What's new

Twilight Zone - the mods

Jonwolf

Registered
Twilight Zone is a machine that perhaps has more available mods than most machines. Mods split opinion - some hate them fullstop, some are happy if they are 'tastefully done', some go the whole way and add everything.
IMHO if a mod can be removed easily then anyone can enjoy them or get rid of them.
Here's what I have done with twilight zone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DRD
Pretty standard mod, used on creech too. This one reflects the playfield graphic

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_7a15f77cc029a0fcb3e3ebe870702df4.jpg

Slot machine, great mod and is one that looks like it should have been in the original machine
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_9f2bf171dc14162cc332cdf7234b9717.jpg

This one matches the playfield graphic perfectly but I can't get over the 'looks like it was added on' feel. May remove this one
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_34245d611c815c5453d58e4de2960e12.jpg

A few mods in this pic
- Robbie is a classic TZ mod and this one matches the translite not the playfield.
- TV looks 'added later' but hey, I love it
- gumball sparkle kit which should have been in the original. Any mod that makes an original part look better is a good mod
- diverter decal is another 'making original better' mod
- millions clock is another add that seems it could have been part of the original set up but then again...

Camera mod - I made this one myself. They are pretty common - loads of people churning them out for lots of cash. If you want one I will make one for you for a lot less. Warning - they are a bitch to install - the wires run under the upper playfield which is a pain
- the most IMPORTANT mod is not a mod - spot the Cliffy in this pic. It is saving the upper playfield from destruction. BUY cliffies!!!uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_72aa96a08f4d3c36804673ef455b59cd.jpg

The clock mod/upgrade. The best and most beautiful mod on this machine. Blue case, colour changing LEDs and white clock face. I still have the original case and clock face should a purist want to change it back when I sell the machine. I have a clock board (rotten dog) spare if anyone wants it. One of the LEDs is not working but I have four ground down LEDs that one day I will install to spread light better - a project that I never get around to doinguploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_1bed78fa37189cdb4917dbafdc307da7.jpg

Twilight zone power lamp - another must have upgrade. The original lamp is cheap looking. This one is the business. I improved it by installing a frosted shade made from some plastic from an IKEA lamp that was going to car bootuploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_594d51b416641f515f2d7c5cf5c0b613.jpg

Airplane mod. This one is unique cos I made it myself. Props, top light and cabin light are independently lit. Looks good with the back decal and is top lit with led strip. uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_3df0d5d03b182e7e848e3b6d1d62fc18.jpg

Piano mod. You can buy piano mods - the red plastic one from eBay etc but for a few quid I turned a musical piano box into this. I like it - looks like it was put there in machine uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_82a2b88d128037e2d40861f771845216.jpgproduction

Street lamp mod - matched the lamp graphic in the playfield. This one is understated but looks good. Cheap as chips to buy and dead easy to install. No screws - just fits over the nut. I bought two so if anyone wants one it's free. You'll need to put wires and croc clips on but it's an easy job. uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_d724710a947d9de40ecf711402f74f30.jpg

And that yer lot. Some good, some not so good. As I said at the start, it a question of taste. Sometimes I think the playfield looks overcrowded, sometimes I don't.
The best mod on this machine is not a mod - it's an essential - the Cliffies!uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_829f35220f66f5ccd090d22d639fecfb.jpg

Lovely looking machine and great thread! I have a TZ that came fairly modded but not ott and I love it, camera, slot and piano mods all look factory imo and are great additions. I find the rear right behind the clock very dark, love your plane but can you tell me a bit more about the led strip please? I think it's a fairly common mod for alot of pins but is it easy to install and where does it power from?

Nice mods, to many for my preference. I have red piano mod,power lamp mod, gumboil mod and thats it

Great looking machine. I have the piano mod but your piano mod looks amazing!

One more mod that's worth thinking about is the upper playfield switch mod to get rid of the ugly plastic switch covers:

IMG_3823.JPG

Not a great picture, but you can see the result.

And I'd love your other street lamp if it's going spare! I'll PM you.

My led at the back is 6v and so is powered from a GI light socket under the playfield. Cost a couple of quid if I remember right.

Andydreads on here sells lighting mods. I've just remembered that I bought an under cabinet led strip from him but he does others too.

Great solution to the switch cover problem. Never seen that before. PM me for the street lamp and I'll send it out - it needs croc leads attaching and then powers from GI under playfield

Street lamp mod - matched the lamp graphic in the playfield. This one is understated but looks good. Cheap as chips to buy and dead easy to install. No screws - just fits over the nut. I bought two so if anyone wants one it's free. You'll need to put wires and croc clips on but it's an easy job. uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160514_d724710a947d9de40ecf711402f74f30.jpg

I 'd match the skirts and bodies on the bumpers to match with star burst caps

His green lock light to matches the green lock insert? My lock insert isn't green. Am I the only one with an amber insert ?

His green lock light to matches the green lock insert? My lock insert isn't green. Am I the only one with an amber insert ?

I think (but not 100%) that green lock inserts are on prototype playfields or early run ones and amber is on later run ones....something along those lines anyway :)

I guessed as much - mines not the rare one then - I was hoping I had the one of a kind undiscovered version that Pat Lawlor once kept in his vaulted mansion.... Or something like that ;-)

Good thread, thank you.

I recommend the gumball marbles and colour change led. Anything that discreetly helps illuminate the dark rear corners of games is worthy of consideration imho

Back
Top Bottom