What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TILT!Audio 3.5 - Or other version advice

Goodwinsplace

Site Supporter
Alias
Goodwin
Hi All,

Just built up my TILT!Audio 3.5 board, had it sat on the shelf for a while.
The soldering was pretty straight forward other than one part on the 5V DC board which kept bridging but looking at the traces they are just legs rather than data/power lines.

It's to go in my Getaway HS2 table.

I've held of connecting everything up as the instructions are a bit vague in places.
I can see I need to change the speaker wiring which is fine, has anyone that has done this done it in a way that saves any issues going back to standard if required?
Does the Pi need its own power or is it taking it from the header?
Are there any final checks or tests people suggest before putting it in the machine?
Is there a discord or similar support group for TILT!Audio that I'm not seeing?

Cheers for any info from anyone that has installed one of these before.

Attachments

• TILTAudio-Goodwinsplace.jpg
    TILTAudio-Goodwinsplace.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 23
From what i remember the pi takes it's power from the main board power, so no additional power needed.
One thing i noticed (and it's been a while since ive looked at one of these) you seem to have both power options in place - i thought it was one or the other - however since Steve changes his board designs weekly who knows!!

@Pick Holder Any advice for @Goodwinsplace ?

From what i remember the pi takes it's power from the main board power, so no additional power needed.
One thing i noticed (and it's been a while since ive looked at one of these) you seem to have both power options in place - i thought it was one or the other - however since Steve changes his board designs weekly who knows!!

@Pick Holder Any advice for @Goodwinsplace ?
Thanks for the info on the Pi, I assumed that was the case, but didn't want to try firing it up and then find out it needed power.
Yeah - as far as I'm aware these ones are universal now so work across WPC and DE without needing to switch anything other than the SD card setup.

I had a TilrAudio in my HS2, but it kept reinitialising, so swapped the original sound board back in, rigging the speaker wiring. Checked it 4 times, cos the first 2 checks spotted that I'd done it wrong. Can see at some point trying to put it back in, but it prob won't work first time. To allow simple swapping, I'm planning on building a board so that I can make a set of leads to the speakers & the board that I can plug into either the tilt sockets or the stock sockets on my board & it deals with changing from one to the other. Will post a pic when I get to my PC.

I had a TilrAudio in my HS2, but it kept reinitialising, so swapped the original sound board back in, rigging the speaker wiring. Checked it 4 times, cos the first 2 checks spotted that I'd done it wrong. Can see at some point trying to put it back in, but it prob won't work first time. To allow simple swapping, I'm planning on building a board so that I can make a set of leads to the speakers & the board that I can plug into either the tilt sockets or the stock sockets on my board & it deals with changing from one to the other. Will post a pic when I get to my PC.
Thanks, I'd hope once it is in that it will stay in place until I decide to change to a different game in the future, but I've heard lots of stories similar to yours. That's why I didn't jump in and start pulling wires apart as wanted the option to switch back if needed.
Grateful for any photos when you have them.

Thanks, I'd hope once it is in that it will stay in place until I decide to change to a different game in the future, but I've heard lots of stories similar to yours. That's why I didn't jump in and start pulling wires apart as wanted the option to switch back if needed.
Grateful for any photos when you have them.
Not exactly photos, but this is what it looks like in EasyEDA

1632511425266.png

Nothing wrong with TiltAudio. Had one im my T2 without any issues. Got another 2 waiting to be assembled. Most of people moaning about it being buggy tried them years back. The project is being constantly upgraded and well supported by the author.

Nothing wrong with TiltAudio. Had one im my T2 without any issues. Got another 2 waiting to be assembled. Most of people moaning about it being buggy tried them years back. The project is being constantly upgraded and well supported by the author.
That's good news. From what I can see when they are up and running they offer a good amount of customisation.

I'm not getting much support from the website support chat.
Mine is booting, if I have a fresh SD card build in it then I get sound for the serial number, version etc. But as soon as I do anything more than that I get no sound.
Reboot and I don't even get the version or anything else the second time onwards.
I've tried with different raspisound.ini setups and different SD card speeds.
It's annoying as I know I'm really close, managed to get one game out of it with the custom sound and nothing since - it must be software related for the 3.5 version board but I can't figure out tonight what it is, will have another go tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I dont have one currently running to have a look. Did you connect over Wifi and check the settings? Sound packs loaded properly?

I dont have one currently running to have a look. Did you connect over Wifi and check the settings? Sound packs loaded properly?
Yeah over WiFi looks fine. But if I try and play any sounds through the web interface I get nothing. Can select between sound sets but no output.
Only way I can get sound again is by wiping the SD and starting again, even then it's touch and go. I'm sure it's just a setting and I'll be up and running.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Seems like I've beaten the riddle of Tilt!Audio.
Have it installed and configured with 6 different soundsets. I ideally want to do my own sound set in the future.
The biggest sticking point was getting audio on first boot then nothing, someone sent me a link to a German forum where someone had the same issue. Changed the audio device config and now all working.

It's certainly not plug and play but not terrible, I think now it's up and running it will only get better with software updates.
I've not looked in to the shaker and LED extras but fancy taking a look at that to add some more flashing strobes to go with the siren.

For anyone interested the install.
I missed putting up the screenshot of the config, and I changed the vendor=1 in raspisound.ini to get it all working properly.

Back
Top Bottom