What's new

Top end restoration, but not top end wpc title

DRD

Registered
Occasionally games come up that have had a good level of restoration work. Really good PF. Decals. Full plastic sets. Polished brightwork. Resprayed coin doors ...... A proper enthusiast has picked a low mileage original game and spent time on it. But the base title is solid but not that fashionable

I am not dissing games here, I would include titles of my own like fish tales, shadow. Plus getaway, sttng, roadshow .... That sort of thing. The games that as decent, tidy working examples you can pick up from a fellow enthusiast for 1500.

I have seen folk asking north of 3k for these sorts of things. I am always happy to pay the market rate, but I just cannot bring myself to pay that sort of money for these titles as I fear my "out" price would struggle to exceed 2k

What do you reckon is fair for these sorts of things ?

Thanks

I think it's really difficult to put a price on games like you describe too. Ultimately I guess its a case of what somebody is prepared to pay for the game. I have a STTNG which I fully restored including new Mirco repro playfield, all 3 new repro ramps and subway, new plastics, canon covers, Cliffys, ColorDMD, Flipper Fidelity speakers, PDI glass and loads of other parts that I've probably forgotten about. All in the machine has probably cost me £4.5 - £5k but appeciate nobody is ever likely to want to pay that much for one if I ever needed to sell it. If it had to go I guess I'd want £3.5k for it at least but it was built as a keeper (and it really needs to stay that way now!)

I can remember having a chat with another forum member when picking up a machine a while ago after seeing the project log for @Spandangler 's Taxi which if memory serves me correctly cost him around £3k. I think that Taxi is one of best machines ever made, easily top 5 so if he wanted to sell it I'd happily pay the £3k for it as I know it would cost that much to restore one to the same standard, if you could source parts like the repro playfield at all. The guy I was talking to thought it was crazy though and I'm pretty sure most people on here would probably think the same.

The nub of it for me is that your well funded buyer, who can afford to pay premium prices probably wants a top end title. MM or equivalent.

If these types of buyers look at pinside or ipdb they would never buy a game like FT or Getaway anyway

Yea I think you're probably right, its always going to be easier to find someone willing to pay premium prices for a top end title. That said there are still fans of games like FT and Getaway who would be prepared to pay good money for a really nice example, just a lot fewer of them. I think it's only worth paying top money for titles like these if they are special games to you which you intend to keep or don't mind taking a hit on when it's time to move them on.

That's right mate. I guess it's a labour of love.
Half the plus for doing it yourself is chipping away at in stages. There's no way I would or could afford to outlay £3k for a taxi. But a couple of hundred quid here and there doesn't seem as bad over a few months.

I wouldn't expect to see anywhere near my money back on taxi but on the other hand, I'd want a bit of a premium on it.

You're really aiming at the very top of the pyramid of buyers on something like that and realistically have to set a time frame of months and months to sell it.

I look at it like restoring an old car. You need to decide if your doing with a view to sell or not. Just because it's someone else's love doesn't mean you should have to pay more than its worth.

I think everyone should be encouraged to "within there own skill level" work on there own machines, we need to keep them out there folks!
I think most would agree its better to buy/own a nice one?
As with most things it all boils down to individuals and there own finance's & situations, personally I would love a TAF but it will probably never happen due to money they command, so will keep plugging away at the lesser titles

Not everybody is as tight as you drd:rofl: i have done plenty of lower title games to mint standard not to make money just because i like the game and its really nice to see a lower end title in top end condition
threre are many pinball people not just people on this group i have many customers wanting top end stuff all the time they would much rather have a lovely restored reliable game for more money than a cheep tatty pile of **** off e bay
the top end restored getaway no expence spared that i did for the pinball heaven stand at nlp and the fh where both sold instantly to customers when viewed
what would people like to see on ph stand next year i have TOM WH20 and tz all waiting for top end restorations

Not everybody is as tight as you drd:rofl: i have done plenty of lower title games to mint standard not to make money just because i like the game and its really nice to see a lower end title in top end condition
threre are many pinball people not just people on this group i have many customers wanting top end stuff all the time they would much rather have a lovely restored reliable game for more money than a cheep tatty pile of **** off e bay
the top end restored getaway no expence spared that i did for the pinball heaven stand at nlp and the fh where both sold instantly to customers when viewed
what would people like to see on ph stand next year i have TOM WH20 and tz all waiting for top end restorations
Your see a lot of nice TOM and TZs out there, wh20 not so much imo so maybe wh20?

+1 for WH20, it's definitely becoming a more sort after title anyway. The FH and Getaway you restored were both stunning.

No coloured LEDs behind the back glass this time though, the only thing I didn't like on the FH. ;)

This is a really interesting thread. I'm OCD and love pinball. That equals large amounts of time and money spent on the small amount of machines that pass through me.
I have as much, if not more fun making them better than playing them.
My most recent machine is STTNG. It was in very good nick when I got it and the price demanded it. Since then I have installed new legs/feet, new side rails. Cleaned and cleaned, protectors for plastics, ramp protectors, upgraded coffin and tasteful mod.
Replaced the LEDs that were a bugger to replace - there's one in particular that requires serious under playfield dismantling.
There are still tiny (but big in my OCD mind) aesthetic improvements to make. I'll do em, cos I love doing em.
Nuts really, I'll not get back the investment. But that's not the point. It's a hobby I love.
Who cares what title is worth restoring ? They all are.
I don't have the big money some have, I don't don't have the knowledge that some have, but I love being a part of this hobby.
Every machine needs TLC and improving.
Thanks to all who save them, thanks to all who restore them, thanks to all who play them and love them.

I'm pouring my second glass of wine as I type ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom