What's new

urgent technical help please (trying to watch BBC from outside UK)

cooldan

i like pizza
i'd quite like to watch today's Wimbledon final at 2pm (9pm my time) but my laptop won't play it as it's detected that i'm not in the UK, and for the same reason neither will my iphone or borrowed ipad. i don't particularly like that Murray bloke, but i'd like to be able to choose to watch if it seems it's gonna be entertaining one way or another.

surely there's some workaround i can use to put it off the scent, make it think i'm in the UK?
cmon IT whizzes, help me out here :confused: otherwise i'll just have to keep refreshing every few minutes and follow the score that way.... which will obviously be totally bol_locks

sloth in a box.jpg

thank you in advance

I wouldn't bother - I can predict the result now.... The SCOT will loose (hopefully) - I have nothing against the scots at all, however after his comments about being Scottish and not British a few years ago.....

Easiest way would be to use a proxy to fool the Iplayer into thinking your in the UK as Ive said. The only problem you'll have is finding a proxy connection that is good enough to stream video over otherwise you'll just get errors or it buffering all the time. There are other options (some of which cost money) so check this link out.....

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/access-bbc-iplayer-online-video-internationally-free/

Cheers dude. I figured it wasn't gonna be easy so I bit the bullet and joined bet365, deposited a fiver and bet it on Djokovic. Now I have live streaming without all the crap.

I tried some other things first but all either hopeless quality, endless buffering, chock full of ads, or some other rubbish conditions. Hopefully all set now.

Cheers fellas

Can u not just disable the thing that detects your location

When you navigate to the Iplayer it reads the IP address of the device that your using to connect. If that IP isn't a UK based one then you can't watch. IP detection is built into the Iplayer code and isn't something you can disable (unless you want to have a go at hacking the BBC). You want to trick the Iplayer into by making it think your coming in from a UK based IP, hence using proxies etc. None of the solutions are that great though, especially if you want to stream video over the connection due to the amount of stable bandwidth it needs.

When you navigate to the Iplayer it reads the IP address of the device that your using to connect. If that IP isn't a UK based one then you can't watch. IP detection is built into the Iplayer code and isn't something you can disable (unless you want to have a go at hacking the BBC). You want to trick the Iplayer into by making it think your coming in from a UK based IP, hence using proxies etc. None of the solutions are that great though, especially if you want to stream video over the connection due to the amount of stable bandwidth it needs.

Oh right I didn't know I was just guessing

I use a proxy program called ccproxy from a few years ago, installed on my mate's firms accounts "always on" PC (6 year old Dell 1.8GHz) in the UK. Easy to set up on the UK PC and you tell your own PC to use it as a proxy in the Internet Explorer settings. I only switch it to the proxy occasionally for playing UK content, e.g. iPlayer catch-up etc. It doesn't use that much bandwidth, it's working fine on standard Plusnet business account, no buffering apart from a few seconds at startup. I've also used it on a standard Plusnet residential account, same again, works fine.

No, I'm not telling you the proxy address, it's locked to my PC and its IP anyway ;-)

The security in iPlayer was pretty good and needed to be to protect the BBC's assets to the world audience. I use to run my own proxy to do these things but ended up deciding to enjoy the break from the internet as best as possible. Having just returned from my honeymoon, I found it is quite nice to not be "on top of things" for a week or two.
Now to catch up on this web site. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom