What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Pinfest 2024 Open Competition - Planning

You can be pretty sure if it's a nob head decision then it's probably me

Daventry has always been an amazing show, but (from my admittedly biased point of view) one of the most complained things over the last few years was that the comp just didn't meet expectation for such a massive show. We're trying to make this aspect of the show much more worthwhile for some of the people that visit from Europe and beyond, though I do appreciate this year in particular it might have a detrimental impact on the other side of the show. We're all just trying our best to move the show forward, so if after this years show you (or anyone) still feels strongly about it then for sure it will be taken into consideration for next year, same as always.

Just give us a chance though. Happy to take PMs on the subject too
Go for it Paul - you can't find out if things work without trying them.

You can be pretty sure if it's a nob head decision then it's probably me

Daventry has always been an amazing show, but (from my admittedly biased point of view) one of the most complained things over the last few years was that the comp just didn't meet expectation for such a massive show. We're trying to make this aspect of the show much more worthwhile for some of the people that visit from Europe and beyond, though I do appreciate this year in particular it might have a detrimental impact on the other side of the show. We're all just trying our best to move the show forward, so if after this years show you (or anyone) still feels strongly about it then for sure it will be taken into consideration for next year, same as always.

Just give us a chance though. Happy to take PMs on the subject too
People will always have a different of opinion on this Paul as me and many others have zero interest in comps but many people do
But to exclude the comp pins in the main room for the Friday night vip session is a little bit unfair I always thought pinfest was for the pinball masses but now seems it being pushed to just another big comp weekend
For me the Friday night was the highlight of the weekend a little bit quieter and more of a relaxed session as a thank you to people that have driven many hours and taken the time to set up all the pins not just for the comp player who just rocks up to play
I also think it’s going to get very congested when the entrance we use to bring in the pins to set up is straight on to the comp area
I also think it’s unfair when people are grafting setting up for hours yet the casual comp player rocks up plays and makes zero contribution to the show

I also think it’s unfair when people are grafting setting up for hours yet the casual comp player rocks up plays and makes zero contribution to the show

That's no different to previous years. Comp players will play the bank Fri night, like they always have, just this time they'll be paying.
If they're bringing games they'll be setting them up.
Playing the comp is making a contribution to the show.

That's no different to previous years. Comp players will play the bank Fri night, like they always have, just this time they'll be paying.
If they're bringing games they'll be setting them up.
Playing the comp is making a contribution to the show.

@CHRIS B PINBALLS is talking about @Wizcat mentioned comp start Friday AM when usually this setup time...

I can see his point its a little unfair people slaving away setting up while people are coming in and playing the machines...

Personally I think its a massive health and safety concern and a proper risk assessment needs to be carried out... If a child happened to be in the room and they accidentally knocks a machine being setup while on a leg it could crush them. @Big Phil will have to address that.

I can also see @Wizcatpoint of listening to feedback and adapting and progressing the comp at Pinfest... Its an important aspect of any show in 2024 and even more so going forward... Your not always going to get it right first time but its about learning and changing along the way

Well at least it means people not interested in tournament play can save two nights stay, and just do Saturday and Sunday and a normal ticket. Makes Pinfest a lot cheaper I suppose 😀

What a kerfuffle!

We're talking about ten machines here. There are 100 other machines to play. In fact, these ten machines are only available for "free play" for four hours. And even then, they're generally hogged by those practising for the comp. I honestly don't see the problem.

Regarding the comp running and people playing whilst the rest of the hall is being set up. Again, I don't see a problem. Donors are bringing machines in and setting them up as usual. If the comp wasn't running, the players would probably be in the bar or still driving to the hotel. The only machines being played during setup are the comp machines. And that's the competition running. Not free play. What bothers me more is people getting smashed and having a laugh whilst we're running around like headless chickens getting the room ready. I want to be getting smashed!

I've already informed the rest of the smurfs about the new plans this year and their only concern, rightly, is health and safety which Kirk has touched on.

We're going to create a walking route down the left hand side of the room (past the bar) for safe passage. The comp area will be barriered as usual. This has been the biggest talking point amongst us. Safety is the top priority.

The point about holding the comp outside of the main room. There is no other room quite big enough for machines, organisers, streaming equipment, spectators.

We've actually taken on two smaller rooms this year which we can use for headless pins. This gives us the option for even more pins at the whole event or a bit more space in the main room. All depends on donations.

I would write a reply but it would only be negative, so I will look forward to seeing friends and enjoying the show

Back
Top Bottom