What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Pinfest 2024 Open Competition - Planning

Wizcat

Registered
Alias
Paul G
Hey all. Just a heads up that for this years 2024 Pinfest Open comp we're planning a few changes that might need some cooperation from the already very generous people that are bringing machines. If you're bringing machines and interested in helping support our competition plans, then please let either Wayne or myself know.

Broadly - we're hoping to make it a full three day event. That means -
- Competition starts Friday am
- Qualifying runs all day (and into the evening) Friday through to Saturday evening.
- Qualification tickets move from three to FIVE games per ticket.
- Finals start Sunday am with a more thorough format.

Since we'll have five games per ticket, we'd also like to extend the competition bank up from 10 to at least 12 machines. Maybe more? This all very much depends on overall pin donation numbers, and (for the comp particularly) what machines will be available by Thursday night

These changes will bring the competition more inline with other globally recognised competition formats. For the hardcore competition players it means more WPPRs will be awarded. It also hopefully makes it more attractive to foreign competitors.

But like I say. This all very much depends on pin donors. Are you coming Thursday? Are you ok with us using your machines in the comp? Hopefully you're sticking around to the bitter end on Sunday?

Please get in touch!

There Thurs-Sun and happy to allow any of our games to be used, if there's one you fancy that we've not put as a donation already we're happy to bring it especially 😄

"- Finals start Sunday am with a more thorough format"

You're going to clash with the Classics finals.

Hey all. Just a heads up that for this years 2024 Pinfest Open comp we're planning a few changes that might need some cooperation from the already very generous people that are bringing machines. If you're bringing machines and interested in helping support our competition plans, then please let either Wayne or myself know.

Broadly - we're hoping to make it a full three day event. That means -
- Competition starts Friday am
- Qualifying runs all day (and into the evening) Friday through to Saturday evening.
- Qualification tickets move from three to FIVE games per ticket.
- Finals start Sunday am with a more thorough format.

Since we'll have five games per ticket, we'd also like to extend the competition bank up from 10 to at least 12 machines. Maybe more? This all very much depends on overall pin donation numbers, and (for the comp particularly) what machines will be available by Thursday night

These changes will bring the competition more inline with other globally recognised competition formats. For the hardcore competition players it means more WPPRs will be awarded. It also hopefully makes it more attractive to foreign competitors.

But like I say. This all very much depends on pin donors. Are you coming Thursday? Are you ok with us using your machines in the comp? Hopefully you're sticking around to the bitter end on Sunday?

Please get in touch!
Fantastic news, thank you for all the hard work and planning that goes into this, we all really appreciate it

Is the main comp being held in a different room? Dont think it would be a good idea trying to run it in the main hall during the Friday when we're still setting up.

Is the main comp being held in a different room? Dont think it would be a good idea trying to run it in the main hall during the Friday when we're still setting up.

Shouldn't be a problem. It has been fantasised about the last couple of years. We've got those room dividers too that might help

Just a quick note to confirm that we are going ahead with this, broadly as planned.

PAPA style 'unlimited best game', with 20 hours of qualifying and 5 game cards.
Top 24 qualify for finals, with top 8 receiving a bye past the first round.

Finals is then all in groups of four, best of three games, with top two proceeding in each round.

Our schedule looks like:

FRIDAY QUALIFYING: 10am-6pm, then 7pm-11pm
SATURDAY QUALIFYING: 10am-6pm
SATURDAY PLAYOFFS: 7pm (Group of '24' followed by Group of 16)
SUNDAY FINALS: 2pm (Group of 8 followed by final group of 4)

Thanks to @roadshow16 for crunching some numbers and estimating that we're looking at this years comp being IFPA Certified, 184% WPPRs, plus at least 25% or maybe 50% if we can enough certified players. Over 100 WPPRs for first place if we only have a similar field to last year, hopefully more.

Huge thanks to all those that have reached out to offer pin donations. We'll be back in touch as things get closer.

Massive thanks also to Craig (and anyone else) for helping let the Europeans know that we're getting serious over here :)

Last edited:
Great news, fantastic to see how this gad grown. Will be changing my hotel booking to include the Thursday also now. Happy for any of mine to be used if it helps provided that people will treat them with respect.

Just a quick note to confirm that we are going ahead with this, broadly as planned.

PAPA style 'unlimited best game', with 20 hours of qualifying and 5 game cards.
Top 24 qualify for finals, with top 8 receiving a bye past the first round.

Finals is then all in groups of four, best of three games, with top two proceeding in each round.

Our schedule looks like:

FRIDAY QUALIFYING: 10am-6pm, then 7pm-11pm
SATURDAY QUALIFYING: 10am-6pm
SATURDAY PLAYOFFS: 7pm (Group of '24' followed by Group of 16)
SUNDAY FINALS: 2pm (Group of 8 followed by final group of 4)

Thanks to @roadshow16 for crunching some numbers and estimating that we're looking at this years comp being IFPA Certified, 184% WPPRs, plus at least 25% or maybe 50% if we can enough certified players. Over 100 WPPRs for first place if we only have a similar field to last year, hopefully more.

Huge thanks to all those that have reached out to offer pin donations. We'll be back in touch as things get closer.

Massive thanks also to Craig (and anyone else) for helping let the Europeans know that we're getting serious over here :)
Hi,

I’m looking at whether I’ll be able to make it but realistically I can probably only make the Friday, if at all. Will there be an option for a Friday only ticket on Eventbrite or will those sessions only be open to VIP ticket holders?

I have no chance of making top 24 so not being there on Saturday isn’t an issue for me!

Thanks,

Simon

The Friday night is the ViP session, it's only the competition machines available during the day on Friday.
Thanks, that’s what I’m looking for - appreciate the rest of the show won’t be set up but just wanted to check if I could come and get a card or two done during the Friday day session.

Now to see if I can make the timings work!

Does the above timetable mean competition games will not be available at any time for general use ?

Does the above timetable mean competition games will not be available at any time for general use ?

That's right Tony. This year the Open comp games are exclusively comp games. Anyone welcome to join the comp of course, and we're probably keeping the same prices as last year even though we're extending that price to 5 game tickets. (And of course scorekeepers will be gifted free tickets for their help). More details to follow

Who made that decision ?
(It’s ok, see from above you and Wayne )

Thanks for the info

Last edited:
Who made that nob head decision one of the most complained about thing over the years has been people saying they where not able to play a certain game as it was in the comp
But the worst thing for me is that the grafters who are having to set up on a already pretty hectic Friday with people and van constantly in and out while the comp guys just play away absolutely stupid decision to me

Yep, something new is happening, it's different and trying to be something bigger and better. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but the effort in my opinion should be applauded. Inevitably there has to be some compromise when trying something like this and I know that people don't like change. But you have to try.

In terms of who is deciding all of this, the organisers of course, the people who are putting in countless hours of time and effort to try and make it as enjoyable an experience as possible for all the people at the show who enjoy our hobby for many different reasons.

In terms of the machines in use in the comp, I know the organisers have worked very hard in the past to try and use games that have duplicates out on the floor for general public, but sometimes that's impossible. Also the owners of specific machines (let's say Pulp and Bond 60th) may only want the machines coming to show if they are solely used in the competition. So the argument there is, would you rather have the machine at the show which you can play for £1 (plus entry fee to the comp), or not have it at the show at all?

Personally I am grateful for everything that everyone does, the driving, the lifting, the electrics, the charity efforts, the tournaments, the setting up, the breaking down, the organising, the personal money, time and effort of making something that is so much bigger than ones self for us all to enjoy.

I trust the organisers and trust that they are trying to do the best that they can, trying to cater to a varied large group of people who all attend the event for different reasons

In Pinfest we Trust 😊

Roadshow, Creech, Viking, Diner, STTNG, sexy OG AFM, WCS/DOGBALL !

Go on :excited😂

I've forgotten what else we have

Last edited:
Who made that nob head decision one of the most complained about thing over the years has been people saying they where not able to play a certain game as it was in the comp
But the worst thing for me is that the grafters who are having to set up on a already pretty hectic Friday with people and van constantly in and out while the comp guys just play away absolutely stupid decision to me

You can be pretty sure if it's a nob head decision then it's probably me

Daventry has always been an amazing show, but (from my admittedly biased point of view) one of the most complained things over the last few years was that the comp just didn't meet expectation for such a massive show. We're trying to make this aspect of the show much more worthwhile for some of the people that visit from Europe and beyond, though I do appreciate this year in particular it might have a detrimental impact on the other side of the show. We're all just trying our best to move the show forward, so if after this years show you (or anyone) still feels strongly about it then for sure it will be taken into consideration for next year, same as always.

Just give us a chance though. Happy to take PMs on the subject too

Back
Top Bottom