What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultrasonic Cleaners

Can someone tell me what liquid you should use in these for cleaning plastics/metal? Thanks
Been reading around and there seems to be a consensus that you fill the tank with de-ionised water and put the parts in a container (zippy freezer bag for instance) with a small amount of the cleaning solution in the bag and put that into the tank. Saves on Cleaning solution and keeps the residue out of the tank.
There seems to be a cleaning solution for each particular application (see alendale website for a selection) and there’s a few how to videos around too.
I’m sure someone who’s been using one for a while will chip in with some tips.

Been reading around and there seems to be a consensus that you fill the tank with de-ionised water and put the parts in a container (zippy freezer bag for instance) with a small amount of the cleaning solution in the bag and put that into the tank. Saves on Cleaning solution and keeps the residue out of the tank.
There seems to be a cleaning solution for each particular application (see alendale website for a selection) and there’s a few how to videos around too.
I’m sure someone who’s been using one for a while will chip in with some tips.
Thanks for that, very useful.

Can someone tell me what liquid you should use in these for cleaning plastics/metal? Thanks

Keith Withnall who restores Zaccaria pinballs offered me this advice during a chat about this, I'm sure that he will not mind it being shared:

"For cleaning boards I normally remove any relays or switches and remove any socketed devices. I fill the ultrasonic tank with about 100ml of this degreaser
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concentr...094447?hash=item2343f6aaef:g:DnAAAOSwmhJZt-1H
and 6 litres of warm water (50C). Set the heater to 50C, the ultrasonic to about 50% and run for about 5 minutes. Turn the board over if only half will fit in my tank and repeat. You will lose any paper serial number labels on the boards. I find that degreaser a lot more effective and easier to wash off than washing up liquid which a lot of folks recommend.

I wash the board thoroughly then with warm tapwater and a brush, shake off the excess and then dry the board thoroughly with a compressed air jet and leave for a hour or two somewhere warm before refitting any removed parts and testing.

As I mentioned it isn’t a good idea to put the gas plasma displays in the ultrasonic.

I use it the same way on all the mechanical parts too, but avoid putting in screen printed parts such as drop targets or pop bumper plastics unless you want to remove the paint!

It’s great for small plastics like the retaining nuts/rubbers for the playfield plastics. If you start with the cleaner parts and work towards the dirtier ones you can put a lot of parts through before renewing the tank fill."

Hope this helps, I would suggest that after washing as a step before drying a good spray with IPA would chase out a lot of water from the various nooks and crannies.

Mark (Dr. Pinball)

They have arrived!

Attachments

• IMG_4871.JPG
    IMG_4871.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4870.JPG
    IMG_4870.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4869.JPG
    IMG_4869.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 52
Arrived safe and sound. Unpacked, filled and tested, working perfectly. Thanks very much for organising this. That 10L is a very useful size.

thanks again
Bob

It's fine, I ordered one this morning direct from Alibaba. Will be here in 5 days.

I learned not to rely on other people a long time ago.

It's fine, I ordered one this morning direct from Alibaba. Will be here in 5 days.

I learned not to rely on other people a long time ago.

@PeteB please send the name of the supplier, 5 days is fast and I need a couple more for a friend. I bring a lot of stuff from China mainly videowall panels but everything is taking an age at the moment. I paid to air freight 100sq m of video wall 10 days ago and while it left China in a timely manor it has been stuck at UK customs for the last 4 days!

Back
Top Bottom