What's new

Time Lapse Camera for extension build

Big Phil

Site Supporter
Alias
OTWBigPhil
Anyone got experience of these? Just want a budget time lapse camera to sit in the garden for the extension build. Battery powered and would need to have a waterproof housing.

Anyone got experience of these? Just want a budget time lapse camera to sit in the garden for the extension build. Battery powered and would need to have a waterproof housing.
No real ideas for off the shelf. My company put in solar panels 10-12 years ago, I got a network camera and made a weatherproof box for it. There was freeware software I found at the time that took pictures that I manually combines into a timelapse video.
I suspect that it's all moved on a lot, in this era of GoPros and whatever..
So, I'd look at GoPro or wildlife capture units - both pretty cheap and I think should do what you want.
Sorry - only educated guesswork, when I did this I was on a total budget and mainly used gaffer tape!

Sent from my FP3 using Tapatalk

Done this cheaply a few times for builds, but only reliably with a cable to the camera. An ethernet cable (up to 100m) to the camera can provide power (48v Power over Ethernet adapter for under £10) and a data connection back to a storage device. Ive used PCs and cloud storage, but for 24/7 I try to use a NAS (by QNAP, but others are similar). Current NAS has a free surveillance app (QVR Pro) that will do snapshots or event-driven recording for up to 8 IP cameras - these can be the £25 Chinese IP cameras provided they are PoE and ONVIF compatible (many are). Once you have a NAS (which has many other uses, such as storing your files or as a media server for your home), the rest of the setup can be under £100.

Back
Top Bottom