What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twilight Zone - Common Faults

DRD

Registered
5Years
I am going to look for a tz. Could I ask what the standard ware parts are on this machine please?. Ie what should I be looking out for, so that I buy it with my eyes open.

Are parts of playfield prone to wear, plastics that usually crack, ramps that crack ... Toys that fail etc. I know the clock can give trouble but at least spares are available for this

Thanks

Overheating clock, eddy sensor near trough, not really a big wear point machine, target next to slot hole kick-out takes a beating and that scoop is sometimes damaged/repaired, ball drops have the usual wear, prone to cab fade, make sure ceramic ball is included (available but not cheap).

There was one for sale in Nottingham a few weeks back, good price, might be worth a look if it's still available.

Do you remember what the price was pls ? Where was it advertised pls

I know that Chris Brim has got one, and may be for sale. If it is I am sure he will confirm.

Geneva switch errors, can get wear near the rocket kicker and where the ball drops through the pf when it comes out the gumball machine

Thanks for the thought, Nottingham would have been v convenient. I am beginning to appreciate that driving about the country is part if the game here.

For a really good one. Not a single cracked plastic, not a cracked ramp. No gouges to the woodwork, just light ware to playfield, what might you pay pls ?

I don't mean home use only, but a rigorously maintained game by a sad addict like me that replaces every faulty bit. I am just wondering what upper end pricing is for these fellas

Thanks

Minters usually go for about 3k, should be able to get a decent one for quite a bit less.

backtracking here:oops:, 3k maybe a bit over the top , perhaps on ebay!

target next to slot hole kick-out takes a beating

The target Dreads mentions doesn't have any playfield wood backing it up, so it could get bent back as far as 45 degrees, and act as a little ramp, breaking the plastic lightshield. There's an strengthened target available to replace the original one. When new, these games had a tendency to break the 'Actuator' rod operating the diverter on the upper wire track (leading to the mini-playfield).

I'd say its fair to say that they are one of the more reliable games. I've had 3 now, which ive restored, and haven't found significant problems with any. The above statements are all true. The strengthened slot machine target is a must (they're only £4 more than a standard target). For some reason i've never seen one with a significantly worn playfield (just my experience and prepared to be corrected). Plastic sets are £120 so try to negotiate if it bothers you. New plastics do tend to look better as the originals yellow as they age.
The trough eddy sensor does go wrong but usually the fix is to either solder the wires to the board (usually considered a hack but in this application seems pretty accepted as the connectors just arent up to the job). The clock always goes wrong too, however ingo sells a fantastic clock board which solves the original design issues totally. I fitted one and haven't had a moments trouble since.
Other than that its just normal pinball weaknesses i.e. GI connectors burning up.
Even one with problems can be fixed up well. The parts are available so so long as the price reflects the condition, it really isnt hard to make an average condition game really sparkle.
Good choice of game BTW, if you ever end up in the Aylesbury area you're welcome to come and have a few games on mine!

The TZ also seems more prone to resets during play esp if not been played for a while, re-seating the power cables on the main driver board usually cleans the pins enough to remedy this.

Bought a tz today ! The one on eBay, did a cash deal.

Was very well maintained by a nice guy. Not a single cracked plastic or ramp. Playfield excellent. Cabinet faded, the red has gone gold ! But otherwise superb. It is in much better nick than my addams, and that was a pinball paradise renovation in 1999. Indeed this one has a pinball paradise Label inside, so I wonder if it was renovated in the past too. It is virtually unmarked

I actually think the cabinet looks ok like this, as the black is still black and I prefer the understated cabinets of older pinballs. The fade is even on both sides so it looks like addams family gold colours. If I didn't know it was meant to be red, I could have imagined it coming out of the factory like this

It was full of additional light mods, and even blue lights all along the ramp ball returns which I have been stripping out tonight.

Some shenanigans with led lights, as he had replaced virtually all incandescents with LEDs. The door handle light won't work with the led the guy put in there. But it works give with an incandescent. I tested the led, the bulb worked elsewhere. After the excitement I am now in the "what the hell have I bought this for phase" !!!

Makes me wonder about stripping all the LEDs out, and going back to originals if this sort Of thing is going on.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the blue light wire mod then! I like it, each to his own though.
Bear in mind having leds significantly reduces the chance of burnt out GI connectors, and they are also better for the plastics which can warp and become brittle from the heat of incandescents.

Back
Top Bottom