to taking it to NERG I said I wanted to give it a few more months

But it is having played a number of its peer group at the 8 bit flip and a midlands league meeting recently that really changed my opinion of it - gorgar, xenon, medusa, fathom, x's and 0's, future spa. I have had to enter the groove of a slower playing machine

And finally, twigging that hitting the targets on Vector in the right order (upper defenders and hype targets) rapidly accelerates your progress to both locking balls and to releasing 2 or 3 ball multiballs

People will vilify me, but of that list, I would only take fathom over it of the six games above

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Vector, i owned it for a few months. I was told it was the same one @Matt Adams used to own. Very under-rated game, the speech is AWESOME!
Thing is like my other older pins i used to dread turning them on as you never knew what was going to go wrong next.

Not feeling the love for Vector at all! :sad:

I remember playing the game when it was new in the early eighties. With those memories, I picked one up on Ebay a few years ago which had been stored in a garage for many years. It needed loads of work doing to it, and after finally getting it back working I just couldn't get on with it. It just felt soooo clunky and slow to me. :sad: :(

I took the game to the UKPP one year, and it sulked and decided not to work by shorting out a diode on a drop target coil.

I eventually sold it on the forum to Matt Adams, so will be the same one that you owned @Jumbosinbad360 :wave:

I think vector is solid 80s bally. Not in the same league as fathom or centaur but good enough . the ball tends to clank a lot off the metal ramps but the inifinity lights and speech calls are cool. Its very chatty for a 1982 machine. Though it said April showers at end of game when playing in the wild as a teenager and never worked out why. Pressing the test button on the square n talk on my first one cleared that up!

With the two outlane saucers, which award the bonus if you save the ball, this game is definitely a nudger's table.

And if you overdo it, you get a "penalty"

I'm a big fan of Vector, it talks *a lot* and has a lot of positives going for it, my only gripe really is the ball times are so short.

Of course that might be something to do with my standard of playing.....but I prefer to blame it on the relatively small size of the lower playfield!

:)

I like to tweak my tables to get them playing the way I like. Simply replacing the right hand post rubber near the right hand outline saucer has doubled the chances of bouncing the ball to safety. The new rubber might only be 0.5mm or 1.0mm thicker than the old one but it has made a big difference

Vector has a tight playfield so needs real care setting it up (setting the drops so when down they do not deflect the ball for instance) - but all of my small incremental improvements have made a cumulative big difference to how it plays overall. So I expect to get at least one multiball every game now - a common complaint is that folk can't achieve these.

In contrast to Vector, my Shadow and Addams Family needed virtually nothing doing to them. Really just getting the flipper strengths right. As for a Twilight Zone, that really is another dimension in terms of required adjustments.

Anyway, those going to NERG can give it a go to see whether I can restore Vector's reputation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 18
Have enjoyed re-reading this thread now I'm babysitting one (and own) one. I realise that nedrueds is set to always pop up the second row of defenders whatever order the first row are dropped but I've found that with a weak ball shoot out you can often take two targets down and with the top left flipper sometimes get all 3 with one flip. What is the skill shot supposed to be?

the ball tends to clank a lot off the metal ramps
That is probably my favourite feature of this game - stainless steel ramps are the way to go imo clank, clank, clank :)

I am looking forward to restoring mine at some point. I don't have any memory of playing the game before, so I hope it turns out that I like it.

If nothing else, it is visually impressive enough (with the double backglass and infinity lighting) for me to want to like it.

I like variety in my machines and it is certainly "different" enough to give it a place. I'll let you know how I get on with it :)

lovely game if you can get it working mine worked then stopped then worked
now not working would i sell no no no
love the older pins
even better some of the e.m's

I am reasonably close to you in case seeing another working vector would help you out at all.

I am reasonably close to you in case seeing another working vector would help you out at all.
Thanks for the offer.
I only got it about 4 hours ago and I've already got it booted, got the displays working and have speech working. Background sounds a bit hit and miss at the moment.
I'm hoping to have it playable by the end of the week.
That's when the real work starts, making it pretty (although it is very nice cosmetically, just needs a damn good clean).

I got a first glipse of mine on the weekend :)

It's setup "@Arv style" so I could only see the cab and the bottom half of the playfield at this point. I look forward to getting it setup in the future and fixing it up

One peculiar issue I noticed was that the right flippers work when the game is in attract mode.
Haven't seen that before although I am new to these early Bally SS games.

Back
Top Bottom