What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travelling to the USA - Queen Mary 2

DRD

Registered
Travel to South Africa is my forte. Have lived and worked there, am married to one, get medical and dentistry out there, kruger most years over the past 20. Been too many times

But I think this is worth a mention.

If you are too tall/ fussy/ rich and would normally buy a premium one way air ticket to the East Coast of the USA the costs are broadly:

Economy 300 each way
Premium Economy 500 each way
Business 1000 each way

Obviously prices vary hugely, depending on how flexible you are with dates.

You can also get there by ship. The queen mary 2 is the only cruise liner on earth. It is costing me 800 per person one way to have a balcony cabin with sofa/ shower/ en suite/ fridge/ 2x singles or 1x king bed and that includes 7 nights of food in 3 retaurants/ 2x theatres/ lectures/ library/ pools/ planetarium/ 24h room service/ gym/ exercise classes/ tea-coffee-water (booze is on top London pub prices).

A mate has been telling me to do this for years and I have finally taken the plunge.

300 quid more than premium eco and less than business. Worth a punt

If you're open to travelling slower like this you can also look for a repositioning cruise on any line which tend to be cheaper than regular cruise prices as a company is moving their ship from one zone (Mediterranean) to another (America) and so are just happy to get anyone on board

Travel to South Africa is my forte. Have lived and worked there, am married to one, get medical and dentistry out there, kruger most years over the past 20. Been too many times

If you are too tall/ fussy/ rich and would normally buy a premium one way air ticket to the East Coast of the USA the costs are broadly:

Economy 300 each way
Business 1000 each way

You can also get there by ship. The queen mary 2 is the only cruise liner on earth. It is costing me 800 per person one way to have a balcony cabin with sofa/ shower/ en suite/ fridge/ 2x singles or 1x king bed and that includes 7 nights of food in 3 retaurants/ 2x theatres/ lectures/ library/ pools/ planetarium/ 24h room service/ gym/ exercise classes/ tea-coffee-water (booze is on top London pub prices).

A mate has been telling me to do this for years and I have finally taken the plunge.

the downside is your stuck on a boat for days. 🤣. I hate em

And they wonder why the majority of customers are either incredibly wealthy or retired......

... Not sure why i would want to "waste" (Subjective) 7 days to get to somewhere, when for a few hundred more i can be there in 6 hours!!

Using the same logic, Just get rid of your car and invest in a pony and trap.....

Although if you did travel everywhere by horse drawn wagon you could probably get a pinball machine in the back of one of those 👀

Economy 300 each way
Business 1000 each way

You'll love it.

QM2 is the best ocean liner ever built. I worked on QE2 years ago.

She's small by modern cruise ship standards but was really built as a trans Atlantic liner rather than a cruiser.

Absolute luxury. . . . A real treat 👍

A large group of us went on a 26mi bike ride last week for my friend Ron’s 90th birthday.
It was a cracker of a day with copious amounts of beer drank at the end.

Ron said it was the best present he has ever had meeting up with so many old friends.
This was just after returning from a cruise his daughter bought him as a surprise present.

When I asked how his cruise was as I always fancied one his reply was and I quote!

“It was bloody awful and full of old boring gits that all looked on their last legs. I was glad when it was all over 🤪
This is from a bloke fighting the big C who most days adventures out rather than moping at home all day.

Ron is an inspiration to everyone and has you in tears of laughter with his life experiences and story’s that should be put into a biography.

Kinda got of track a little but one man’s idea of bliss (in this case a cruise) is another’s worst nightmare especially for Ron.

The birthday boy himself 90yrs young
339a2cb7-c9dc-4492-bfc2-bd97a7905b29.jpeg

Lazy me took the electric unicycle
IMG_2970.jpeg

And they wonder why the majority of customers are either incredibly wealthy or retired......

... Not sure why i would want to "waste" (Subjective) 7 days to get to somewhere, when for a few hundred more i can be there in 6 hours!!

Using the same logic, Just get rid of your car and invest in a pony and trap.....

Couldn't agree more

My retired parents have done the journey from NYC to Southampton a few times and are booked to do it again in July. If you have the luxury of time it sounds like a great experience and comes with the bonus of no jet lag. My dad’s advice is to bring books and loose trousers because they’ll be tight by the time you disembark.

As an aside, it’s also the kindest way to get a dog or cat over to the States - they have kennels on board with full time staff and owners can go and visit them daily. Limited number of spaces and not very cheap but if you ever have to move a pet between continents it would be much less stressful for them than the air cargo route.

Being treated like an actual terrorist in airport security, then breathing recirculated farts for 8 hours.
Week bobbing about sleeping and eating posh nosh for me.

Back
Top Bottom