What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Transporter the Rescue

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
In the words of Lonnie Gordon.....it's happening all over again :D

Time to crack on with my next project which is the Transporter the Rescue I picked up from my recent road trip to Belgium. The first video will be up on my Youtube channel in the next day or two but I'm already on the scrounge for parts :thumbs:

Has anyone got a spare system 11 lock down bar in good shape (@replicas I think you said you might have one?) and a ribbed yellow flipper bat (common on a lot of the Bally games of this time) that they'd be willing to sell?

In the mean time, I'll just leave this here......

Great vid Chris. This game really brings back memories for me.

Life was better when system 11 games were in the wild.

D

I've got a pair of those yellow ribbed flipper bats available if you still need them Chris.

One is brand new, and the other is a second hand one which needs a good clean up.

If you want I could either pop them in the post or else bring them to the NLP if you are not in a hurry.

i agree, i love Chris' @ronsplooter's videos. if you click the name to see his channel, there's also a several-part series on restoring Aerobatics, another on Space Station, and you can also see that he liked a 4-part video masterclass about how to knit socks. so there's that.
Socks you say ? :hmm:

Sounds like he's put his foot in it this time. :)

I've been asked via PM to explain what I did to restore the legs as I mentioned it in the video but didn't go into any detail :) So the legs were originally black but after years of sitting in a warehouse the paint was flaking off in big chunks and rust was developing.

First I made sure I could get the leg levellers out. They needed sticking in a vice and cranking out with a spanner. I had to use some heat (blow torch) on a couple of them but they came out and nothing got sheared off. Gave the holes a little clean with a wire brush to get the crap out.

I stripped all the paint off them using the Wickes stripper. I painted it on using an old brush that I thew away after. It's like a gel so it doesn't run and you scrape it off after the recommended time. I used an old wallpaper scraper to get the paint off mine and it took a couple of goes at this to get them clear.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Paint+Varnish-Stripper-1L/p/155054

I cleaned the legs off with hot soapy water and used wet n dry to rub them down to get a nice, clean metal surface. Dry them off and spray with Halfords etch primer. I put on as many coats as it needed to get a nice even grey finish (it was a grey primer). Put the old leg levellers back in for this and leave them in during all of the spray painting.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/primer/halfords-etch-primer-500ml

Leave the primer to dry for 24 hours :thumbs: The next day I rubbed the legs down in the sink with some water and 1200 grit wet n dry. This gave a smooth finish to paint on. Dry the legs off again and then spray with the Halfords spray paint. I used satin black but they also do matt and gloss plus loads of different colours. Go easy with lots of light coats until you get a nice finish. I painted the backs of the legs first so I could practice my technique with the can before doing the more visible fronts.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...paints/halfords-satin-black-spray-paint-500ml

Leave the paint to dry for the recommended time and then spray with the clearcoat. I had some of the stuff that @newdos uses to do playfields left over so used that. It's called Autotec or something but I can't find it on Ebay at the moment. The Halfords one I've linked below should be more than good enough for doing legs though.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...paints/halfords-satin-black-spray-paint-500ml

Whist doing the above also scuff up the heads of the legs bolts to get a metal surface. Stick them in a cardboard box and spray with primer, paint and clear at the same time you do the legs. Take the old levellers out and replace with new. If any of them don't go in well then you can re-tap the threads using a tap and die set if you have one.

You've now got a decent looking set of legs :thumbs: They're not going to be as good as having them blasted and powder coated but you can get very presentable results if you take your time on the prep :D

Might be a good idea to clearcoat while out of machine.
That is if its in good enough condition.

How do you remember which bracket and screw goes where? Lots of photos?

Yes, lots of photos but also having done a fair amount of these now you kind of get used to what goes where :) I definitely take less photos than I used too and have refined my process over time :thumbs:

Might be a good idea to clearcoat while out of machine.
That is if its in good enough condition.

The playfield seems to be in really nice shape but it's got a factory mylar fitted and I don't fancy pulling that on a Sys 11 game...could go south very quickly :eek: I'll give it a good clean and see how it comes out but likely I'll just wax it :thumbs:

If I was being critical, I think there should be more sex and violence introduced, or maybe end in a cliffhanger each week similar to 'Who shot JR'....or a ' Ronsplooter After Dark'..am sure Sky would pick it up!

Other than Bake Off, its the one thing I like to tune into each week!

excellent stuff, you have balls of steel to reduce the whole machine basically down to its constituent parts. if i tried this, after reassembly i'd have dozens of bits left over

I can only assume he hasn't got a dog or kids.

Firstly when you have kids, finding the time to do this is difficult.

Also, that beautifully laid out lid with all the screws would last 10 seconds before a dog / child kicked it over, thus distributing everything across his lounge and the inevitable loss of some small and important piece.

Truly a labour of love on these machines and great videos.

I've been doing some testing this evening and amazingly everything works first time :D Ran through the various in game tests and all switches, lamps, flashers and solenoids are working.

Moved onto actual play testing and it's playing sweet except for one thing. The VUK that pops the ball up to the upper flipper playfield for the shot across to the Transporter is crazy overpowered. Most of the time it fires the ball over the upper flipper so you can't trap it.

Consulting the manual shows it should be an AE-23-1200 coil where as my game has an AE-23-800 installed which explains the over power :) Unfortunately I don't have a spare AE-23-1200 coil so I've had to go with something else.

Coil power is related to resistance where lower resistance = higher power (or in my case I want higher resistance = lower power). Testing the 23-800 shows it's got a resistance of about 4 ohms and I've nicked an AE-24-900 off my Fish Tales playfield that has a resistance of about 5.5 ohms. This coil is from a VUK on FT so I'm hoping it should be a good substitute....just need to solder it in and find out :hmm:

Brilliant videos Chris. What a job you are doing here. Beautiful. And really interesting to see the guts of this Bally-Williams hybrid.

So does thing have System 11 flippers, but Bally Linear (ie Fathom) slings ?

My physics A level is a long time ago, but I think a coil's magnetic strength is related to the number of turns and the current going through them

Thanks mate :)

Yes, Sys 11 style flipper mechs, Bally style slings and what look to me like Williams style drop target banks. Based on my limited understanding, the gauge of the wire and the number of turns basically determines the resistance of the coil and the higher the resistance then the less juice is left over to drive it and therefore it's less powerful.

That could all be b*llocks of course but I'll find out soon enough when I try it with the new coil :thumbs:

The new coil is a success :D Still pretty powerful but you can now trap the ball on the upper flipper most of the time for shots at the transporter :thumbs: Just need to shoot a gameplay video and then I can call this one done.

Back
Top Bottom