What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Show Pins 2013

Moonraker

Site Supporter
Okay, so I've surveyed the pledged pin list for the show and have emailed everyone (*deleted*) about their pins, what's going (if TBA) and if they're happy for their pins to be used in various competitions over the weekend or not.

Out of the 101 pins pledged for the weekend we have:

Yes, can be used for competitions: 11

No, can not be used for competitions: 5

Unknown: 85

Well that should make show planning really easy then.... :oops:

Anyone got any suggestions?

Anyone else planning to take a pin but are not on the list?
List can be found here http://ukpinball.wetpaint.com/page/2013 UK Pinball Party Tables

Why now? Well it's only a 3 weeks away and I don't like leaving things to the last minute but that looks like it will most definately be the case here.... :(

With respect Peter, I have NEVER been asked if my pins can be used for your competition. What I object to is them being taken off the main floor on the Sunday morning with no discussion or prior agreement.

In fact Martin asked me last year to contribute a machine, to which I agreed. It wasn't actually used.

Why didn't you email me with everyone else. I still could have said No, but you may have been surprised.

Andy

In case you aren't already aware, I'm unable to attend on the Sunday now and so cannot bring the additional 3 with Andy (7th down on the list). Sorry !

Andy may well be bringing more of his own to make up the 10 pledged but you'll need to confirm with him. Hopefully, he's already mentioned this and sorry again to pull my three out.

John.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I'd suggest trying to pick out 100% non-trophy pins - the majority of tournament players will have enjoyed the trophy games before, and it's a big disappointment for the non-competition players when they can see all the 'better' pins, but they're unavailable to use. Personally I'm going to Replay this year instead of the Pinball Party (and lending them a pin), simply because of this reason.

I'd suggest trying to pick out 100% non-trophy pins - the majority of tournament players will have enjoyed the trophy games before, and it's a big disappointment for the non-competition players when they can see all the 'better' pins, but they're unavailable to use. Personally I'm going to Replay this year instead of the Pinball Party (and lending them a pin), simply because of this reason.

This is the reason I entered the competition this year

I suggest picking them completely at Random out of a hat... thats the fairest way.... that way you could end up with a wreck of a machine there which is great as it provides a level playing field for all.. :)

Reactions: Arv
Sorry Andy - I've modified the post here and have sent you a PM. I'm very good at getting hold of the wrong end of the stick... :oops:

Thanks for the update John, I haven't heard anything from Andy F.

JT - talking of major titles, the show floor already has a Tron LE and an ACDC Premium that won't be available for competitions.

If titles do double up then I will try and have one in the competition and one for the show floor. This is already the case for another "top" title.

Carl - re the TZ's. IIRC that was part of a special show feature and doesn't normally happen.

Paul - I like the idea but competition machines do need to be at a certain standard - ie all the switches work and fitted with a working tilt bob. Plus people travel great distances so you need to have something to make that worth their while...!

Paul - I like the idea but competition machines do need to be at a certain standard - ie all the switches work and fitted with a working tilt bob. Plus people travel great distances so you need to have something to make that worth their while...!

and the people who just come in to play don't have to travel ... ?

Perhaps it might be useful to list the pins scheduled to be used in the different competitions for the Fri, Sat and Sun? That way, if people are only coming for one day, they will able to plan accordingly. Just a suggestion but it will alleviate the 'I only came to play 'x' and it was in the competition on the day I was there.' comments afterwards.

Would knowing the machines to be used give an advantage to players in the tournaments? Possibly, but that could be weighed against dissatisfied customers I expect. Although, machines in league meets are generally known beforehand. There may well be a rule against it for IFPA - who knows? Anyway, I am waffling now. Looking forward to the Party immensely and big thanks go to all involved in the organisation of the different comps, however it all pans out, they're great fun. Cheers.

It's more a case of time or rather lack of... I'm happy to let people know the machines in advance but we need to confirm them first...

It's more a case of time or rather lack of... I'm happy to let people know the machines in advance but we need to confirm them first...

In the past we've never released the names of the games in advance, to avoid people practicing specific games beforehand.

Every year mostly the same old questions and comments come up, often from people who've only been to one show and don't know the drill, or who are newbies.

If you want to chew over all of these issues regarding running tournaments at a show, have a look here and here, it's all been discussed before and it might answer some of your questions:
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/pinball-party-thoughts.440/

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/party-uk-open-poll.441/

If, after reading all that, you've got some good NEW ideas and feedback, then I'm sure the tournament team will be grateful to receive. o_O

Back
Top Bottom