What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Tommy: Mirror Motor

Calimori

Staff member
Alias
Calimori
In between working on my house project, I have taken delivery of @replicas Tommy for some foster care.
I have wanted one for ages and I like the theme and game play.

But the magic mirror motor doesn't work properly. I have stripped it and the gears are damaged and this means that it slips against the relatively low weight of raising the mirror.

Does any one have one? Unlikely but you can be lucky sometimes.

Looks like it was used in other Stern games and matches this description:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/041-5030-00

It might be that I have to go down that route. The 6RPM on the original doesn't feel particularly fast so we could go for the 9 RPM version. The mounting points might be critical, I will take another look and see but I don't like the idea of fabricating a metal bracket at this point, outside of my comfort zone.

I don't have one, but is it the teeth on the gears that have been stripped, or are the gears themselves slipping on their spindles? I had a gear on a DW spindle which I repaired by just resoldering it back to the spindle, but if it's the teeth I guess it's a more terminal problem.

It is the teeth slipping due to wear, probably a poorly adjusted mechanism that made it harder work until it wore out. I tried a few ways to remove any slack from the system but couldn't see a way to do it. Now I own the mechanism, I can be a little more aggressive but think I might as well just get an order from Marco.

Knowing stern/data east its probably same motor used on everything so shouldn't be too hard to source. was the only fault you used to get on star wars as games were played heavily and disposed of by ops when the motor packed in

Thanks Steve, I will go searching other machines for easier found parts.

OK, it would appear to also be on Austin Powers as the Dr. Evil target motor assembly.

Edit:
041-5030-00 / 515-5900-00 motor, used on Austin Powers (Dr Evil), Tales from the Crypt (tombstone) & Tommy (mirror).

I disagree. Data east / stern used multiple variations of motor. Looks like that one was only used on tftc tombstone.

Here's the cross reference charts.

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_09_02_9989e1473409db1d0850fcf030dbd1bb.jpg

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_09_02_5bb5e9e6bd64b31fa40b9e92d775ba0b.jpg

Thanks Andy, that is good to know and stops me buying thing that won't work.

I genuinely do not know how six years have past since I posted this but the issue is still unsolved.
The motor (515-5900-00) appears to be unavailable for a while and 041-5030-00 is the recommended option from Marco. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/041-5030-00
So one last bump before I bite the bullet on the other motor which is the AUSTIN POWERS Dr. Evil target motor assembly (515-5900-00 and 500-5742-01) based on marco but not what pinballmania recommend...

In between working on my house project, I have taken delivery of @replicas Tommy for some foster care.
I have wanted one for ages and I like the theme and game play.

But the magic mirror motor doesn't work properly. I have stripped it and the gears are damaged and this means that it slips against the relatively low weight of raising the mirror.

Does any one have one? Unlikely but you can be lucky sometimes.

Looks like it was used in other Stern games and matches this description:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/041-5030-00
Hi I have the one from Steve Paget's you can have it for what I paid 30 plus postage£5

Is that an original one 515-5900-00?
If it works and is in the UK, then let's get that sorted out. PM with some pictures and where I can send the money.

If it works and is in the UK, then let's get that sorted out. PM with some pictures and where I can send the money.
Il go and find it and send some pics

Back
Top Bottom