What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TZ Door Flasher Mod

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Posted elsewhere......

I wanted to install the door flashers to my TZ, it was apparently removed from production due to cost factors. It doesn't change the game but does add a little sparkle to the door area of the playfield. I definitely would not pay the $35USD? Plus postage for a kit but seeing this cost me absolutely nothing I think it was worth the effort.

I searched around the net but could not any info on a DIY door flasher mod so I thought I’d have a go and share my results with everyone here

All you need is:
Two black globe sockets
Two #906 Flash bulbs
Four #6 x 3/8” screws
Three wires
16mm MDF (the thickness is important as it sets the clearance between the playfield insert and the globe, it can be slightly thicker but no thiner)

You need to cut a 16mm thick piece of MDF 70mm wide x 30mm high

Drill two 5/8” holes as shown in the diagram and 4 pilot holes for your #6 mounting screws

Push through your two globe sockets

Remove door lamp PCB from under playfield

Mount your flashers through the pre existing holes using your #6 screws

Find the wiring loom that controls #20 Upper left ramp and #41 Upper right ramp flashers (it is located in the very bottom right corner of the raised playfield).

You need to wire your flashers in parallel with these flashers. Left flasher needs to go to Black-Yellow, Right flasher to Green-White and one extra wire needs to supply you +20v to the flashers which are the two red wires going into the connector

There are a few ways you could tap into these wires the best method is to slide the pins out of the connector and re-crimp connector with your new wires, you could also slide back some insulation near the connector and solder directly to the existing wire or you could use three insulation displacement connectors (I’m not a big fan of these as they can damage your original wire).

Run these wires neatly to the centre of the PF following the existing wiring looms.

Take the +20v wire and push into both globe holders

Take the wire connected to the Black-Yellow wire and push into the left globe holder only.

Lastly take the wire connected to the Green-White wire and push into the right globe holder only.

Power up your pin and run a flasher test to ensure you have correctly wired the flashers up.

Play a few games and enjoy!

I did buy a kit maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Have to say could prob live without it , don't really notice those flashers that much in gameplay. Can see why they pulled them prior to full production.

If you do one lighting mod on TZ then it should be lighting up the gumball machine - now that does make a *huge* difference :D. I used Martins kit from Pinbits.

Just seen that Tony @ GLM is doing a re-engineered door light board with 4 flashers , as in the prototypes. Now this does look worth adding - the effect seems to be much more noticeable than the standard 2 flasher mod, which to be honest is pretty underwhelming.

[video=youtube;E9sbOiGB6vo]

Available soon, price unknown atm.

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

EDIT .....note to self - you really miss TZ, get it back home and setup soon :redface:

I to bought the kit years ago from Pinball Pro (I think). Like you have said Ive was not impressed , didn't even notic it was installed. Could defo live without.
Be interesting to see if the new mod is much better.

The colour fading LED kit behind the door of the backglass is a MUCH better mod.

Back
Top Bottom