Valves... (Otherwise known as Vacuum tubes)

Paul

Staff member
Oct 5, 2012
Birmingham/Bristol
www.pinballinfo.com
Not these....

valve1.jpg

Or these....

valves1.jpg

But these....

vacuum tubes.jpg

I know we have a wealth of people and knowledge on here.... If anyone has any of these, or knows of any kicking about for sale at a reasonable price then please let me know.... happily open to job lots of various types etc (in fact preferred!) Even if the condition is not known (again, preferable!)....

Many thanks
Paul

OP
OP
Paul

Paul

Staff member
Oct 5, 2012
Birmingham/Bristol
www.pinballinfo.com
Thank you Jim... A little explanation is owed here :D

Picked myself up a Valve tester... After some valves of varying conditions to play and confirm it's all in working order :)

I know testers aren't the be-all and end-all... you can test something in a tester that tests good, however doesnt give good results in a set... but I want to be able to check and see if it's all working, and the only way i can see this is to get some valves and work through them :)

And, as we know.. in the olden days you can have what are labelled up as "NOS", however was swapped in the box at the time... so unless they have been in possession from new the condition isnt really known..

Plus also of course after any that anyone knows of kicking about to try to get a bit of a collection going :)

Jukeboxjim

Dec 11, 2016
Chesterfield
I can probably sort you some out and to be honest some are now becoming a good investment as certain valves can no longer be purchased.

Reactions: Paul

Pick Holder

Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2016
Midlands
Got rakes at my workshop. All taken out of guitar Amps I have retubed.

Valve testers are okay to check basics but your ears are the best testers.

Also my valve tester does not test microphonics.

Sometimes tapping with a pencil is the best way.

Reactions: Paul
OP
OP
Paul

Paul

Staff member
Oct 5, 2012
Birmingham/Bristol
www.pinballinfo.com
Got rakes at my workshop. All taken out of guitar Amps I have retubed.

Valve testers are okay to check basics but your ears are the best testers.

Also my valve tester does not test microphonics.

Sometimes tapping with a pencil is the best way.
Agreed... a tester doesnt necessarily 100% guarantee a good valve, especially where audio is concerned.. the only 100% is to place in circuit. However it can give a good idea (and also can Match valves which is useful in audio Amps as you would know) :D

Pick Holder

Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2016
Midlands
I never really use 'used' tubes. If you get a matching set (say a quad) - one can degrade quicker than the other if it is a different make/age etc.....

That is why I just rip them out and put new ones in.

But saying that - not a lot of new tubes are well made.....