What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ToM Magic trunk getting lost

Tidy Technician

Registered
Hi Guys,

So I spent most of the day installing LED's into my ToM, only to find on completion that the magic trunk has developed an issue..

I could not believe it !!!

I am 90% certain that one of the opto sensors has given up
Any idea where i can get a replacement from ?

Its a Fairchild qve11233.0086

i am searching for the opto or a replacement board with all 4 on it... hopefully from the UK

Thanks for your help in advance,,,,

On a positive not, the LED installation looks awesome !! pity the game is not now working !

I take it its not just a case of the variable resistor on the trunk board needing a quick adjust?

I'm crap at describing things, hell its probably not even a resistor knowing me... Its the little adjustable pot thing next to the red LED. You can adjust it with a mini screwdriver (of the size you use to tighten glasses screws). It fine tunes the trunk sensor. Theres a similar thing on each of the outlane boards to control the "Magic" ball save.

If you turn it too far one way the LED comes on - You want it to be at the point just before that.

Edit - Checked the manual and its on the Eddy sensor board, so might not be relevant.

Last edited:
I'm crap at describing things, hell its probably not even a resistor knowing me... Its the little adjustable pot thing next to the red LED. You can adjust it with a mini screwdriver (of the size you use to tighten glasses screws). It fine tunes the trunk sensor. Theres a similar thing on each of the outlane boards to control the "Magic" ball save.

If you turn it too far one way the LED comes on - You want it to be at the point just before that.

Edit - Checked the manual and its on the Eddy sensor board, so might not be relevant.
yes thats just for the eddy

i now know the opto does not work, as it doesn't register in switch test
so just ordered replacement...

Last edited:
Before you buy an new opto have a look at the issue. Put the trunk in test mode and identify which opto is not working. There are four on the board under the trunk. It is possible that you've dislodged the connector to the board or that the board has a hairline solder crack on the connector, or that the grub screw has come loose so the opto interuptor is not working correctly. Then perhaps investigate the opto itself....

Before you buy an new opto have a look at the issue. Put the trunk in test mode and identify which opto is not working. There are four on the board under the trunk. It is possible that you've dislodged the connector to the board or that the board has a hairline solder crack on the connector, or that the grub screw has come loose so the opto interuptor is not working correctly. Then perhaps investigate the opto itself....

I have looked into this quite extensively, already identified opto 2 is appearing not to work.
Connectors all seated ok, interuptor was fitted correctly.
changed the opto and still having trouble.. found that the spinner switch is also not working and thats on the same switch line we believe.

found some damaged cable at the bottom under playfield, maybe the play field has snagged the cable when closed / opened during the LED upgrade install... note to self - be more careful when opening machine!
So tomorrows job is to repair that cable (which we know is part of this circuit in question)

I think we have just about got to the bottom of how this board works, with other switches on the same lines as the opto's

i will let you know how we get on tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_6528.JPG
    IMG_6528.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 5
Problem solved....

After repairing damaged cables at the bottom of the play field (which looked like they had been worn out over time) the problem still persisted.

So downloaded and read the Manual PDF !

Worked out how the switch matrix works.. quite cleaver i thought !
found a wire had broken off of the switch for tiger saw top area...
Re soldered it and hey presto !! problem solved...

So after a lot of learning and discovery, it turned out to be a very easy fix !

A good exercise though, as i have learned new stuff !!

Time to relax and play a few games :)

Back
Top Bottom