What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twilight Zone Lamp Issue

Jonwolf

Registered
Once again, the newb to the list is leaning on the advice of the community ;-)

Issue: I have a set of lamps that keep burning out. If I put incandescent bulbs in the quickly blacken. LEDs last a while before they burn out with a brown burn smudge at the side.

The lamps are locations 41 through to 48 but it's the yellow inserts that do it and not the red.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160505_fcb8c57d5dd56294403658c4b0a4bf10.jpguploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160505_a26e077931c41f72a9676bad6077a2cb.jpg

Any ideas chaps ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some more information: the row of lights do not 'scroll' left to right - they all 'twinkle'. Also, when in play, they all remain on in 'twinkle mode'
The shoot again light spends most of its life 'on' too. I wouldn't mind so much if 'shoot again' was actually active ;-) But it ain't

Run through the single lamp test. Do any of the problem lamps come on when they shouldn't be? If so then you have a transistor short.

Thank you - I haven't done a lamp test yet (should have done) - and thanks for the quick delivery of the pair of playfield bolts [emoji106]

Just run a lamp test - they all work BUT they also light when other single lamps are on:

Eg: Test lamp 11 (camera door panel) and lamp 41 (2 million) lights as well.
Test lamp 21 (lock 2) and lamp 41 (2 million) lights as a well.

Is this supposed to happen ? Similar results with lamps 42,43,44, etc to 48

So it's a transistor short I guess. Officially out of my depth.... Again ;-)

I've taken a look at the manual and located q95 on the power drive assembly. I'll take a look on the machine and report back tomorrow. I'm used to cleaning and repairing playfield stuff but circuit boards are a strange place for me. Thanks for ghe guidance chaps

I have ordered a couple of replacement transistors - get ready for the cries for help when I start ;-)

And so the journey begins... I know not a lot about multimeters but have recently become the owner of one. A quick google on testing transistors before checking q95 and off I go !

Set multimeter to 'diode' Touch black probe to ground braid and red probe to 'tab' on a random transistor and I get an immediate straight reading of '1'.

Do same with q95 And I get a reading of around 750 that then starts to very slowly climb to around 1900 and then fluctuates, never reading '1'.

Interestingly (or not!) I get a reading of '1' for q91,q92,q93,q94,q96,q97 a a q98 but not immediately - they all start at around 1900 but quickly get to '1'

So, q95 is faulty I guess. I have a replacement so is it time to fetch the board out and replace ? I'll be asking for desoldering/soldering advice next ;-)

Back
Top Bottom