What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKCS

I'll invite the local school round to the next event, that'll be the same as beating 100 players at The UK Open.

utter nonsense - the event has to be open to any attendees so there is more chance of millwall winning the EPL than this happening.

Or winning a comp with only 20 people would award the same pts as winning a comp with 100 people.

so for every event I’m going to get 20 random people off the street to play.

a win is a win. you have beaten the other players. so far none of the UKCS events have had less than 30 people.

I can go on.

you need to because those reasons above don‘t stand up to scrutiny.

To qualify for the finals held at Daventry, you need to have competed around the country first - it is not a stand alone event at Pinfest.

it should be counted in the same way.

I can think of numerous ways the system can be abused if the IFPA average wasn't used.

there are always way to abuse any system.

Many different formats were ran through with the numbers from previous years - without fail the weekends with multiple events had more influence on results than anything else.
of course they should! the clue is in the more events! so our 4 days of 20 rounds of matchplay at PBR for the monster meet is going to weigh heavily! we might do finals the next day for each of them make them certified and boom!

As Greg said, half of the people who would have made the final last year if we had used every event would only have competed over a single weekend - noone who didn't play at The UK Open would have made the finals - not exactly a true representation of a SERIES comprising at least 35 events (the number Greg went to)

if you do count back that issue is moot.

The other thing to note is the vast majority of formats came up with 17/18 of the same final qualifiers.

And this is one of the many reasons I have left competitive pinball behind...

Too many points farming, arguing what should be worth more...

Its all BS
Totally this, I retired after seeing the amount of cheating, points whoring and destroying of fun comps just for WPPR, then it turning into late night poker/ multi day events so that you have to add in accommodation. The only remaining comps I do is the league (family orientated still), Swavesey (no one cares about results) and the Christmas Cracker (well, I originated it!).

Totally this, I retired after seeing the amount of cheating, points whoring and destroying of fun comps just for WPPR, then it turning into late night poker/ multi day events so that you have to add in accommodation. The only remaining comps I do is the league (family orientated still), Swavesey (no one cares about results) and the Christmas Cracker (well, I originated it!).
Or changing 'randomly selected' games to whatever you feel like when you see the groups drawn.
First time I'd seen such blatant manipulation!

I'll chuck one in the back of the car. Either my Castlevania retheme if it's done or Lucky Strike if not.

Or changing 'randomly selected' games to whatever you feel like when you see the groups drawn.
First time I'd seen such blatant manipulation!
Happened at lille. They had all the club members play a game and then pulled it so no one could beat them.

I think all I'd add is that where possible there should be a simple set of published rules which are sent out well before any events take place and that all series events events should have had their dates published before the series commences.

If you do that, then anyone can arrange their schedule around the events they want to attend with full knowledge of what events are on and with a reasonable idea of the points available and whilst they may not agree with the methods/formula, everyone has equal chance to make it to whatever rounds they want.

The issue comes if rules get changed or events get added/moved after the overall series has started - then you'll always get complaints.

I think all I'd add is that where possible there should be a simple set of published rules which are sent out well before any events take place and that all series events events should have had their dates published before the series commences.

If you do that, then anyone can arrange their schedule around the events they want to attend with full knowledge of what events are on and with a reasonable idea of the points available and whilst they may not agree with the methods/formula, everyone has equal chance to make it to whatever rounds they want.

The issue comes if rules get changed or events get added/moved after the overall series has started - then you'll always get complaints.
It is definitely the plan that the schedule is published as far in advance as possible.

This year it was only found out very late that nobody else was running the UKCS, or that there wouldn't be a final based on last year's standings - despite discussions taking place from October - no blame just a fact.

I can only only publish dates of comps once the individual organiser has submitted them to the IFPA calendar.
I published a list of proposed venues and dates, as soon as it was clear I'd be running this, along with contacting each of the organisers, but the proposed events still haven't been added to the IFPA calendar for confirmation - again no blame just facts.

The same goes for the final venue and dates.
Trust me, as soo as details are available and confirmed they are published here.

Likewise with changes. I don't forsee any changes being made to the rules for this year, or the next. But it may be that minor tweaks are necessary for any number of reasons.

I'd also like to make clear (although many know this already) that this isn't me making decisions based on a whim. They have all been discussed with a number of people, all of whose views I respect, even if I don't agree with, as experienced TDs and event organisers.

I have no interest in running a SERIES which consists of the same format of comps being churned out over and over, nor being in the same repeated venues. I would love to be able to add more new venues next year including Ireland and Scotland, but it does need people to put in a lot of effort themselves to run such a comp - to commit so far in advance is also a challenge. One thing that is guaranteed to put potential organisers off is seeing criticism from 'armchair organisers'.

Anybody who would like to know more about running a comp, ask any questions or even seek assistance knows that they can contact me and I will be able to offer any assistance and either help them run the comp on the day, or put them in touch with someone who can.

oh if you mean at mine Wayne - I have a hack to matchplay that distributes players across the different games so they are spaced out and so that games outside of the shed are always used (if you look closely at events at matchplay you'll see how some of its done), occasionally though the matchplay algorithm gets confused by it and you get a error "No more choices" and then it needs to be done manually.

Cheers,
Neil.

In this case, why not widen the field then? Make it top 64 like they do in Germany, that way if those top players who come to the UK Open and do well, from other countries, want to travel for the UKCS, they can. But UK players don't lose out and they get to play some of the best in Europe. Just like the GCS. It makes the UKCS finals worth something, with the 150% boost that it gets.

Wayne have you thought about this? I know it's not all about the points (I mean that, it really isn't) but it seems a bit strange to limit the field so much when the IFPA are handing out a massive boost for the finals of the country championship series. Hungary are a smaller country than us in regards to their competitive status, but look at there Championship Series finals

It just seems like a good opportunity to add some gravitas and pull to the UKCS rather than being just another 20-30 point competition

I know it's not all about the points (I mean that, it really isn't)
:rofl:, or is it about the prize money which although currently unknown - is going to be far superior to any other comp you don't need to pay entry for, and higher than all but 3 or 4 comps in the UK.
but it seems a bit strange to limit the field so much when the IFPA are handing out a massive boost for the finals of the country championship series. Hungary are a smaller country than us in regards to their competitive status, but look at there Championship Series finals
As opposed to all of the NACS finals which limit the finals to as few as 16 players in some states, and have a TGP of 88% awarding under 20 WPPR Pts?

It just seems like a good opportunity to add some gravitas and pull to the UKCS rather than being just another 20-30 point competition
When it was previously ran by yourself with the ladder format you could be out after just 2 games, get under 1 WPPR pt for finishing 10th and 12 pts for winning?
With the vast majority of people qualifying not even bothering to attend. I don't think that was a trial that worked.

There are minimal venues which can run an event over 2 days and the amount of machines needed to be IFPA certified and get the additional 200% boost as the Hungarian finals did, which kind of defeats the object of the finals moving around the country each year.

I try and make a point of not criticising or 'offering unsolicited suggestions' to other people's comps - knowing how much time and effort they put in to the running and organising of such comps. ;)

I try and make a point of not criticising or 'offering unsolicited suggestions' to other people's comps - knowing how much time and effort they put in to the running and organising of such comps. ;)

i think we would do the same if effort and time and most importantly thinking had gone into the UKCS.

i think we would do the same if effort and time and most importantly thinking had gone into the UKCS.
@Neil McRae for someone who seems only to attend comps at PBR or yours in this country - has not attended a single League meet this year, has his nose put out of joint by being told a few home truths after Pinfest last year - who has admitted to manually changing machines pre-allocated by software (with a somewhat dubious excuse which had never been mentioned previously until you were pulled up on it), has said that he isn't going to comment further - you certainly have a great deal to say for yourself.

I'm sure you already know, but to make it clear my value of your opinions on stuff I do couldn't be any more negligible if it was written in Swahili .

You try and come across as 'the voice of the people', even quoting 'we' in your responses - there are far more people who see exactly the kind of troll you are.

Personal attack
@Neil McRae for someone who seems only to attend comps at PBR or yours in this country

100% becauae of your total ineptness for creating anything that is slightly interesting. the two biggest national events being worth absolutely **** all from an IFPA point of view and your own hypocrisy of being the IFPA country director whilst slagging off the IFPA at every opportunity you get - home Truth - you‘re a washed up fool.

- has not attended a single League meet this year, has his nose put out of joint by being told a few home truths after Pinfest last year -

home truths LOL - here is a reality check for you Wayne - at the club last night we were super disappointed by the farce of the UKCS and many members asked me why is it so **** - so because of that we are changing to league format which will reduce the money that the UKCS gets significantly.

who has admitted to manually changing machines pre-allocated by software (with a somewhat dubious excuse which had never been mentioned previously until you were pulled up on it),

uhh the machines aren’t pre-allocated that’s the issue Wayne And it’s something I’m documenting for Andreas as it also happened at the club during our 1010 tournament.

has said that he isn't going to comment further - you certainly have a great deal to say for yourself.

I’m sadly disappointed that to play in decent events I have no choice but to head out of the country I’m fortunate to be able to do that others not so lucky.

You try and come across as 'the voice of the people', even quoting 'we' in your responses - there are far more people who see exactly the kind of troll you are.

Well that wasn’t the discussion at the club last night but you keep taking that feedback you ask for and keep believing your own bull****!

EDIT - Warning points issued for minor Personal attack at the last part of the first paragraph- ADMIN

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it seems clear that PBR wouldn't want to host the finals then and the money that would involve coming to the club?

I’ll do an hours over time and donate it to the club - that should cover it.

uhh the machines aren’t pre-allocated that’s the issue Wayne And it’s something I’m documenting for Andreas as it also happened at the club during our 1010 tourname

Is this similar to the issue when you have separate banks to eliminate congestion and it can sometimes double allocate one arena?
If so, can confirm.
We've used the method to make sure games are spread out at the pinball office and at home.

This is all very sad.

A lot of people give up a huge amount of their free time for this niche community. And have done so for many many years.

There is no chance of keeping everyone happy.

The slating and personal attacks is disgraceful. Some people need to take a step back from the keyboard. Shameful.

I’ll do an hours over time and donate it to the club - that should cover it.
Neil, that would be great. I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but you let slip that you get paid a lot. It would be a fantastic contribution to the hobby. Well done you! Thank you for the generosity. Good stuff.

Neil, that would be great. I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but you let slip that you get paid a lot. It would be a fantastic contribution to the hobby. Well done you! Thank you for the generosity. Good stuff.
I think it he was being sarcastic but you'll have to wait until his 6 month ban runs out before he can answer.

I think it he was being sarcastic but you'll have to wait until his 6 month ban runs out before he can answer.
😉 Well, he said "I'll do an hour's overtime and donate it to the club". Sounds like a clear commitment to me, and I'm sure he considers himself to be a man of his word.

He can read this and update us in 6 months.

[For Neil: as the great sage once said: "it's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind".]

Last edited:
The results from Medway comp last weekend are up on the IFPA website, so have now been incorporated in to the standings (post 3 on pg 1 of this thread).

Currently 6 people have attended every comp so far, will they manage to attend everyone this year?

Next comp in the Series is at the Pinball Office on June 25th, hosted and organised by @Hiltoncriss and @Lecari

Attachments

• ukcs.xlsx
    44.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom