What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Urgently Wanted, Teensy 3.2, 3.5 boards!! - Whirlwind/Indy owners will thank you

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
If you have any unused teensy 3.2 boards lying about collecting just dust i could really do with some. Also teensy 3.5 wanted.

I'm getting seriously ****ed off with the lead times on these things, everything just keeps getting moved backwards and preorders never materialise.

Please let me know urgently!! Thanks

I don't see the point in spending £1000s of coin on redesigning things to use another chip then for only that ****nig thing to go obsolete /unobatainum to. Total nightmare trying to keep development of products going and rpi4's are still ****ed to...

I'm moving to Mexico!!! ....

I don't see the point in spending £1000s of coin on redesigning things to use another chip then for only that ****nig thing to go obsolete /unobatainum to. Total nightmare trying to keep development of products going and rpi4's are still ****ed to...

I'm moving to Mexico!!! ....
I feel your pain, the MK20DX256VLH7 killed off pinDMD3 in its current form. But i am being realistic about it and that chip aint coming back any time soon :( You can only find so many and then your product will be obsolete as well :(

ESP32 looks like it's here to stay and appears to be the future for micros and for some reason (no idea why) not affected by supply chain issues. Certainly gonna be my chip or choice going forward. Or maybe the raspberry pi pico! I think will be another long term player.

I feel your pain, the MK20DX256VLH7 killed off pinDMD3 in its current form. But i am being realistic about it and that chip aint coming back any time soon :( You can only find so many and then your product will be obsolete as well :(

ESP32 looks like it's here to stay and appears to be the future for micros and for some reason (no idea why) not affected by supply chain issues. Certainly gonna be my chip or choice going forward. Or maybe the raspberry pi pico! I think will be another long term player.
Yeah i really did not think the chips in teensy's would be effected like this, if anything i expected it to be the esp32 that went awol, but then i didn't think we'd leave the eu either, so what do i know...

Just ****ing painful spending £1000's of developing complex hardware only to be side swiped by factors out of your control. I mean i can use other chips and it won't be a total redesign as the 3.2 is just for the control displays i make and supply of the chips in 3.5 seem to be moving again but i am just not at all confident another chip won't meet this type of supply problem in the future to. And i can't afford to keep developing for other ics every 2 years or so....

PICOs were my other thoughts to. But rPi has been massively effected by supply problems to so ....

P I T F A ....

Yeah i really did not think the chips in teensy's would be effected like this, if anything i expected it to be the esp32 that went awol, but then i didn't think we'd leave the eu either, so what do i know...

Just ****ing painful spending £1000's of developing complex hardware only to be side swiped by factors out of your control. I mean i can use other chips and it won't be a total redesign as the 3.2 is just for the control displays i make and supply of the chips in 3.5 seem to be moving again but i am just not at all confident another chip won't meet this type of supply problem in the future to. And i can't afford to keep developing for other ics every 2 years or so....

PICOs were my other thoughts to. But rPi has been massively effected by supply problems to so ....

P I T F A ....
I no it's a real pain. I am pretty sure the MK20DX256VLH7 is having issues because there parent company are focusing production on chips used in cars etc.. (more demand and profit etc..)

The EPS32 has a really good off the shelf HUB75 lib if your just needing it for those RGB dmd displays. Then you would just need to port over your coms code i guess?

Also talk to Raspberry pi foundation direct. They are good with looking after there manufacturing customers first (before distros) and you can get hold of large quantities of PI's directly from them.

Last edited:
@myPinballs

Iv found 1 spare 3.2 (some **** soldered to it but i can remove this) and I am almost certain my dad might have a couple more i'll ask in a bit. I also have a ton (like 10+ MK20DX256VLH7 microcontrollers but already soldered onto boards, if you can remove these and solder onto another board feel free to have them. I know your after the teensy 3.2 dev board it self. But its so simple you could probably make your own and then re solder then chips onto it building your own 3.2 carrier pcb basically. (i have all the BOM / pcb design files to make it work you can have)

Let me know :)

I no it's a real pain. I am pretty sure the MK20DX256VLH7 is having issues because there parent company are focusing production on chips used in cars etc.. (more demand and profit etc..)

The EPS32 has a really good off the shelf HUB75 lib if your just needing it for those RGB dmd displays. Then you would just need to port over your coms code i guess?

Also talk to Raspberry pi foundation direct. They are good with looking after there manufacturing customers first (before distros) and you can get hold of large quantities of PI's directly from them.
car manufacturing was and still is the supply issue for stern boards to so we are still not back to a normal supply chain andit looks like we never will be. I just don't believe that these ****ing esp32 chips are somehow except from all the std issues... like some sort of miracle chip i just don't believe it won't go tits up later

@myPinballs

Iv found 1 spare 3.2 (some **** soldered to it but i can remove this) and I am almost certain my dad might have a couple more i'll ask in a bit. I also have a ton (like 10+ MK20DX256VLH7 microcontrollers but already soldered onto boards, if you can remove these and solder onto another board feel free to have them. I know your after the teensy 3.2 dev board it self. But its so simple you could probably make your own and then re solder then chips onto it building your own 3.2 carrier pcb basically. (i have all the BOM / pcb design files to make it work you can have)

Let me know :)
Just want the std 3.2 boards, so if you have these then yes please

Yeah you gotta take faith in something and i'll go with what i can buy x5000 of today :) and not waiting another 2 years hehe. No idea why they are exempt from all these issues but they are so far :)

ok cool deffo got one, i'll try and hunt more down.

Yeah you gotta take faith in something and i'll go with what i can buy x5000 of today :) and not waiting another 2 years hehe. No idea why they are exempt from all these issues but they are so far :)

Thanks,

Yes that is the problem as i bought in bulk 3 years or so back and everything was rosey, but then you run out and you think no problem the lead time for the next lot isn't that long, then it get moved back and back and back and that's how you get int o a problem. believing lead times!!!

Thanks,

Yes that is the problem as i bought in bulk 3 years or so back and everything was rosey, but then you run out and you think no problem the lead time for the next lot isn't that long, then it get moved back and back and back and that's how you get int o a problem. believing lead times!!!
Yup I am in same board with pinDMD3 watching the MK20DX256VLH7 lead times and about a year ago i gave up as they just move every year. I really don't see them coming back before 25/26 maybe.

Any joy hunting these down? If I don’t get some soon orders are gonna be cancelled

Back
Top Bottom