What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Twilight Zone Mini Playfield Lamp

Andy B

Site Supporter
Buying some MODs for my TZ.

Got everything I want (clock, piano, camera, slot machine) - just need mini playfield lamp with "Twilight Zone" cut out - the best I can see out there is from Pinball Decals Inc. but including shipping it's over £200! There's a much cheaper one available from Pinball Mods.com in Spain but, though it's more than half the price it doesn't look nowhere near as good as the Pinball Decals one and it looks like you have to get the rivets off your old bulb holders and install new ones in the replacement lamp.

Anyone have this MOD on their TZ and if so would you mind sharing details please.

Cheers

Andy

I'm on my 3rd Twilight Zone machine, and i've had both of these mini playfield lampshades.

The PinDecals one is superior, BUT in my experience it is simply not worth the extra cost and import/shipping hassle over the Spanish one. This machine has the Spanish one in and I'm very happy with it.

for the rivets - yes you need to drill out your existing lamp rivets to get the lamp wiring off, but on the replacement I used some small "M3 (3mm x 8mm) Small Button Head Screws Allen Socket Bolts A2 Stainless Steel Screws" instead of rivets.

e.g.

...but i got mine off eBay ages ago with some M3 locking nuts too. You obviously need the right hex key to tighten them up, but they're easy to find. You really wouldn't know the difference.

Loads of pics attached. My favourite mod is still the Pinbits (RIP) Gumball light with about 25ish paschinko balls in each side. That and the LED OCD + GI OCD (to keep The Power GI effects)

Attachments

• IMG_5828.JPG
    IMG_5828.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5829.JPG
    IMG_5829.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5830.JPG
    IMG_5830.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5831.JPG
    IMG_5831.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5832.JPG
    IMG_5832.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5833.JPG
    IMG_5833.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5834.JPG
    IMG_5834.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5835.JPG
    IMG_5835.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5837.JPG
    IMG_5837.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5840.jpg
    IMG_5840.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5841.JPG
    IMG_5841.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5839.jpg
    IMG_5839.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5838.jpg
    IMG_5838.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Buying some MODs for my TZ.

Got everything I want (clock, piano, camera, slot machine) - just need mini playfield lamp with "Twilight Zone" cut out - the best I can see out there is from Pinball Decals Inc. but including shipping it's over £200! There's a much cheaper one available from Pinball Mods.com in Spain but, though it's more than half the price it doesn't look nowhere near as good as the Pinball Decals one and it looks like you have to get the rivets off your old bulb holders and install new ones in the replacement lamp.

Anyone have this MOD on their TZ and if so would you mind sharing details please.

Cheers

Andy
Andy - which piano did you go for ? After 15 years of promising my old workhorse TZ one I might actually get one 😃

Andy - which piano did you go for ? After 15 years of promising my old workhorse TZ one I might actually get one 😃
Good question - I've also not bothered with it on this particular machine, but one day i might. A few of them hide the Red/Yellow lamps, which i don't really like.

I'm on my 3rd Twilight Zone machine, and i've had both of these mini playfield lampshades.

The PinDecals one is superior, BUT in my experience it is simply not worth the extra cost and import/shipping hassle over the Spanish one. This machine has the Spanish one in and I'm very happy with it.

for the rivets - yes you need to drill out your existing lamp rivets to get the lamp wiring off, but on the replacement I used some small "M3 (3mm x 8mm) Small Button Head Screws Allen Socket Bolts A2 Stainless Steel Screws" instead of rivets.

e.g.

...but i got mine off eBay ages ago with some M3 locking nuts too. You obviously need the right hex key to tighten them up, but they're easy to find. You really wouldn't know the difference.

Loads of pics attached. My favourite mod is still the Pinbits (RIP) Gumball light with about 25ish paschinko balls in each side. That and the LED OCD + GI OCD (to keep The Power GI effects)

Thanks for the really comprehensive reply and especially the photos. Good to know that the Pinbsll Decals one isn’t worth the extra cash. I’ll order the one from Spain and get me some of those nuts and bolts.

I got the Pinball Pro one - but I bought it through EBay - if you try and buy from their website it doesn’t allow you to pick international shipping:

I looked at the one from Pinball Mods in Spain and as with the lamp it didn’t look as good as the competition. The Pinball Mods one is brown and covers up the red and yellow lights whereas the Pinball Pro one is red and the lights are not hidden.

I don't have any of these toys on my TZ (also a cheapskate but I did pay £450 for the XL DMD panel!) - If anyone is ordering anything nice, I might be up for a joint order though...

A bit of dremel work and fiddling about. Done ✊ Happy with that for a few quid and couple hours tinkering - cutting not as neat but luckily most of it is hidden and this isn't a product I'm selling so who cares :p

4240A90D-A00A-44CF-B3E4-95579E732957.jpeg

F9762348-2B9B-41F6-B07C-76D4D5055807.jpeg

I just used the ones already available as a guide and cut to shape - it’s basically the exact same toy piano .

43E32B74-59A5-4453-A3EA-9932F7DC3E93.jpeg

F562296D-7A50-4561-B9B6-78B0C593742D.jpeg

A bit of dremel work and fiddling about. Done ✊ Happy with that for a few quid and couple hours tinkering
I just used the ones already available as a guide and cut to shape - it’s basically the exact same toy piano .
Nice work, mine came with that expensive one fitted. Yours has a proper songbook!
Very fiddly around there, I remember cursing while I was trying to get the led’s to make a proper contact and then fitting the clock so it’s sits down in that cut down bit as it was fitted riding high!
Good work soldier!!!

Nice work, mine came with that expensive one fitted. Yours has a proper songbook!
Very fiddly around there, I remember cursing while I was trying to get the led’s to make a proper contact and then fitting the clock so it’s sits down in that cut down bit as it was fitted riding high!
Good work soldier!!!
Cheers

It’s a bit fiddly as the piano sits over the clock plate mounting screw , so you have to have 1 of the lower rear screws in the clock , slightly loose which allows clock to be mounted but then allowed me to tilt it out of the way to screw my piano in place using existing lamp screw hole - I glued/screwed a bit of plastic to the base of the piano to mount it on and secure it.

Back
Top Bottom