What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toppers that never were

cr5000462

Registered
Alias
CR
Right, Keeping myself busy, and cutting to the chase a little here.
I am a scale model maker by hobby/business and have a team of like-minded craftspeople all around the world that give me access to 3D printing, CAD design, metal cutting, engraving, CNCing etc etc,..

I am going to be making new style toppers! but won't be able to include game names due to licensing, First on my list is a RFM/AFM topper, Jurassic park and Congo. RFM is currently being built, and I have some of the parts ready for JP, just need to get some more dimensions, The idea is firmly planted in my mind for congo too!

What topper would you like to see be remade in a whole new style? or games that never had a topper and are crying out for one!

Get my mind working and if it takes me I will add it to my project list!

AC/DC could do with a decent topper.

A TWD topper that goes the full way across the back box could also be a winner.

Regarding your comment on licensing I really can’t imagine you would get any grief over themes such as “Congo” given the extremely limited run of any toppers sold. Star Wars etc might be a different proposition.

I'd be interested to know what it would cost to get this cab light made into a topper for Batman Forever.

Attachments

• BF Topper.JPG
    BF Topper.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 41
To be honest, this isn't a money making exercise and wasn't going to offer any for sale. I can pretty much guarantee they will be too expensive from the get go for any form of resale

I'd be interested to know what it would cost to get this cab light made into a topper for Batman Forever.
To do that first a mould would have to be made, then a plastic (semi transparent) would have to be vac formed over the mould. A "Gotham" decal or hand painted would then be applied to the front to let the light through, not impossible, the mould is the hardest bit

Might have to do a bit of research and see if other BF owners might go for it. If we could get a few pre orders it might reduce the cost?

It would do yes, I wouldn't bother with pre orders, I would make one, then sell them on an individual basis if viable for everyone - do you have any better images?

A very, very quick initial brain storming on the JP attached.

The back plate will be similar to this shape, but made by CNC, with a beveled 3d edge, the edge will be the famous red/yellow hazards. - the bottom strip will not be as tall, with a few letters along the bottom (obvious which ones)

The actual colour of the back plate will be a jungle/Forrest theme, with 3d objects, trees, grass, general jungle style things.

On the underside, it will be light with a glowing green LED Strip that highlights the feature trex.

One for the imagination this one, it's the very first initial brain storming of ideas, shapes etc, take nothing off it except the trex.

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_203008.jpg
    IMG_20200731_203008.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200731_203031.jpg
    IMG_20200731_203031.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20200731_203049.jpg
    IMG_20200731_203049.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20200731_203054.jpg
    IMG_20200731_203054.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 42
The Trex is available "off the shelf" for a very reasonable £40 if anyone fancies it! eBay :thumbs:

@cr5000462 - are you really going to get your collar felt for making toppers with the game names on them?

Laserific seem to be getting away with it, and the other chap on here who is selling translites and other art.....

I can not imagine that T REX (which looks amazing) without the JP logo behind it.

Probably not, but the world is full of "I think I'm a do gooder" and love to report things like this. That there is the issue

Adding a little further to how I aim the lighting to be, I like the green

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_211906.jpg
    IMG_20200731_211906.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 19
The red at the rear adds a bit of extra depth too

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_212410.jpg
    IMG_20200731_212410.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 27
I just do one offs when people ask me and don’t advertise them for sale.
But as said above laserific and others seem to ger away with so I wonder how.
A mate of mine used to sell Mini Cooper decals on eBay and BMW sued him asking for crazy compensation that was more than his house was worth.
He had to declare himself bankrupt before BMW dropped the case. All scary stuff I don’t wanna be a piece of.
I’ve sold 3 of my pins now with home made toppers and done a couple for pinfo members which seems to work for me.

Col

AC/DC could do with a decent topper.

A TWD topper that goes the full way across the back box could also be a winner.

Regarding your comment on licensing I really can’t imagine you would get any grief over themes such as “Congo” given the extremely limited run of any toppers sold. Star Wars etc might be a different proposition.

Totally agree and would be in on one if it was a Topper 😂

Back
Top Bottom