What's new

TOM Strange behaviour? - Fixed!

Max

Site Supporter
Alias
Max
Hey all,

I recently acquired a nice TOM which I got around to working on last week. I seem to be experiencing an issue, from reading the rules it seems that (in normal play) three hits on the trunk should cause the trunk to rotate, exposing the opening, which then once hit will start the illusion.
What is happening on my game is that the third hit of the trunk starts the illusion immediately (on all except hat magic bizarrely, which requires the trunk shot to start). The trunk is operating properly as far as I can tell, rotating properly through the different phases of the illusions/modes, magnet working, just that the illusions are being triggered immediately on the third hit. The opto in the trunk base and the lock switches in the subway/trapdoor popper all seem to be working properly in test.

I've been through the manual and menus, I can't find anything that looks like it would affect this. The game did have a corrupt sound rom (U2) which i've replaced and that seems to have fixed the issues it caused, I'm just wondering if perhaps the main game rom has also got a problem that might explain this.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Are you 100% sure the trunk is working? Have you tried it in test?

I've had similar behaviour in game when it can't rotate and accepts you hitting the trunk rather than entering it. Eg when it's mid turn you can give it a hit before it's showing the correct side and it'll still award you.

Are you 100% sure the trunk is working? Have you tried it in test?

I've had similar behaviour in game when it can't rotate and accepts you hitting the trunk rather than entering it. Eg when it's mid turn you can give it a hit before it's showing the correct side and it'll still award you.
I've played a couple of hundred games on it and it's working properly as far as I can tell. It rotates to show the opening after starting the illusion, but this is always directly after the third hit (except on hat magic). In multiball it turns to show the opening correctly and registers jackpot shots properly (into the trunk) etc. The magnet grab and drop for 3rd lock works properly, the correct face is shown for trunk escape etc. It seems absolutely fine in terms of rotation and operation tbh, just as if something in the game logic is just telling it to start on the third hit.

I'll run through the tests fully and report back.

Our TOM is out on loan otherwise I'd try replicate it and see what else I can find

Last edited:
Hey Dave, thanks for the input so far. I've just run through the trunk test (4 opto test) and it rotates properly and registers as you'd expect, ran through the trapdoor test for good measure and also fine. I've been playing it for a few days and honestly hadn't noticed anything was wrong until I sat down and had a read of the rules, then I kept seeing reference to the trunk shot being required to start each illusion. Something definitely isn't right with my game, feels like game logic to me but I'm a noob so what do I know!
I've ordered a replacement system rom in the meantime anyway, I'll let you know if this has any effect.

Thanks again

Is it the soren ROM? That's a good shout if so, more options and fixes a few things.

Is it the soren ROM? That's a good shout if so, more options and fixes a few things.

Soren ROM, is that the 1.4 'home' one? I'll believe I'd need a new security chip for that as well if I went with that. If that's recommended I can change my order accordingly, I just read somewhere that there are reset issues with 1.4? Current rom is 1.3 by the looks:

1688463747249.png

Not an expert on TOM (big fan of the game though) and so apologies in advance if my suggestion is obvious/silly, but just throwing it out there; this issue sounds like a ROM/feature adjustment setting. Is there a "# of trunk hits to start mode" or a setting which has been enabled by mistake which side steps need to enter the trunk (as Dave suggested, for when the trunk isn't working as it should)

Aside from that, can't hurt to install the better ROMs in any event and go from there :thumbs:

I typed a reply out early doors but it seems not to have gone through. From memory, the trunk test is slow and goes to each position in turn whereas in game the trunk spins round to the entry hole. I would suggest there is an opto not registering correctly (possible flakey solder joint somewhere). I would re-flow solder to all the pins on the opto board under the trunk and also to each of the opto legs.

Firstly though, I would also try having it in switch test and wiggle the relevant cable that supplies the opto board to see if you get any switch closures - if you do you have a cable breaking down

Chaps, thanks for all the input and ideas.
After much checking of everything I’ve stumbled across the cause. I think the adjustment on the trunk eddy sensor was too tight or perhaps the sensor is on its way out. I ran through the adjustment again with less focus on finding the precise moment the light goes out and boom, suddenly all working as expected. I played around 20 games and the problem didn’t happen once, it was 100% consistent previously.

My theory, it was registering two hits instead of one and the double hit on the 3rd was then triggering the illusion (immediate hit during the trunk rotation phase). That’s my best guess anyway. I never saw the double hit during the initial 3 hits though, more guessing is that something in the code prevents multiple hits within a very short time in that scenario. It was so consistent I’m sure code had a role.

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks again for the help all!

@David_Vi I’ve ordered the Soren Rom anyway, lots of good stuff in there! 👍🏼

Cheers
Max

That solution is almost so obvious I wouldn't have considered it!

I have encountered it on roadshow when you get two days of the week rather than one when hitting the bulldozer blade but wouldn't have considered it for TOM 🙈

The soren ROM is indeed great! It also fixes issues with the trunk chanting direction and trapping balls at the side of the trunk.

Reactions: Max
The benefit of hindsight!

Loving the game already, looking forward to the improvements when the rom arrives. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom